Grizzly Bear
Veckatimest

by Ryan Flatley EMERITUS
May 26th, 2009 | 379 replies | 39,438 views

Review Summary: Veckatimest works like a cash-back bonus, the more you give in to it, the grander the return.

Three years ago, Brooklyn-based Grizzly Bear opened a window to their harmony-laced folk prowess with their sophomore release. Yellow House combined a heart-warming, cozy album with an eerie undertone to form an immaculate record. Since then, there have been only a few hints as to the composition of Veckatimest, other than the Friend EP and their shining track on the Dark Was The Night compilation. Let's just say that any expectations have been met.

Grizzly Bear cater to more than just the indie rock faithful; their sound is meant for admirers of music -- those who appreciate the ability to transform folk music into an elegantly bounded book. Take “Southern Point,” which opens Veckatimest with the brilliance of Yellow House’s “On A Neck, On A Spit,” albeit a step craftier, bolder, and mesmerizing. Chugging like a steam engine, “Southern Point” whisks listeners with intricate guitar work and some of their heaviest segments to date. Grizzly Bear have always been noted for their lush harmonies and polarizing musical sections, and the folk-pop ballad “Two Weeks” delivers a perfect compliment to their style. Piano chords drive “Two Weeks” as the track effortlessly floats behind blissful hymns. Two tracks in and it’s clear that Veckatimest is extraordinary.

While the album may occasionally appear to drag, it was never meant to be uptempo; rather, Grizzly Bear intended to maintain a steady, balanced pace. “Fine For Now” slowly builds with alternating breaks among harmonies and instruments until the finale encapulsates everything into a big bang. This moment is where Grizzly Bear seize their niche of being simple and complex in the same breath. Take any track from “Ready, Able” to “I Live With You” and you will be able to identify one specific, unique characteristic that makes Veckatimest the noble gem that it is. ‘While you wait for the others/ to make it all worthwhile/ all your useless pretentions/ are weighing on my time’ begins “While You Wait For The Others,” in a rather inspiring cynical anthem of just not giving a fuck anymore. The lyrics mirror the genius of “While You Wait For The Others” by not creating an overwrought message or theme that would otherwise hinder the message. Finally, there is “Foreground,” a track most likely sent from the heavens that plays off Veckatimest as if it were a divine and soothing experience.

Veckatimest works like a cash-back bonus, the more you give in to it, the grander the return. This album envelops Grizzly Bear’s focus and their specific ideation. Realize that Veckatimest will not be a wild ride, but simply a remarkable listen that exceeds all expectations. More than just a personal hurdle, this album will surely rival the other top albums of 2009, which speaks volumes considering the other quality releases this year. Have patience with Veckatimest, for there is time, so much time.

Glassjaw Coloring BookNo Age Everything In Between
United Nations Nevermind the Bombings, Here's Your Six FiguresFar At Night We Live
Nas & Damian Marley Distant RelativesLCD Soundsystem This Is Happening
Jonathan Kroening (4.5)
Wildly coherent due to a clear polarity of sound and approach....

scyther (2.5)
Dory as in Finding Nemo?...

Daniel Smith (4.5)
A solid album that seems so effortless in its grooves and contours that it brushes the classic statu...

Athom
May 26th 2009

I have a feeling this will be coming in rather high in my year-end list.

Digging: DJ Sprinkles - Midtown 120 Blues

foreverendeared
May 26th 2009

gave this a first listen yesterday and was thoroughly impressed

Doppelganger
May 26th 2009

can't wait to hear this, completely forgot this was coming out

joshuatree

album's so good, might even pass mpp as my #1

humph42
May 26th 2009

Got this after the strength of their song on 'Later' with Jools Holland. I've heard people say this album is a "challenging" listen. I've not found this at all and found it enjoyable and immersing right from the start.

AliW1993
May 26th 2009

good review but i dont really like the songs ive heard by them tbh

Electric City
May 26th 2009

I do like this record, though I have to say it does drag occasionally. Two Weeks is immaculate though, and Cheerleader is awesome. I dig this.

Digging: Ricky Eat Acid - Three Love Songs

SeaAnemone

20283 Comments

I felt this was satisfying on the first listen also... "All We Ask" is amazing.

Digging: Natural Snow Buildings - The Night Country

Skyler
May 26th 2009

haha, wow. this leaked so long ago i had forgotten it hadn't actually come out yet.

tarethere
May 26th 2009

Didn't fully appreciate yellow house until recently, so i might be listening to this on and off up till '09 year end lists

CompanionCube
May 26th 2009

should i try yellow house first? or this? or perhaps horn of plenty

AggravatedYeti
May 26th 2009

^ Yellow House -- it's a perfect balance of 'Horn Of Plenty's meandering yet beautiful post-pop and 'Veckatimest's lighter, chamber pop undertones.
By the way, this review is ace Mr. Flats and the album fucking rules.

AggravatedYeti
May 26th 2009

your conclusion is boss too...

StreetlightRock

So. Amazingly. Good.

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

gaslightanthem

this is amazing

Burning_October
May 26th 2009

This is certainly my favourite album this year so far, and if it keeps growing on me it may even make my top 10 of the decade.

thebhoy
May 26th 2009

acquiring now. I can't wait to listen to this, I've heard nothing but rave reviews so yay.

NortherlyNanook

album's golden

sgrevs
May 26th 2009

Great review, album is so good. Will definitely be up there come end of year.

pixiesfanyo
May 27th 2009

don't really know how you can not like this...