Obscura
Cosmogenesis

by CrippleGod USER (2 Reviews)
May 18th, 2009 | 14 replies | 2,239 views

Review Summary: It is the sectional contrasts and the brilliant mixture of ferocity and melody that elevates Obscura above other tech-death outfits.

Technical death metal has always been pretty divisive with me with most of it eventually falling by the wayside over time. The reason is simple. While conveying the most depraved acts and thoughts through devastatingly brutal music has its charm, presenting that imagery amidst a technical, auditory assault at 900 mph causes it to lose most of its impact on me. This leaves me with only the occasional tech-death craving. On its sophomore effort, Cosmogenesis, Obscura has created the perfect mix of Cynic, Death, and Necrophagist that scratches my technical death metal itch, however infrequent it may be, perfectly.

Hitting with all the subtlety of a sharp blow to the groin, "The Anticosmic Overload" and "Choir of Spirits" are beasts of technical wizardry with complex, melodic riffing, dizzying bass flourishes, and some groovy passages interwoven throughout.

Though, it really isn't until "Universe Momentum" makes its entrance that things truly start to fall into place for the band. Obscura has the uncanny ability to seamlessly combine blast beats, frenzied fretwork, and sections of gorgeously melodic soloing with acoustic sections and spacey instrumental passages all structured around various time signatures and tempo changes. This is largely attributable to the way guitarist Christian Muenzner, formerly of Necrophagist, perfectly moves from Death-styled riffing to more melodic Necrophagist-styled soloing. "Incarnated" is the best example of this and contains a wonderful section of guitar solos perched atop fretless bass slides and creates a truly unique moment.

The instrumental "Orbital Elements" continues the excellence with its acoustic beginning slowly melting away and revving up into outbursts of technical melodies by the bass and guitars. This brings me to the jazzy, fretless bass work of Jereon Paul Thesseling, formerly of Pestilence (Spheres era), which is really top-notch and audibly accessible throughout. His presence adds another dimension to the band's sound and one more tool used to perfection.

The track "Noospheres" screams Cynic from the onset, complete with use of a voccoder, and is a more "reigned in" effort in terms of brutality, though the melodic lead work still persists. "Centric Flow" contains more up-tempo, blast beat filled viciousness with some mid-tempo grooviness and, of course, the requisite technicality before brewing up and closing out the album in true epic fashion. It is the sectional contrasts and the brilliant mixture of ferocity and melody that elevates Obscura above other tech-death outfits.

Overall, Cosmogenesis is not the most brutal technical death metal album to be released, but it is this "softer" approach, if it can even be called that, that will probably make me reach for this more often than other albums of the subgenre. Also, like most technical death metal albums, Cosmogenesis contains a great deal of music to digest. A complete appreciation of everything presented on the album may take several listens to obtain, but such an effort will be met with great rewards. Fans of technical death metal or those willing to give the subgenre another shot will not be disappointed.

Frederick Metzengerstein (4.5)
2009's greatest M3TAL record bar none. German bred tech death stalwarts Obscura conjure the spirits ...

Retribution

Omnivium

May 18th 2009

Great album, of course quite the controversial album of 2009. Good review.

May 18th 2009

I dont get why it's controversial. People get so butthurt by these guys. So what if they blatantly rip off other bands; they do it well and energetically. It's a shallow record but it's great for a quick, fun listen.

Willie
May 18th 2009

This band has some awesome bass playing and that's what keeps me coming back.

Digging: Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse - 20th Year Anniversary

May 18th 2009

The fretless is so over the top that it works.

jrowa001
May 18th 2009

yeah the bass is really the only thing i enjoyed from this album. who knows it might grow on me later

poweroftheweez
May 18th 2009

good album and good review.

May 18th 2009

jrowa I wouldn't expect it to grow on you to be honest it grew off of me pretty quickly.

Wizard

19231 Comments

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Solid review!

Digging: Monarch - Sabbracadaver

Thor
May 18th 2009

This album is great and idk why it's been getting as much hate as it has.

Relinquished
May 18th 2009

Album is amazing. Great review very well described.

jrowa001
May 18th 2009

i honestly dont expect this to grow on me but ive had albums that i initially thought were awful that later grew on me. if it werent for the bass playing i probably wouldve deleted this by now

Hawks
May 18th 2009

Love this album. Good review.

Digging: Equilibrium - Erdentempel

jingledeath
May 19th 2009

Universe Momentum is damn good

DeathByAstonishment
July 12th 2012

Only on Universe Momentum. Shittin' bricks over here. I've been waiting for something like this.