All Time Low
The Party Scene

by JacquesBoy USER (2 Reviews)
June 21st, 2009 | 30 replies | 12,931 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Prepare yourself for 40 minutes of some of the best pop-punk you’ll hear all year.

I remember when I was 17 years old. I did a lot of stupid things, as well as some great things, but I never did what the 4 members of All Time Low did. That would be releasing a debut album under independent label Emerald Moon Records. Hailing from Baltimore, All Time Low (consisting of lead vocalist and guitarist Alex Gaskarth, guitarist Jack Barakat, bassist Zack Merrick, and drummer Rian Dawson) have released an album, titled “The Party Scene”, filled with great melodies, catchy sing-alongs, and energizing guitar hooks. If you were listening to this album for the first time, not knowing who the band was, you would think that this would be an established pop-punk band’s second or third album. You would think that a band with four 17 year-olds wouldn’t be able to write an album as good as this. But All Time Low has surprised many, showing that they are very talented despite how young they are. Prepare yourself for 40 minutes of some of the best pop-punk you’ll hear all year.

“The Party Scene” starts with a short prelude that leads you into Gaskarth’s raw vocals on the title track. I am impressed by the vocals on this album, not all 17 year-olds can sing like this. There is no trace of a whine in his voice. The hooks in the title track haven’t left my head for a while. “Lullabies” begins with soft vocals backed by with the gentle strumming of the guitar. Gaskarth’s vocals then rise as the guitars kick in and the drumming picks up. “Hometown Heroes, National Nobodies” is the fastest song on the album, as it gets to business right away. It reminds me a lot of old school NFG, minus the annoying vocals. Gaskarth does a great job of harmonizing on this track. “Circles” is a harder song with a slight dark undertone. “Break Out! Break Out!” is definitely my favorite track on this album, as it punches you in the back of the head, only to caress it with the insanely catchy chorus. All Time Low shows some range with “Running From Lions”, a soothing acoustic song filled with handclaps and superb harmonizing.
“The Girl’s A Straight Up Hustler” reminds me a little of Northstar, a song that starts up slowly, only to pick up towards the end. To the end the album, the boys give us a little humor and booty shaking with a techno song titled “Sticks, Stones, and Techno”. It’s a fun way to end a stellar pop-punk album.

All Time Low is ready to take over your ears as your new favorite pop-punk band. 13 upbeat tracks ready to bounce around in your brain and emerge from your mouth. All Time Low has the potential to be the next The Academy Is… and Cartel, and be even better than those bands. So, put on your dancing shoes, this is one “Party” you don’t want to miss.

3.1
good

ToWhatEnd
June 22nd 2009

Couple o things. First of all major major props for choosing this as your first review and actually knowing the background. I'm assuming you're from Maryland (like me) or the surrounding area since you name dropped Emerald Moon. Neat stuff.

The review wasn't the greatest but you can correct things very easily. If you do a track-by-track review like you did - these aren't preferred but many do them for their first few reviews - you need to go into more detail about the songs. If you want to stick with the paragraph format, try to focus more on the overall sound and record, and pick out a handful of songs which sum up its strengths and weaknesses well.

Lastly: Please keep reviewing! The pop-punk fans on this site are seldom, and the fact that you even own and reviewed this makes me curious to see what else you listen to. Alright that's all I got; sorry for leaving you a book of a comment.

Nikkolae
June 22nd 2009

probs their best album to date, The girl is a straigh up hustler is a guilty pleasure of mine hahahaha

Digging: Pallbearer - Foundations of Burden

wheresmyipod
October 27th 2009

Loved this review and I like how you talked about Alex Gaskarth's voice (Y)

mechatanner
August 5th 2010

So im a bit confused, how is the rating 2.9, if both of the ratings it recieved are higher than that??

Pretty good review man, i liked the way you described alex's voice. pretty much spot on.

theacademy
August 5th 2010

this is proggier and darker than their recent stuff?

Digging: Kimbra - The Golden Echo

DiceMan

theacademy brings thuh lollerskates

incomtaxes

dshidahsuidhweor gayu

theacademy
August 5th 2010

the joke is on us, dice, we actually clicked something that said "all time low" on it...

Arecibo
March 16th 2011

The best they've made.

This seriously is a great album, each song stands out enough and there's a sense of earnest and honesty that the next albums lack.

JaySeanFenris
August 25th 2011

This album is the very first album that got me into Pop-Punk.

With that being said: this review isn't written by you. It's exactly the same as: http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=100450

Only Drew's review was written 12/08/05. About three and a half years before this review...

DaveyBoy

20856 Comments

Pop-punk fans who are not so enamored with All Time Low's recent output would be well served to discover their terrific debut LP 'The Party Scene'. Fusing together many genre influences, the teenage quartet craft quality song structures with beyond-their-years lyrics. Surprisingly, there is some really effective guitar work evident, while Alex Gaskarth's raw vocals show none of the over-produced slickness of their later work. Catchy, consistent & with virtually no filler (bar the synth-heavy hidden track), this is a notably promising debut. Recommended Tracks: The Party Scene, The Girl's A Straight-Up Hustler, Hometown Heroes - National Nobodies & Noel.

Tyrael

20825 Comments

ahahahahahahaha

DaveyBoy

20856 Comments

Ahhh, spur of the moment ratings... Gotta love 'em.

Tyrael

20825 Comments

I actually have this on my HD

I have all 4 of their albums

they're corrupting all my files

Lenix
September 8th 2012

aw, back to when this band didn't suck

joshieboy12345
September 25th 2012

I cannot believe how great this band were before they got famous and just went insanely generic. This, Put Up Or Shut Up and So Wrong It's Right were fantastic pop-punk records.

LifeAsAChipmunk
September 25th 2012

Yeah, this is really underrated. Some great pop punk songs in those 3 albums. Too bad the new album will likely be a 1.5.

joshieboy12345
October 14th 2012

I am eating my words, the new album is great. Best album since So Wrong It's Right.

Cygnatti
December 21st 2012

this album was so saves the day worship...

I fucking love it.

Cygnatti
February 23rd 2013

I don't get why this album is so poorly received here. It doesn't sound anything like how they sound now.