Suicide Silence
No Time to Bleed

1.5
very poor

by Motiv3 USER (8 Reviews)
July 3rd, 2009 | 39 replies

Review Summary: Suicide Silence are still suffering from the same flaws.

Suicide Silence is a blown up band. Everywhere I go there is always some metalhead talking about them, whether it is positive or negative. I was first introduced to this band about six months ago when my friend kept praising them as one of the best bands he had ever heard. I borrowed ‘The Cleansing’ off of him and despite my lack of music knowledge compared to now at the time what I did know was what I was getting treated to was a deathcore album with a *** load of unnecessary breakdowns and some downright horrible vocals. This band rightly gets compared to the likes of Job for a Cowboy but not in the ways you would expect if you are a fan of them both. The best way to show these comparisons is through both of their major debuts. Both are generic deathcore albums with a variety of ‘death metal’ like vocals, hardcore screaming and horrible pig squealing, in short both albums show the worst aspects of the deathcore genre. The difference between them both is JFAC are actually seeking to improve, whilst genesis was a downright borefest and Ruination is nothing more than an average technical death metal album, JFAC do seem to be improving with each album which shows the potential for them to release some good albums in the future. Suicide Silence however do not and I’m not even sure they want to. I mean, why change your original sound if you already have a substantially large fan base in the genre your playing in?

‘No time to bleed’ suffers from the same problems Suicide Silence had in the last album, albeit its even more repetitive than ‘The Cleansing’. There are less downright horrible moments just like with Doom to Genesis for JFAC but this does not improve the music. ‘Wake Up’ is probably the most repetitive and boring song on the album, the continious screaming of ‘Wake up! Wake up!’ with the same old breakdowns does absolutely nothing in substance and leaves you wondering when this is going to end. The solo saves the song from being downright horrible and is pretty decent if nothing ground-breaking. If you are not bored by now by around the 3rd minute you will be as it continues the same repetitive breakdowns and screaming from the first minute. Once you have heard this song you pretty much know what you are going to get for the next 10 songs which means the only people that are going to be satisfied are either fans of the genre or the band itself. The rest of us will be sitting twiddling our thumbs wondering when anything actually interesting is going to happen and probably wishing we were listening to something else.

The best parts of Suicide Silence for the most part seem to be the beginning of the songs. In some cases it is quite decent and gives you hope that something new will be brought into the album, that is until the vocals come in. I have listened to quite an array of death metal, deathcore and metalcore albums and bands but rarely does one make my ears bleed. The high pitched screaming literally rips your ear off and not in a good way. Not many vocalist actually make me cringe or make the music barely listenable but the high pitched screaming actually makes my ears hurt. The lower growled vocals are not as bad and are tolerable but does not make the music any better. Even first listening to Converge was not nearly as bad, the difference being Converge actually has a degree of musicianship that Suicide Silence can’t touch. I haven’t even got to the worst bit: this album actually shows some potential to write decent music. the solo in ‘Genocode’ is actually quite a nice part in the middle of a mediocre song which shows Suicide Silence has the potential to write some decent songs but do not or in my opinion do not want to do so, instead reverting back to the same old repetitive ‘songwriting’ that some brootal kids seem to falling for these days.

Overall Suicide Silence do not seem to be going anywhere with their sound. More repetitious and drawn out than ever if maybe a little less horrible, maybe they should learn a little bit from JFAC on how to improve their sound. Then again with their popularity, who can blame them if they don’t.

Lis Er Stille The CollibroBurzum Belus
Between the Buried and Me The Great MisdirectAnaal Nathrakh In the Constellation of the Black Widow
Behemoth EvangelionDream Theater Black Clouds & Silver Linings
2.6

July 3rd 2009

first review criticising an album, i spent less time on this one so if it seems a little rushed you know why.

sspedding
July 3rd 2009

Lifted is a good song, the rest is pretty boring. I think this is a lot better than the Cleansing though.

Wizard

19524 Comments

‘No time to bleed’

This is the 5th or 6th review I've read in the last few days where capitalization seems to be a problem. Take notes people.

I haven’t even got to the worst bit: this album actually has some nice touches in the middle of it, the solo in ‘Genocode’ is actually quite a nice part in the middle of a mediocre song which shows Suicide Silence has the potential to write some decent songs but do not or in my opinion do not want to do so, instead reverting back to the same old repetitive ‘songwriting’ that some brootal kids seem to falling for these days.

This sentence contradicts itself.

Ok review, I think stating that this album sucks is kind of obvious but whatever. What else could you have expected? hahaha

Have a vote for effort.

Digging: Godflesh - A World Lit Only By Fire

there's already 4 reviews

TrojanWhore
July 3rd 2009

Well this wasn't predictable. The average rating I foresaw would occur that is...

They're solid, just a tad bland.

actually they're terrible

July 3rd 2009

This sentence contradicts itself.

no it doesnt, maybe i wasnt clear. The worst bit is that they could have the potential to write better music but do not take advantage of this, thats the point i was trying to make.

there's already 4 reviews

none of them criticize the album as much as mine, i needed to get my point of view across.

Btw would be nice to know why i got 3 negs from whom and why so i know where to improve, unless it was a couple of fanboys, but i cant really seeing any fanboys of this band on this site haha oh well i could be surprised.

i didn't neg

ninjuice
July 3rd 2009

Probably 70% of the people who neg aren't going to say they did or why.
There are 10 people who gave this a rating of 3.5/4 so it might three of them i dunno.

71965 Comments

pos

Digging: Exodus - Blood In, Blood Out

hahaha 6 out of 9 hahaha

Wizard

19524 Comments

Then maybe you should change it if it's not clear.

I gave this a pos' vote because the content was well done.

July 4th 2009

i changed it and thanks Wiz

71965 Comments

alot of faggots negging this

TrojanWhore
July 4th 2009

too many fags on mx init

July 4th 2009

You should see Kerrang's review of this, they practically jizzed all over it

EDIT: Listening to Wake Up, what the fuck

SmurkinGherkin
July 4th 2009

I hate Kerrang.... RockSound all the way.

Meh, I still read it

SmurkinGherkin
July 4th 2009

Buy Rock Sound. I find alot of new bands through the free CD they have. Plus they actually have decent content and articles unlike Kerrang which is written with the skill of a 4 year old.

I read Kerrang AND NME, I'm not reading another fudging magazine