Suicide Silence
No Time to Bleed

by Jeremy Bentham USER (65 Reviews)
June 28th, 2009 | 15 replies

Review Summary: Overall, a good 2nd record from Suicide Silence showing that they can still deliver a good and heavy deathcore release.

Now, for a long time, Death Metal or any of its sub-genres did not appeal to me. The gutteral vocals, the heavily detuned guitar crunch, and the blastbeats and insane drum playing were too much for my mind when I was just getting into metal. As I got older, I began to appreciate it more for what it is. Before going to the Mayhem Festival in 2008, I discovered that Suicide Silence were playing on the bill. I had never heard of them before, so I listened to a few tracks on myspace and got their debut album, "The Cleansing". There were a lot of problems with it, but over all it was great and enjoyable for a deathcore album and I enjoyed it a lot more than anything Job For A Cowboy had done (which is another death metal band I attempted to get into, but really couldnt) and they just destroyed live at the Mayhem Festival. So, when I heard that "No Time to Bleed" was scheduled for release, I really wanted to give it a listen.

The band have stepped it up a bit from "The Cleansing" in some ways, but in other ways they really havent. The vocals are and always will be the highlight of this band. Mitch Lucker is an absolute monster and it shows just as much on this record as it did on the last. His screaming and vocal style are as crushing and distinct as ever and he really does a great job at delivering heavy vocal work. Guitarists Chris Garza and Mark Heylmun are stilll playing those heavy, distorted, crunching detuned guitar riffs but this time around the guitar work has become more interesting. There some interesting leads and even a solo here and there which shows at least some maturity. Bassist Dan Kenny is drowned in the mix by the monstrous guitar crunch but every now and then he has some time to make his presence known when the guiars arent playing as much (see "Your Creations" for an example of this). Alex Lopez isn't a bad drummer at all and his playing on the record shows it. He doesn't do a lot to stand out but he still delivers crushing beats and keeps the furious pace of the music up to give it that trademark SS feel.

Instead of having an intro like on the last album, this one gets straight to the point with the heavy opener, "Wake Up". It's a song they've been playing live for a while now and it works as a catchy, heavy, and in-your-face album opener but it's not one of the best tracks. "Smoke" sees a great vocal performance from Mitch as he spits the lyrics out very fast but still keeping his signature style going and has some screeching guitar work in the songs beginning. The title track is brilliant and features that 'crushing' feel that "No Pity For A Coward" did on the last record and features a crushing breakdown and vocal performance towards the end. Out of the 11 tracks on the album, the most dissapointing would have to be "...And Then She Bled". It's their attempt at an instrumental track which never should have been done. Yeah, it keeps a dark flow going through the album but it shows nothing special than just a bunch of heavy riffs we've already heard before. "Disengage" serves as a superb album closer, with Mitch bellowing one last roar into the microphone as the song fades out and the album finishes.

The lyrical department has mainly been about murder, death, revenge, and violence when it comes to SS as it has been with most death metal bands and won't be taken by all as interesting. SS have a great ability to take their songs from the recordings (as heavy as they already are) and turn them into beasts at live shows.....which, when combined with their stage presence, make them an incredible live band to see. On this record, they spew more energy as a band then they ever have before, which is another reason why on their next tour they will most likely deliver even more than the last.

"No Time to Bleed" is overall a good 2nd full-length record for Suicide Silence. It shows some maturity at some points, but then it doesn't at others. if you liked "The Cleansing" and enjoy their style, then you will like this for sure. It will not appeal to all, but for those who are into deathcore or SS at all, this record is for you. Its not going to be one of the best album's released this year, but it serves as a crushing release building up from their last album...which is what Suicide Silence may have wanted all along.

Dayshell DayshellKorn The Paradigm Shift

good review horrible band

Digging: A Guy Called Gerald - Black Secret Technology

SuckleMyKnuckle
June 28th 2009

I don't know if it's fair to say that Suicide Silence's lyrics have "mainly been about murder, death, revenge, and violence ". Not saying they're lyrical geniuses, but they are more diverse than that at the very least. Good review though, it gave me a good idea of what the record is about.

Seek and Destroy
June 29th 2009

Review is very good, well done. A friend keeps trying to get me to like SS but keeps failing.

TrojanWhore
July 3rd 2009

Most balanced and unbiased review for SS I've ever read.

ManicDemise
July 7th 2009

Great review.
This band isn't all that great..this album is just as generic as their first, but they've also improved vastly. I didn't mind it..I like it better than The Cleansing, at least.

Digging: The Contortionist - Language

ThuggiesDotNet
July 21st 2009

Seeing Mitch on the cover of this months Revolver was upsetting to say the least. Maybe if he had less tattoos? Would Born Of Osiris get more press if Ronnie had better hair?

Douglas
July 21st 2009

Band is horrible

Digging: The Preatures - Blue Planet Eyes

ThePalestMexican

Awesome review

Phantom
February 13th 2010

no time to bleed; got juns to write

EasternLight
February 13th 2010

moar liek no time to make good music

Urination

TheSpirit
February 13th 2010

BassDemon, i'm surprised you would endorse this ...

Digging: Wreodan Heahl - Laecig

Nikkolae
February 13th 2010

"Most balanced and unbiased review for SS I've ever read."

ShadowRemains
April 15th 2010

20846 Comments

I hate this album, the same cannot be said for the review

MarkTheDead
February 11th 2011

I agree with your review, & it was written well!
But I've always been a big fan of SS, I also like the lyrics behind their work. I just wish they used better diction...
:[
A little more complexity, less straightforward.