Decrepit Birth
...And Time Begins

by The Writer Ov This Review USER (49 Reviews)
July 6th, 2009 | 17 replies | 7,122 views

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A shroud of sick tech death for the elite masses.

Brutality, this is the word that best describes Decrepit Birth. Their style brings guttural vocals and fast paced fretwork together over pulse pounding blastbeats and sickening rhythms. While this release isn't as technical as "Diminishing Between Worlds" it still holds its own. It also manages to throwdown some serious brutality.

Decrepit Birth hadn't gotten much love from technical death metal fans until their latest release which officially got them their own spot in the genre as one of the top dogs. This release is by no means one of the genre's essential albums, but it is one that fans of tech death should hear. The vocalist belches out his deep gutturals the whole record, no real variation to be found, except the occosional scream/puking noise. Honestly if you really look around in tech death none of the bands that have gotten noticed have extremely exciting vocalists (Cough)Necrophagist(Cough).

When listening to "...And Time Begins" there is always some kind of chugging or heavy punishing rhythm to be found. The sound quality on this record leaves much to be desired, the guitar is tracked fairly low along with the vocals. This allows the bass to be heard at times its not often that anything interesting is done by the bassist though. Just backing the guitarist for the most part though every once in awhile he does get a little solo (Only once I believe).

The guitar tone on the record is decent, its really just a heavily distorted, beefy sounding setup but it serves its purpose. The best showing of the guitarists writing capibility is on the instrumental "Of Genocide" the guitarist show they can melt faces the whole record, but on this particular song it is slowed down and extremely catchy, it probably has some of the best riffs featured on this album. There are no epic moments in this album like there were in "Diminishing Between Worlds" this may be a plus to someone who is into brutal death or just want to "slam out to sick pitriffs bro".

The drumming is the main thing that makes this a solid release. The drummer sticks to blastbeats for the most part, but every now and then you get the privelidge to hear him go ape*** on his kit, and believe me when I say this is a privelidge. Decrepit Birth have been blessed with some very talented musicians and it is very clearly displayed on this album, its noticable that they hadn't completely found their music identity when they recorded this, they were really just beggining to come into their own with their latest record.

Musically this album is tame compared to "Diminishing Between Worlds" in terms of brutality though this is the way to go. If you are strictly a tech death fan go for the latest if you want crushing brutality that will crush you this is the way to go, either way they are both good. When you listen to their two full lengths it is clear that Decrepit Birth is consistent and not just a one trick pony. Overall I give this a 3.5 out of 5 this has quite a bit replay value and stays fun and entertaining throughout. Don't put this at the top of your to get list, but it deserves to be somewhere on it.

Blaspherian Infernal Warriors Of DeathHaeresiarchs Of Dis Denuntiatus Cinis
Ana Kefr The Burial Tree (II)Autaric Demo 2009
Candle Serenade Nosferatu's PassionScaremaker What Evil Have They Summoned...

Wizard

19210 Comments

Decrepit Birth haven't got much love from technical death metal fans until their latest release which officially got them their own spot in the genre as one of the top dogs.

I fully agree. Thats how I got into them.

have been blessed with some very talented musicians anf it is

*and

Nice review dude. I don't think I've said this, but glad to have you back and reviewing some decent bands again.

Digging: Monarch - Sabbracadaver

CoRpSeSlAyEr
July 6th 2009

Pretty good album, i do like their newest album better.

combustion07
July 6th 2009

Why thank you. I also like their newest slightly more. Now, I'm off to edit this, I found a few mistakes and I might beef it up a bit.

Anthracks
July 6th 2009

this is way way better than DBW

Athom
July 6th 2009

i disagree with the above statement.

jingledeath
July 6th 2009

heh need to get into this band soon

sspedding

disgusting band name

InHumanForm
September 28th 2009

Yeah, this album is better than DBW, it's alot more technical.

InHumanForm

-other way around dude.

combustion07
September 28th 2009

I meant tame in the technical department.

landonius
August 16th 2010

I actually have this album cover on a shirt! saw them live two nights ago, they actually played three tracks off of this album. It was ridiculously intense live. It was Of Genocide, Prelude to the Apocalypse, and The Infestation.

MunsuLight
February 25th 2012

The more I listen to this , the more it seems their best.

DeathByAstonishment
May 16th 2012

Musicianship is top notch, kinda blurs together though.

DeathByAstonishment
August 18th 2012

I love the drumming on this, way better than KC Howard in Polarity.

ProfessorVeerappan
January 29th 2013

its simply mad tech death
that will transcend you into pure hatred mode...

Digging: Opeth - Pale Communion

666Micrograms
February 6th 2013

this album amuses me greatly. Got a zip-up with the album cover on the way

Eunuch