Review Summary: An atrocious metal album. Absolutely terrible, with awful vocals, sloppy drumming, and boring guitar riffs. The basically non-existent bass doesn't help either.5 of 9 thought this review was well writtenWaking the Cadaver
is one of the worst metal bands around. With their god-awful vocals, sloppy instrumentation, and overall bad-sounding songs, this band shouldn't have released an album, at least in this abysmal state.
But why is this band so awful? you ask. What makes them worse than the hundreds of other death metal bands out there? Well, first of all are the horrible vocals by Don Campan. 90% of the time he sounds like he's dying, and the other 10% have him screaming in a traditional death metal voice. His voice is absolutely disgusting though, and you would be surprised to find that there are actual lyrics. The lyrics are atrocious though. These lyrics are some of the worst and most violent I've ever had the displeasure of reading. I don't even want to put them in this review, but all of them involve grisly murder in some way, and 90% of them are about the degradation of women. Just looking at these abhorrent lyrics makes me want to give this a terrible album a 1 because of the sheer filth that this guy wrote.
But it doesn't stop there. What about the other members, you ask? The drummer, Dennis Morgan, is extremely sloppy, frequently going off-time and messing up on his beats, which primarily consist of blasting, slow breakdown beats, and two-handed gravity blasts. Yes, two-handed. The guitarists, Jimmy Regan and Nick Palmateer, play boring, repetitive chugging riffs throughout almost the entire album. There are no solos anywhere, and while they occasionally get in a good riff (see the beginning of "Raped, Pillaged, and Gutted"), it usually only lasts a couple of seconds. Apparently there was a bassist named Steve Vermilyea on the album, but he might as well have not been there, considering that you can never hear him anyway (besides about two seconds on "Type A Secretor").
The songs themselves, if you can get past the terrible titles, are extremely repetitive, fueled by the same blast beating, breakdowns, terrible vocals, and low-tuned guitar riffs. I would have said something about the bass too, but since it's practically non-existent, I can't. The only spots of difference on this album are the Intro and Interlude tracks (titled "Intro" and "Interlude", respectively), which are both ambient songs, and the voice samples that open and close the last track "I Know the Insides of Women". Unfortunately, these changes are few and far between, as the other songs on the album are all the same terrible death metal, with bad vocals and bad lyrics. If you're looking for an atrocious, awful, saturnalien (how many more synonym's for "bad" are there?) album, then buy this piece of garbage. Don't say I didn't warn you.