Nasum
Grind Finale

by ThyCrossAwaits USER (46 Reviews)
June 7th, 2009 | 20 replies | 7,426 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "All we need now is the perfect...nasum."

Nasum was a pivotal grindcore band from Sweden. They split up in 2004 after the death of guitarist/vocalist Miezsko Talarczyk. Grind Finale was released posthumously in 2006 by guitarist/bassist Anders Jakobson. It is a compilation of all Nasum's non-album recordings and holds the records for most songs on an album.

To start, this album absolutely astounds me. How any band could possibly have 152 such mind-blowing songs that DIDN'T make it to an album is beyond my comprehension. Nasum played a perfect yet endlessly malleable style of death-grind, and every one of their style changes and experimentation can be heard on this record.

According to Grind Finale's abundant and descriptive liner notes, Nasum got it's beginnings when original drummer/vocalist Rickard Alriksson and aforementioned Anders Jakobson were writing songs for their death metal band Necrony. They began jamming short grindcore songs, and thus they started a new band with mutual friend Miezsko Talarczyk, and Nasum was born. The band's death metal influence is obvious in the first few recordings. A truly enjoyable part of Grind Finale is hearing the band progress sonically. The first songs are obviously death-influenced, while later recordings sound more grindcore with strong ties to Repulsion. By the time you reach the second disc of this album, Nasum's lineup will have shuffled several times, but the band's sound will have reached a perfect blend of death metal, grind, and eventual leading man Miezsko's endless supply of juicy riffage.

While Nasum experiment and evolve within the 11 years spanned on Grind Finale, they stay consistent in one way: their undying loyalty to their music. Unbelievable it may be, but there is no filler on this 2-disc, 2-hour record. Apart from a handful of laughable 4-second tracks such as "Rens" and "Red Tape Suckers," every other song consists of impassioned and caustic (albeit variant in style) vocals encased in an incredibly catchy hook-riff. If you're skeptical, feast your ears on the dual vocals in "See the *** (With Your Own Eyes)" and try to keep your pants dry. Now imagine a hundred and forty-odd MORE tracks containing just as many, if not more, similar auditory orgasms.

Yes, Grind Finale is a sort of "Best of..." album, and yes, Nasum have released several excellent "true" albums in their 11-year run, but Grind Finale is a collection of songs that are all at once entertaining, thought-inducing, funny, and above all just bloody brilliant. It's like a tape-recorded documentary of a true band, one that plays music because they ***ing want to and play grindcore because that's what they ***ing like and THAT, my friends, is how it should be ***ing done. 5/5

Swans The SeerDarkosis Darkosis
Dragged Into Sunlight WidowMakerThe Killers Battle Born
Om Advaitic SongsGrinning Death's Head Golden Dawn

Waior
June 7th 2009

152 songs?! Ouch, my life. Great review.

ThyCrossAwaits
June 7th 2009

FINALLY a comment. ya, still have only listened to like 79% of this.

Relinquished
June 7th 2009

Only Nasum would release something like this. Good review, man.

Metalstyles
June 7th 2009

good review, but dear lord 152 songs is a lot. OH and mybe just to look a bit more professional, replace some of the "Fucks" in the last paragraph with something else

lauriej
June 7th 2009

well metalstyles, it's grind, i think the swearing fits nicely.

good review, always wanted some good grind but i've never known where to start.

Metalstyles
June 7th 2009

yaah doesn't really matter, i pos'd anyway

Zip
June 7th 2009

152 tracks... buying this.

shortone323
June 7th 2009

Wow, thats a lot of tracks. Thats about 15 normal length albums and about 5 Lil Wayne albums. I probably won't check this out, but good review anyway.

Wizard

19296 Comments

A truly enjoyable part of Grind Finale is hearing the band progress sonically.

Oh my God, fuck yes. Bang on dude!

Latter half is better than the first half. Nice short and sweet 5/5 review.

And please people, don't be faggots about a 152 song album. This is grind, what else do you expect?

Digging: Downer - Downer

Phantom
June 7th 2009

tHiS AlBuM rOx My SoX! MeTaL fOrEvA!!1!!

Zip
June 8th 2009

This is so metal!

June 28th 2009

Checking this out soon, i'm looking forward to it. That is a lot of grind to digest.

Raz0rGrind23
October 1st 2009

I personally enjoy their older material on this more. Great album nonetheless....

October 1st 2009

Yeah, there's way too many tracks and hardly anything stands out.

It's far from classic material in my eyes but I enjoyed it.

Waior
October 1st 2009

What is the running time?

Length 02:06:20

lildrummerninja
December 6th 2009

dude.. PARENTAL ADVISORY:FUCKING METAL.. just the other day I found my CDS (as few as they are suprisingly), and found the disks you burnt of the grind finale for meh. I also found out that Nasum means noise (or somethin like that). extremely fitting for nasum imo.

robin

lol i need this

FadeToBlack
December 6th 2009

same, i have shift, which slays

JasonCarne
January 12th 2013

Shame you didn't do a track by track review on this one.