Asphyx
Death... The Brutal Way

by rasputin USER (196 Reviews)
June 24th, 2009 | 45 replies

Review Summary: Asphyx continue to impress with yet another solid album.

Although Asphyx never represented the pinnacle of the doom inspired death metal that was rampant at the beginning of the nineties, the fact that they have consistently released record after record for almost twenty years while maintaining a semblance of quality is merely a nod towards their unyielding musicianship. Death... The Brutal Way is Asphyx’s seventh full length album, and there isn’t much one will find here that hasn’t been already displayed on earlier releases. In that regard, it’s rather fortunate that Asphyx are good at what they do, their dependable approach to the genre allowing them to get away with sustaining a similar style for so long.

The album begins without a moment’s hesitation, ‘Scorbutics’ throwing the listener into a frenzy of riffing and Martin van Drunen’s menacing vocals. Van Drunen is generally intelligible, and his moderately guttural approach is somewhat unique – he spews out the words with an almost comical and belligerent relish, which simply adds to the album’s appeal. One might think that after so many years and so many albums the band would have run out of good riffs, but Death... The Brutal Way is hard evidence against this – Asphyx revel in their death/doom fusion, and the album’s grooviest and catchiest sections are without a doubt those that best show their combination of slow doom inspired chug and faster face shredding death metal.

Despite the temperate pace of the entire album, discerning between the various tempos that diversify Asphyx’s approach is crucial to its success. While ‘Scorbutics’ remained relatively fast-paced, it is followed by the apocalyptic ‘The Herald’, which features an intense mid-section closely resembling the soul crushing fury of Disembowelment. ‘Bloodswamp’ continues on with this blending of styles, but Asphyx make sure not to overuse their strongest point, allowing a bit of relief in the shape of the speedy title track. My use of the word ‘relief’ however, is relative; while the band makes constant interchanges between doom and death, each in turn providing ‘relief’ from the other, the album is ultimately relentless.

My initial reservations about the album were easily subdued with a single concentrated listen – despite the slightly annoying fuzzy production which washes over the entire thing, the absence of wasteful technicality and abundance of solid old-school styled death metal leaves Death…The Brutal Way an album that takes pride in its simplicity. Asphyx do not aim higher than their own abilities, and their forthcoming approach makes them nothing short of an enjoyable listen.

Hoax HoaxHakaristi Hakaristi
Burial Invocation Rituals of the GrotesqueEibon Entering Darkness
Abe Sada / Sub Ordnance Redux / Organ GrinderIron Lung/Mind Eraser/HS/Scapegoat Brutal Supremacy

jingledeath
June 25th 2009

Great review, man. Album is probably not better than Last One On Earth but I'll still end up giving this a 4. Van Drunen's vocals are beastly.

noisymugwump
June 25th 2009

Asphyx never were much more than mediocre to me. All their early stuff is worth listening to but I lost interest in their string of generic albums. Solid review anyhow.

June 25th 2009

yeah, though the production is (obviously) better

yeah, i've only heard two of their albums, but i got the impression they've never really varied themselves much. this is a pretty easy and fun listen, nonetheless.

June 25th 2009

looking at some of your ratings, i think you would like it

Crysis
June 25th 2009

I need more doom, so I shall start here, doom/death seems pretty interesting.

Bravo good sir.

Digging: Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta III ? Saturnian Poetry

FistfulOfSteel
June 25th 2009

was going to check this out a little while ago, but wasn't sure. i think i may now.

June 25th 2009

I need more doom, so I shall start here, doom/death seems pretty interesting.

It's not actually doom, don't be mistaken. It's old school death metal, but doom inspired. Think Incantation.

Wizard

19437 Comments

rasputin needs someone to give his 'ass a fix' hahahaha

Review was great as usual. This sounds awesome, adding to list.

It's old school death metal, but doom inspired. Think Incantation.

Kind of like Autopsy too?

Digging: Nightbringer - Ego Dominus Tuus

Crysis
June 25th 2009

Ahhhh okay I got ya, I'll still get this though.

June 25th 2009

Kind of like Autopsy too?

Yup, definitely.

Anthracks
June 26th 2009

more like autopsy probably, asphyx are no where near as evil sounding or atmospheric as incantation

Digging: Perfume Genius - Too Bright

well yeah, obviously

Wizard

19437 Comments

Anthracks dropping the knowledge.

Relinquished
June 27th 2009

Checked this out yesterday and it sounds good.

June 27th 2009

Great review. I want to hear these guys.

Digging: Skrew - Universal Immolation

Piglet
June 28th 2009

yet another positive metal album for the year- except with a cheesy name.

great review.

Phantom
June 28th 2009

I just realised that I need to check this out.

June 28th 2009

This is the first album I've heard by them, it's good. I don't think I've heard any Doom-inspired death metal at all besides this album... Reccomendations?

June 28th 2009

Decomposed - Hope Finally Died... is a a lot like this, perhaps even doomier. If you want some solid death metal but with the subtle doom influence in the riffing, have a listen to Autopsy or Incantation, albums Mental Funeral and Diabolical Conquest respectively.

June 28th 2009

Cool thanks. I'll get on that.