Busta Rhymes

2.0
poor

by Sobhi Youssef EMERITUS
June 4th, 2009 | 9 replies

Review Summary: Sittin in casinos like I'm gamblin with Arafat.

Following up a mediocre record in 2006's The Big Bang shouldn't be difficult. "Arab Money" hit the airwaves in October of 2008, introduced an awful dance involving pointing to an invisible spatial object, yet also established a modicum of expectation for a truly solid club oriented record. Granted, these expectations were still low - you'd be surprised at how easily a harmonic minor melody, a Surah verse, and satire on middle eastern excess can influence certain Arab reviewers. But no matter, Back on My B.S. disappoints regardless, making it a point of no contest that the Busta Rhymes of old is gone forever.

If it was a mystery to anyone the "secret" to mainstream success is a catchy hook and a dope, danceable beat (see 2008's LAX and Paper Trail for impressive execution of this strategy). The thing is, most of the production here is so dated, any time traveler could mistake it for a 20th century record; every track could have easily been constructed on a battery-powered Casio keyboard. "Shoot For the Moon" suggests a larger than life Busta, complete with a volume-static, reverb-excessive, repetitive synth chord, frustratingly off-key hook, tinny boom-claps, and pedestrian rhymes about being awesome. The truly bothersome aspect, though, is the ridiculous gangsta posturing throughout - especially unbelievable after a cameo on a Gym Class Heroes record, a conscious background, and a rapid approach towards 40.

Regardless of his typical ferocious delivery, Busta's rhymes have become lazy - coupled with sparse content, this is only a recipe for failure. Nearly the worst track on a record where the best is merely mediocre, dancehall-influenced "Kill Dem" embodies all of the above with a pure lack of creativity. The only saving grace for Back on My B.S. is less than a handful of coherent productions, seemingly torn from the instrumental version of any 2008 single. Jadakiss, Weezy, T-Pain, and a slew of other guests perform admirably (as the latter two have with nearly every mainstream hip-hop record in the past year). If only the title stood for "Back on My Bachelors of Science," Busta's career would have a more hopeful outlook - but as it stands, he should stick to singles.

Nacho Picasso and Avatar Darko VampsterdamGorguts Colored Sands
Run the Jewels Run the JewelsThe-Dream IV Play
James Blake OvergrownTyler the Creator Wolf
2.4

foreverendeared
June 4th 2009

I'm pretty sure the only Busta i like is the couple verses he had on that one A Tribe Called Quest song haha anyway great review i had fun reading it

gaslightanthem
June 4th 2009

i wish this guy would stop feeling the need to contribute verses on every other hip hop album ever because he is a massive tool

bastard
June 4th 2009

i liked his early albums, but Busta Rhymes sucks now. The Big Bang was at least enjoyable cuz of Dre

Phantom
June 4th 2009

Yeah I definitely like The Coming, Extinction Level Event, Anarchy and When Disaster strikes, but he slowly got worse with each later album and this sounds like it's continuing the trend.

Mikesn
June 6th 2009

arab money is god awful

kingsoby1
June 6th 2009

racist

jefflebowski
October 5th 2011

busta was way cooler when he had dreads and didn't try to be a thug

Digging: Shellac - Dude Incredible

Counterfeit
December 24th 2011

sickk

DotEight
February 27th 2013

Lol album sucks but "I'm A Go And Get My.." is fucking hilarious.