Third Eye Blind
Red Star

by TerminalC USER (7 Reviews)
June 27th, 2009 | 7 replies | 5,832 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Best EP EVER

To celebrate the upcoming release of "Ursa Major" I figured a review of the "Red Star EP" was in order. While I'm not often a fan of EP's, especially short ones, the "Red Star EP" stands as one of, if not the best, EP I've heard in many years.
While the EP may only be a measly three tracks each song bristles with it's own unique vibe, each representing a different style and approach which could result in three entirely different albums to come. Third Eye Blind have managed to offer an EP which gives the listener so much to digest, but ultimately maintains a air of secrecy around the aforementioned "Ursa Major" as to what approach the album will take.
"Non-Dairy Creamer" is the first track off the EP and the single released to promote the release. Instantly one can recognize the shift in Stephen Jenkin's writing style, Third Eye Blind has gone political. This track offers an interesting and highly sarcastic view of modern society, openly showing disdain for modern American Society.
The second track, "Red Star", acts as an odd hybrid of love song and political commentary. Lyrics such as, "Dissent is now illegal/She must pay the consequence/In this thriller mystery baby/You are my suspense" show case an evolved sense of social awareness, society is entwined with every aspect of life whether we like it or not.
The third an final track, "Why Can't You Be? (live)" is without a doubt on of Third Eye Blind's best songs to date. Besides the incredibly impressive live performance and sound quality the track virtually overflows with romantic, political, and personal emotions, providing a proverbial roller coaster of emotion. The opening lines, "Are you frightened by the weight you posses? Or is this life just weightlessness?" is one of Third Eye Blind's best lyrics to date, and hopefully bodes well for the upcoming "Ursa Major".
While on three tracks long the "Red Star EP" stands as one of the best releases of Third Eye Blind's career and sets expectations for "Ursa Major" even higher than they had been previously. Perhaps I put too much stock in a paltry three tracks, but in my mind no three tracks have ever been laden with more meaning.

This Good Robot The Human I AmThe Audition Great Danger
The Forecast The ForecastFear Nuttin Band Yardcore
Harvey Danger Where Have All The Merrymakers Gone?And Then There Were None The Hope We Forgot Exists

Best review ever.

Phantom

BEST TEXT EVER

gaslightanthem

BEST TEXT EVER

TerminalC
June 27th 2009

as soon i as looked over my review a realized a multitude of grammatical and spelling errors, but alas, i am drunk, so don't criticize the small errors too harshly

PuddleSwimmer
June 28th 2009

Give me back my photos, will you?
Errrrrrrghhh You FUCKING whore I'll KILL you!

nice review also

Wildcatforever
June 28th 2009

These songs are all solid but they are nothing compared to most of the songs on the self-titled.

JWT155
April 3rd 2011

Not a big fan of this EP.