Regina Spektor
Far

by Eric USER (161 Reviews)
June 27th, 2009 | 47 replies

Review Summary: Mix a bit of Soviet Kitsch's unique quirkiness with a touch of Begin to Hope's catchy hooks. Add Regina's consistent, personal songwriting along with her mellifluous voice... and vio-là, you get her best album to date: Far.

I don’t know Regina Spektor personally, but I can safely assume I’ve met her time and time again. She’s THAT girl; you know the one. She sits in class with a permanent, beaming smile on her exuberant face every day of the week. While her persistent grin may become a bit irritating at times, more often than not it brightens your day. If you’ve never had the pleasure of hearing this songstress before, try to imagine what would happen if Feist and Rilo Kiley got together and gave birth to a child that shared their talents. I’ll admit, I approached Far, her latest album, with some apprehension. Would this be the sparse and quirky Regina of Soviet Kitsch, or would Far be more along the lines of Begin to Hope, her pop-infused effort three years ago? With Far, Spektor performs a balancing act very well. She unleashes 13 songs that blend the intimate songwriting and quirkiness of Soviet Kitsch with the catchy, accessible pop sensibilities of Begin to Hope, all while remaining undeniably cute and endearing with her sweet, mellifluous voice.

The first four songs embody a cheerful and jovial atmosphere, as Spektor is delightful and charming. Her piano-driven melodies have never been as spot-on as they are on “The Calculation.” The first five seconds of this pleasant little ditty are very telling of the rest of the album, they command that a smile goes on your face and your head begins bobbing at that very instant. “Eet” starts out in the more somber, reserved tone of Soviet Kitsch as Spektor recalls the sad feeling of forgetting the words to a favorite song:“You were always singin’ along/It was so easy/And the words so sweet/You can’t remember/You try to feel the beat.” Though, about halfway through the song, Regina can’t help but once again embrace her catchier, pop side.

Tracks 3 and 4, “Blue Lips” and ”Folding Chair,” follow in a similar vein. “Blue Lips” takes a more introspective, sober tone, while “Folding Chair” is the most upbeat number on Far. Regina dangles charming little lines like…
“Let's get a silver bullet trailer and have a baby boy/I'll safety pin his clothes all cool and you'll graffiti up his toys/I've got a perfect body, but sometimes I forget/I've got a perfect body, 'cause my eyelashes catch my sweat/yes they do,”
…that will make you cringe with delight when you hear them. This portion of the album is a perfect example as to why Spektor shines so brightly on Far. My two personal favorites of Spektor’s are also her two most unlike on the album, once again showcasing this balancing act that she performs with ease.

Now, at this point you may be wondering why I have concentrated so heavily on the first four tracks. Unfortunately, Spektor’s steam runs out a bit after “Folding Chair.” Regina’s smooth vocals voice and catchy piano hooks keep the album moving, but not much else sticks out. “Laughing With” provides good single material with its memorable lyrics, but not much else. “Two Birds" through “One More Time with Feeling” don’t quite live up to the expectations set with the first four outstanding tracks. “Man of A Thousand Faces” ends Far very appropriately. Regina outfits this track with very personal lyrics and a new found subdued tone. This solid track concludes an excellent album.

I can’t help but to recommend this album to anybody who enjoys relaxing with a smile on their face, possibly on a warm summer morning with a cool iced tea in hand. The dichotomy of personal and quirky lyrics blended with her catchier pop melodies make this record difficult not to love. Far isn’t the most dense or meaningful of albums, but it’s very accessible and sure to put a smile on your face. Unlike the girl with the everlasting grin, Regina manages to be tirelessly upbeat without crossing the line into irritating territory. And who knows? Listen to Far enough and you might become a little more like the perpetually smirking person than you realize.

Recommended Tracks
The Calculation
Blue Lips
Eet
Folding Chair
Man of a Thousand Faces

Mogwai Rave TapesTau Tau Eyelids
Ghost Ship Golden GirlsCrosses EP
Warren Franklin Your Heart Belongs To The MidwestFrightened Rabbit A Frightened Rabbit EP
SophiesVoice (5)
Spektor delievers a weighty display of her boundless musical talents while still giving in to her ha...

Rudy K. STAFF (3.5)
Far is not a perfect album, and it will no doubt leave many fans disgruntled, but it can’t be said...

Channing Freeman STAFF (4.5)
The simple fact behind Regina Spektor's music is that she can do no wrong....

I know,
It's all been done before,
I wanna do it again,
I wanna do it again

Yea, sorry, I know this is completely unnecessary considering it says basically the same thing as the other two reviews.
This was written for something else and I wanted to see what Sputnik thought of it first.
So please, criticize the writing or the thoughts presented please, and not the fact that it brings nothing new to the site really.

Digging: Holy Sons - Lost Decade II

some lame opinions here

June 27th 2009

well, it's been well established that bolding is gay first

anyway I always feel really compelled to listen to this album and love it right through "Laughing With" then get bored by "dance anthem of the 80s"

probably gonna go to a 3.5

Digging: Ricky Eat Acid - Three Love Songs

20321 Comments

since when is bolding gay?! I was told to bold. and Machine is the worst.

June 27th 2009

my rule of thumb is italicize album names and lyrics, and just quotes for song titles. no reason to really bold it up imo

20321 Comments

I feel like I'd be conforming to your nonsense if I go ahead and change it now, but oh well... you're the staff reviewer.

June 27th 2009

don't use coding just put song titles in quotes and don't do anything to album titles

AtavanHalen

Italics rule

June 27th 2009

my being a coding virtuoso got me the promotion tbh

20321 Comments

lol seriously? maybe it's worth knowing then?

June 27th 2009

he got promoted cuz i said he should be promoted

ninjuice
June 28th 2009

Review is ok, and the average rating for this is sad.

June 28th 2009

damnit, i can't get this one either. typed in 'on mediafire' and '.rar' and nothing.

ninjuice
June 28th 2009

damnit, i can't get this one either.

It's pretty easy to find in stores seeing as how it's a NEW RELEASE

June 28th 2009

definitely man. i don't want to buy every record i'm curious to hear.

June 28th 2009

please don't talk to me, you're clearly very rude.

OllieS

2031 Comments

Review was fantastic and more concise than the others, pos'd.

Avirov
June 28th 2009

Feist comparison was bullshit, but other than that cool review.

June 28th 2009

Well, this is a great album but I dont like it more than Begin To Hope. Might eventually drop to 3.5.

Digging: She Past Away - Belirdi Gece

jrowa001
June 28th 2009

Machines is too awesome of a song. i need to listen to Begin To Hope more, i tend to listen to Soviet Kitsch more often