Blood of Kingu
De Occulta Philosophia

by Frederick Metzengerstein USER (202 Reviews)
June 20th, 2009 | 19 replies | 7,016 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: More kvlt, underground Eastern European black metal for the able bodied elites.

Roman Saenko. The Ukranian multi instrumentalist known predominantly for his folky atmospheric black metal project Drudkh has a few other musical occupations that deserve some honorable mention. Since Drudkh is poised to release their new album Microcosmos in less than a week, now seems like a greater time than any to cover his musical territory. Firstly there was Hate Forest, the long running (1994-2005) furious black metal unit that polarized the usage of thinly veiled production. Emitting buzz like reverberations and a compressed and airtight environment, there really wasn’t much room for any instrument to stand out besides emotionless, piercing riffage and agonizing growls. Dark Ages was a minimalist one man dark ambient project utilizing simplistic melodies and drawn out segments to feed off atmosphere. Then there’s the project Blood Of Kingu, the project that I’ve chosen to write about first. Much like Dark Ages, Roman Saenko is the sole member/songwriter/musician. Unlike Dark Ages though, Blood Of Kingu is a stimulating black metal project.

The name Blood of Kingu is derived from the Babylonian god Kingu who would later go on and be slain by another Babylonian god named Marduk therefore allowing his blood to be used to create mankind. An interesting concept for sure. Themes of Sumerian culture continue run amok through Blood Of Kingu’s debut full length record De Occulta Philosophia. A far cry of Drudkh’s typical usage of Ukranian poetry. Much like Roman’s preceding bands, Blood Of Kingu incorporate the same fuzzy atmosphere, droning repetition, and barometrical melodies. Drudkh’s penchant for Slavic folk elements and Hate Forest’s one dimensional songwriting are nowhere to be found. Instead Roman opts for a more melodic yet still quite raw black metal approach with an emphasis towards creative guitar playing and extended instrumental passages.

Despite dropping the acoustic guitars, synthesizers and flutes, Drudkh’s influence still prevails in the riffing department. Perception deceives the listener into thinking he/she is listening to the former band because Blood Of Kingu share the same comprehension for creating expansive passages that challenge the listener’s will. Roman utilizes the standard black metal formula of furious tremolo picking and abrupt tempo shifts with discretely hidden melodies underneath all the fuzz yet achieve greater results than his Norwegian counterparts due to engaging riff patterns and a rare sense of catchiness.

Vocally, Roman attempts to expand beyond his repertoire of raspy, black metal growling by implementing a bellowing, shaman-esque grunt. Picture Blood Of The Black Owl’s latest release but not quite as irritating. I suppose his reasoning to incorporate was to add to the music‘s ambience. Regardless of inclusion it doesn’t really add or subtract from Blood Of Kingu’s musical nature. Mostly, Roman sticks to his traditional rasp which is always effective and quite distinguishable amongst the excesses of black metal.

On the drums is you guessed it, Roman Saenko. Composed of a hammering snare drum, crisp cymbal bashing, and breakneck double bass, Roman generally opts for one speed and one speed only. And that my friends is blitzkrieg 11/10. However he attempts to break away from the monotony by adding some tribal flair to the fourteen second “Vatjarani”. Overall, nothing exceedingly mind-blowing is displayed on De Occulat Philosophia other than the tempos at which it’s played. Roman is still a competent drummer nonetheless. Onto the bass playing. What bass? Incorporating black metal stereotype number three is kind of discouraging but when the guitars and drums completely dominate the album what’s a hollowed out bass line to do?

Overall, Blood Of Kingu doesn’t exactly compare in terms of quality and uniqueness with Roman’s main project Drudkh but what B.O.K lacks in personality is made up in fierce melodic aggression, killer riffing, and competent songwriting/musicianship. De Occulta Philosphia is a record that I recommend for the (semi) seasoned black metal pro that’s looking to expand their library. If black metal turns you off in general because of all the blatant Satan imagery and frostbitten grimness (you pussies) than this is for you. Next up…..Dub….Buk.

So Hideous Last Poem/First Light13th Moon The Pale Spectre over the Worm
Theophany Time's End: Majora's Mask RemixedAt Dawn They Sleep Red Sun
Black Magick SS PanzerwitchMadonna True Blue

June 20th 2009

I really busted out the thesaurus for this one. Any errors or disfragmented sentences of sorts?

June 20th 2009

I like your reviews, this one was great as well. I will more than likely look into this. Great job Technoviking :D :pos:

Hawks
June 20th 2009

Really good review as always Balls. This sounds really cool.

Digging: Equilibrium - Erdentempel

jingledeath

what Hawks said

Zip
June 21st 2009

I'm prolly not elite enough for this.

Hawks
June 21st 2009

Nobody but Balls is elite enough for this.

Metalstyles
June 21st 2009

great review Ballsy, but I am far from being a bm pro so I'm going to pass on this one

June 21st 2009

As much as I love b.m i love mocking it, so don't take my summaries and/or "elitist" tags seriously. And thank you guys.

Phantom
June 21st 2009

I'd take out the 'continue' or make it 'continually'. Apart from that, nice review, although I have one question, what about the non-able bodied elites?

scyther
June 21st 2009

Nice job on the review, I need more Black Metal.

June 21st 2009

I didnt realize people would take it seriously phantom. I thought my typical dark sense of humor would prevail. Meh, I suppose I might have to edit my summary.

Nagrarok
June 21st 2009

Nah, it's just some bits of non-elite black metal for me.

ThusSpokeZarathustra
June 21st 2009

Quite a good album, a shame it’s so damn short though.
I’m going to have to change my rating to a 3.5 since that’s what I gave 'Estrangement' and HF's 'Purity' and I feel this is about the same quality as those two.

Nice review btw. Which Dub Buk album do you plan to review??

Phantom
June 21st 2009

Balls, my question was also tongue in cheek, haha.

The summary is fine.

June 21st 2009

Idu Na Wy!. probaly in a week though, I'm driving south for a few days.

noisymugwump
July 3rd 2009

Good review. Blood of Kingu is great and to me is like a continuation of Hate Forest's aggressive style with a new set of themes. Drudkh is all well and good but Roman excels at the pounding raw stuff. The interludes are pretty damn zany too.

Zyhaal
January 3rd 2011

great stuff, but the vocals is inaudible

ProfessorVeerappan
August 21st 2013

the two affiliated artists are fucking awesome that one has to hear this artist which too
i haven't heard the album yet but with so much of the Eastern- European influence is there then indeed you got to get your ears together

Digging: Opeth - Pale Communion