Moodie Black
The Responsive Chord

good

by Sobhi Youssef EMERITUS
June 4th, 2009 | 14 replies | 7,760 views

Review Summary: More free music - Promising industrial glitch-hop at that.

Stream or download for free at www.theresponsivechord.com

Someone's pretty high on K.; whether it's confidence or just an exuberant publicist at work, The Responsive Chord has a strong billing to live up to. Self-proclaimed "post-rap", the initial (and natural) reaction any hip-hop critic would have is caution; one Dalek is enough - are imitators really necessary? One quickly discovers that K. brings something unique to the game: static, noise, drum n' bass, and a touch of industrial influence. In fact, The Responsive Chord is less hip-hop and more something completely different. But where K. is an innovator, it becomes evident: these experiments are incomplete, or even slightly flawed. Most notably, "I Is" and "Notorious" almost insist on abrupt (and questionable) genre shifts - of course this lends to issues with album continuity, but almost adheres to a strict blueprint for progressive noise-rap and rapcore, respectively. Regardless, K. impresses with effectively implemented existential lyricism and a convincing hardcore delivery (see fellow Arizona rapper Gutta's Heads Will Roll for an example of what not to do). The vocal and production aspects come together on "Band Aid" and "Riderback" - encouraging instances where K. finds stylistic cohesion while limiting static and noise levels from the excessive earlier tracks. Chorus-heavy synths amidst a noisy, glitch-laden trip-hop atmosphere, the former offers subject matter directly contrasting a poppy feel, while the latter takes a more desolate approach to dynamics and drum n bass.

The Responsive Chord is proof that people are still out there making new hip-hop; it only needs a more defined direction, proper channeling, and fine tuning. And seriously, are the wrestling samples absolutely necessary?

Nacho Picasso and Avatar Darko VampsterdamGorguts Colored Sands
Run The Jewels Run The JewelsThe-Dream IV Play
James Blake OvergrownTyler The Creator Wolf

Sana Sana
recommended by reviewer
Dalek Abandoned Language

MassiveAttack
June 4th 2009

Hey buddy haven't seen ya in awhile. Baby coming soon or something?

June 4th 2009

Not until the end of Sept... I've just been busy with moving into a new house, painting said house, and unpacking. I'm on a 1-week vacation in Toronto right now, so hopefully will get a few more reviews up while I'm here.

Digging: Nmesh - Dream Sequins®

MassiveAttack
June 4th 2009

Good to hear, good luck at the new house. Seems like you're doing lots of work on it.

foreverendeared
June 4th 2009

short and sweet reviews are my favorite kind

scyther
June 4th 2009

I bet you could summarize an album in a single sentence.

June 4th 2009

probably written too quickly on the plane. i'll flesh out the last sentence in the middle para by adding a more thorough description of the stuff I liked. thx dave ilu from canada.

June 5th 2009

modificated

scyther
June 5th 2009

This album is pretty bad imo.

bitchy3000
June 7th 2009

This album requires multiple listening sessions. The second round really sucks you in! Smoke a lil weed, turn the lights off, and close your eyes.

AlexTM510
June 7th 2009

Smoke a lil weed, turn the lights off, and close your eyes.

haha

post rap looks cool on paper but it sounds even cooler. Thank you for this.

Oh ya, nice sweet short review.

Digging: Daniel Blomquist - measureless oceans of space

Meatplow

anticon?

June 8th 2009

would fit in nicely with anticon, but alas no

PatchworkNeurology
June 8th 2009

I understand raw recordings for that feeling, but I wish this was just a little more cleaner.

Internesting, but will it keep me interested?

Rating may change with listens.

Good review.