Pink Floyd
Wish You Were Here

by Skishua71 USER (4 Reviews)
June 6th, 2009 | 19 replies

Release Date: 1975 | Tracklist

4.5/5

Pink Floyd is the greatest rock musical act ever. Such an audacious statement is bound to cause controversy and draw criticism from all but the most devoted of fans. Yet, if you look at what Pink Floyd managed to complete in its time as a band you may come to agree with the above statement. 1973's Dark Side of the Moon revolutionized music at the time of its release, went 15X platinum in the United States alone, and is considered by many listeners and critics to be one of the best rock albums created; 1979's The Wall went 23X platinum, is one of the most popular concept albums in existence, and spawned some of the most recognizable classic rock songs in the forms of Comfortably Numb, Hey You, and Another Brick in the Wall Pt. 2. Now many people's knowledge of Pink Floyd ends there. They sing along with the radio hits and may wear the Dark Side of the Moon t-shirt, but do not know anything beyond that. This is a shame as the follow up to Dark Side of the Moon is an exceptional album in its own right that deserves a spot next to Dark Side of the Moon, and The Wall.

Syd Barrett had an immense amount of influence on the music of Pink Floyd. From being an original contributing member of the band, to having music dedicated to his memory by loyal band mates, he shaped much of Floyd's early music and particularly the themes of this album. Wish You Were Here's name is a tell tale giveaway about its focus. The band misses Barrett, and they want the world to know it. Roger Waters does a fantastic job writing the lyrics and the band does an equally brilliant job of putting his thoughts to music. From the slow building climaxes of the two parts of Shine On You Crazy Diamond to the acoustic piece and album's namesake Wish You Were Here, Pink Floyd creates some very beautiful, atmospheric rock.

Beautiful and atmospheric are in fact two very good words to describe the music. While certainly not happy in any way, the buildups and crescendos as well as the aforementioned songwriting make the music very enjoyable. While not technically astounding or vocally superb, Wish You Were Here as a single piece of work just may be overall-brilliant. The flow from one track to the next works very well and for the first time through you may not even realize some tracks have ended and the next begun. Similar to Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here is presented as singular work rather than a series of songs strung together.

As for the songs themselves, the two parts of Shine On You Crazy Diamond are the clear standouts. The amounts of rising and falling musical swells paired with a glorious chorus and thick atmosphere make SoYcD a rich and rewarding musical experience that should not be ignored. Wish You Were Here and Have a Cigar are the two well known radio hits. Both are more digestible lengthwise than SoYcD although they may lack the majesty of the aforementioned. Have a Cigar and Welcome to the Machine change the focus of the album momentarily to critiquing the musical industry and press. While there is nothing wrong with lyrical diversity, there is a part of me that wishes the band had dedicated the album entirely to Barrett instead of giving Waters a few tracks to rant on. Welcome to the Machine is unfortunately a slight letdown compared to the rest of the album as its synths are a bit overdone and its seven and half minute length is ultimately forgettable. Now while as an individual song it may be sub-par, fitted with the rest of the jigsaw that is Wish You Were Here it remains an essential if less enjoyable piece of the puzzle.

Wish You Were Here is a difficult listen to many people who like their straightforward rock music. It's five tracks surprise many unsuspecting soon to be fans, and the twenty-five minute two part Shine On You Crazy Diamond may deter those who like their music concise. However I would strongly urge you to give Wish You Were Here a listen. Forget what you know about two and a half minute songs on twelve track albums, and forget what you know about simplistic rock lyrics dealing with drugs, sex, and rock and roll; because in the end you will be richly rewarded. I strongly recommend this album to any fan of the rock genre.

4.6

June 6th 2009

Yes, i realize it wasn't needed so if you were about to comment and say that please don't. I'm trying to improve my writing and bought this album at your recommendation sputnik. Also i tried not to do a track by track as most if not all of the other reviews for this were tbts.

Any constructive critiques are welcome.

marksellsuswallets
June 6th 2009

Two Wish You Were here reviews in one day?

June 6th 2009

Wow, that was a fast comment.

Yeah i guess so, i didn't even notice that. :P

marksellsuswallets
June 6th 2009

Yeah, I'm on the ball with these things. I did read the review though and it's pretty good for a fourth effort. Even though that opening sentence does sort of work here, I'd try to avoid making statements like that in the future as they're usually met with copious amounts of whining. Other than that there's not to much wrong here other than a few hiccups in the way the review flows. Good job.

I've never listened to this album in it's entirety and I've been meaning to for years now.

The Computer
June 6th 2009

Nice review... favorite album ever and Welcome to the Machine is not the let down of the album, that is Have a Cigar.

I actually enjoy Have a Cigar, :p
different strokes for different folks or so they say.

The Computer
June 6th 2009

I do too, it grew the heck on me and grew the heck off me and grew the heck on me etc. anyways, awesome album...

ninjuice
June 7th 2009

The review isn't really unnecessary since you're the first person to give it less than a 5. Or a 2.
It's pretty good too, except I think if a rating goes in a review at all, it should be near the bottom. Having it at the beginning seems pretty redundant.

Fugue
June 7th 2009

I think you overstate how good The Wall is, I mean commercially yes it was huge but as an album it has a lot of filler. Still it is a good review, especially for a fourth.

June 7th 2009

I really actually love the wall. there may be a lot of short filler towards the end of disc one but they are generally short song

pdbn
June 17th 2009

This album is one of the greatest THINGS ever made including boobs. Sweet review.

June 30th 2009

Thanks for the vote pdbn!
and thanks for the feedback both on the album and the review.

Willie
June 30th 2009

Nice review. "Welcome to the Machine" is easily my favorite Floyd song.

Digging: Necropoli - I

June 30th 2009

Favorite album of all time. Easily.

Digging: Pharmakon - Abandon

robertsona
June 30th 2009

pink floyd rules but this is pretty much very overrated

Mendigo

best album ever recorded

review is nice, but there's a serious lack of the following words: Gilmour, David, Guitar Solo, Epic, Crazy Laughter.

also if you wanna see it as a concept album you can see it that way, like Have a Cigar and Welcome to the Machine being songs about how Syd was destroyed among other things by his fame (and how the band was just starting to be destroyed the same way right when recording it). and there's a lot of interesting things you can read into the little passages between the songs.

June 30th 2009

Nothing overrated about it tool.

robertsona
June 30th 2009

i like the first and last songs as epics or whatever; they're cool. wish you were here is a pretty great song. but welcome to the machine does nothing for me, and have a cigar is only good. i mean it's good but not nearly so as animals, dsotm, or the wall (altho the wall has lots of filler, whatever)

ConorMichaelJoseph
June 30th 2009

The word overrated is used far too much by peoples trying justify not liking something. In fact the word overrated is itself overrated and I don't just say because I don't like it but that's because when it comes to opinion nothing is overrated...(you know it makes sense)
Anywho, album is a definite classic, no doubt about it.