Emery
...In Shallow Seas We Sail

by Alex Trinkner CONTRIBUTOR (71 Reviews)
June 2nd, 2009 | 25 replies | 5,792 views

Review Summary: A great "Return to form" for emery

When Emery, personally one of my favorite bands, released 2007’s I’m Only A Man I was a little disappointed. The songs that I knew and loved were gone. The distortion disappeared along with the lyrics and catchy screams. The only thing that I think stayed well done was the drumming. But that’s enough of that CD. Enter …In Shallow Seas We Sail, the CD that should have been the successor to The Question back in the day. Along with bringing back producer Aaron Sprinkle they also brought back the screaming and catchy guitar work. Not only that but the lyrics even picked up a little bit. (Most of them are about break-ups or stuff like that but it could be worse.) I’m going to be doing a track by track on account of this is my first review.

Cutthroat Collapse: 4.5/5
The first single off of here and appropriately so. This song has every thing that Emery fans love, heavy screams to start off and super light melodic verses to go along with wailing guitar and duel singing between Devin Shelton and Toby Morrell. This really was another staple that feel out in IOAM but is back.

Curbside Goodbye: 4/5
Another one of Emery’s signature heavy, light, heavy, etc. songs. This really is nice though with programmed flutes and strings in the verses. Has one of Emery’s best buildups for the bridge.

Inside Our Skin: 3.5/5
A nice poppy feel to start of the song. But about 30 seconds in it gets a little heavier but not to heavy. This track has nice guitar work from Matt Carter, which is nice to see that he is using two guitars unlike IOAM.

Churches and Serial Killers: 5/5
A sort of different intro with strings going along with the rest of the band. It transitions into a very catchy chorus. This is something that emery does very nice and one of the highlights of the entire album

Butchers Mouth: 5/5
My personal favorite on this album. A very catchy verse and chorus that manages to utilize Josh Head’s keys without becoming overly obnoxious. (see Always Depends) The bridge is also another highlight of the album with very emotional screaming.

In Shallow Seas We Sail: 4/5
Starts off with a nice acoustic feel that is present trough out the track. Very nice dueling vocals again in this song, pretty much like just about every other song on this CD. At the end of the song though there is guest vocals by their producer Aaron Sprinkle.

The Poor and Prevalent: 4/5
Not that good of an intro but after you get past that the rest of the song is pretty good. With pretty good guitar work again. (I'm saying that comparing it to his previous work)
The song is pretty much following that verse-chorus-verse but it’s just good to hear good music by emery again.
The Smile, The Face: 3.5/5
A song that was featured on their EP last October. It starts off with Toby singing and Josh very distinctive yells. They didn’t change it up from the EP so it’s not really all that interesting to listen to again.

A Sin To Hold On To: 4.5/5
Some laughable lyrics to start off the song with mild palm-mutes that lead to another guitar driven riff that unfolds in to verses that a very very catchy. Overall this is probably a highlight of the album

Piggy Bank Lies: 4.5/5
A song that starts off in the vain of Walls but that’s okay because they can pull it off. This is one of those few songs where you can actually hear the bass. Not only in the chorus but also in the verses. The chorus has a catchy bass fill that is nice to listen to. Also a very Question-like Bridge.

Edge of the World: 3.5/5
Another song off the EP. They didn’t do anything to it either and it’s sort of repetitive with just clicks for guitar for the verse but they make up for that with a pretty good breakdown to end the song

Dear Death Pt.1: 3/5
An acoustic song that they talk about dying just like every other Screamo band but this one is more accessible because of the keys. Also the song ends in Spanish, which is kinda weird

Dear Death Pt.2: 4/5
A “danceable” song with very catchy everything. Sort of cliché and follows the verse-chorus-verse format. They duel singing is nice though. The lyrics are not that great but it’s not like it’s terrible.

Overall:
This CD is a very nice return for Emery. Most noticeably is the fact that they, dare I say it, went back to their roots and started to use the screaming and wailing distorted guitars which is a plus

Band Members

Trophy Scars Holy VacantsSeahaven Reverie Lagoon: Music For Escapism Only
Sleep Weather Two Wheels SpinningWe Are Scientists TV en Français
William Fitzsimmons LionsPrawn / Joie de Vivre Split

June 2nd 2009

i think this isn't a bad first review. even if no one looks at it

Athom
June 2nd 2009

You're probably gonna catch some flack for it being a track by track, but its an ok start. For your next try flushing it out a bit. Like instead of " With pretty good guitar work again" go into a bit more detail and explain what makes it good. Also try to capture the overall vibe of the album, it helps heaps.

Cutthroat Collapse is mighty epic.

xNintendoCorex
June 2nd 2009

what do you mean by the distortion disappeared?

theyve always mixed clean sounds highly in their sound, with 'the question' the guitars were noticeably more overdriven than distorted but with 'im only a man' it was really a pretty similar guitar tone to 'the question', the main difference being there was only 1 guitar thus it was buried in the mix in comparison.

IAmInsect
June 2nd 2009

the guitar tone and overall sound of i'm only a man is one of the reasons it sucks. it almost has a country vibe to me.

okay review, more detail, less narration. album rules.

ninjuice
June 2nd 2009

I just listened to Cutthroat Collapse.
I want more.

Redsky covered all the advice I would give.

marksellsuswallets
June 3rd 2009

Cutthroat Collapse pretty much owns...still haven't had time for the whole album yet.

June 3rd 2009

Yeah so i also just listened to Cutthroat Collapse, pretty swell.

Lucid

cool album

Digging: Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty

June 3rd 2009

thanks for the advice redsky. i will try and get more indepth about guitar work and muscianship on my next reviews

MusicinaBox
June 4th 2009

you recommended churches and serial killers over cutthroat collapse.
hell no.

fromtheinside
July 14th 2009

i think Churches and Serial Killers is the true gem of this album, insanely catchy...

Digging: Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails

DaveyBoy

20855 Comments

I think that's the great thing about this album; It has something for everyone & it's tough to name a bad song. I'm on the 'Churches & Serial Killers' side by the way.

Make that me aswell, though i love Cutthroat Collapse also

Phantom
July 14th 2009

I've only heard Cutthroat Collapse but it's good. Plan on checking the rest of the album out soon.

July 14th 2009

the last song isn't that good. it's proabbly the weakest on the cd

I find the last two tracks great, Piggy Bank Lies is my weak link

July 14th 2009

everyone says that but i think actually the oppisite. i love piggy bank lies

fromtheinside
July 14th 2009

piggy bank lies feels pretentious of itself.
albeit, it is a guilty pleasure of mine to say the least.

DaveyBoy

20855 Comments

If I was forced to pick a worst song, I'd cheat & say 'Dear Death Part 1" as it is short & pretty much a set-up for Part 2 (which is good).

July 14th 2009

how long have you known about this cd?