Ligeia
Bad News

by Slimjim367 USER (19 Reviews)
May 14th, 2009 | 19 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The Follow-up to 2006's 'Your Ghost Is A Gift' is a much more polished and effective record at demonstrating Ligeia's capability and relevance.

I heard of Ligeia by accident when browsing Ferret Music's online store some time ago. Intrigued with the name, I checked them out, they were not bad, but at the time I wasn't interested in getting into a new band so much. A year or two passed, I completely forgot about them, and then, surfing the net one day, I noticed that 'Bad News' the follow up to their debut 'Your Ghost Is A Gift', was about to released. So i eagerly rushed to their myspace, remebering a bit about them in the process.

I remebered their heavy metalcore sound mixing both clean singing and deep-ish screaming like many metalcore bands and I remebered rather boring songs, not bad songs, but nothing interesting per say.

When the album came out, I bought it (which isn't saying much, I buy 99% of my music), but only after listening to it several times through was I pleasantly surprised at how original the music was.

First of all, Bad News is a great follow up after 'Your Ghost Is A Gift', (I looked back and did my homework), however, Ligeia's sound differs quite a lot between albums. In 'Your Ghost...', Ligeia sounded like an average metalcore act, nothing special at all to differentiate them from the crowd. The guitar's were distorted heavily, and the screaming was pretty basic. Additionally, the singing parts sounded more adolescent and gave the listener the image of a less developped band. On 'Bad News', the vocals have changed considerably, the screaming is now a rage-ridden yell, which translates the bands emotion to word. The guitars have a very distorted feel to them, but don't really command as much attention. The bass is actually present and clear, for the most part, and the song structure has been rearanged.

The groups writing is superb, with heavy, dark riffs to back up Keiths vocals. A few songs include breakdowns (I was opposed to the idea), but they're actually quite well done (Teenage Wasteland). The drums are written for metalcore, nothing amazing there, same with the bass (not to say they aren't talented and capable musicians, just that no parts stand out). The song pattern is a bit different now, in that it isn't always intro->verse->chorus->verse etc.

Lyrics here mostly deal with intoxication and a woman, who in some songs the narrator seems to be struck with love for (Bombshell, I've Been Drinking), and in others seems to hate (Bad News, Hoodrat, Hot Mess).

A few songs are clean, there is an interlude (creatively titled interlude), which is pretty boring and pointless, and the acoustic City and Colour esque 'Heroin Diaries', which doesn't quite fit the album, but they were reaching out I suppose.

After listening to it several times, I keep coming back to it. Why? For catchy choruses like 'Johnny Cash', and 'Hot Mess', and addictive songs like 'I've Been Drinking' and 'One Night Stand'. for the pure hangbanger parts of 'Teenage Wasteland' and the purely hilarious gang vocals on 'Hoodrat'

Some may not take interest because of the lack of originality, but if you can put the fact that Ligeia doens't reinvent the genre, they just play it, out of the way, you may enjoy it.

I highly recomend this Cd. It may not break new ground, but it re-ignited my love for all these things by simply doing them better than the average band, and if an album these days can achieve that, it's worth a second listen.

Meshuggah obZenPelican What We All Come To Need
Becoming The Archetype DichotomyNo Hawaii Bruce Lee In Your Brain EP
Seneca ReflectionsRosesdead Stages
good

withALMONDS
May 14th 2009

Great review, not too fond of the album anymore though. Got old really fast.

ninjuice
May 14th 2009

I want to find out who's in that picture now....looks like Britney Spears a bit.

Willie
May 14th 2009

The cover is nice but I'm sure this is just another generic metalcore band.

Digging: Skrew - Universal Immolation

May 14th 2009

As a person who enjoys generic metalcore more than he should and longer than he should, I will myspace this. Awesome cover, it reminds me of Deftones Around The Fur but not too much.

Digging: Mare Cognitum - Phobos Monolith

May 14th 2009

oh god, that album cover is genius lol
i like the southern roots in bad news

KYZAR
May 14th 2009

This looks good and i am not totally sick of metalcore at the moment. may give it a go.

Hey almonds you should check out Mindsnare- Disturb the Hive, it's really good.

Wizard

19519 Comments

Your Ghost Is A Gift was so bad, I won't bother with this one.

Digging: Godflesh - A World Lit Only By Fire

IRAI
May 15th 2009

i agree with the whole "not breaking new ground", and i was skeptical of this when it first came out (being a bit different from "your ghost"). but i tried to find what i liked about this, and it was most definitely the singing in the songs. very catchy.

shinfojoe
May 15th 2009

it was catchy...but it got old quick and the lyrics were awful

IRAI
May 16th 2009

i never said i didnt get tired of it.

haha.

iamthenightmare
May 16th 2009

well done review, however my hatred for their previous effort prevents me from spending the time to download this

May 17th 2009

so just bought the album... have to say, it's quite good; definately not a 4.5 but it's catchy as hell

Slimjim367
May 17th 2009

i dunno
i loved it

November 4th 2010

fuckin rockin this right now.

crowing51
January 13th 2011

The lead singers side project Face all Fears is better than this if you ask me.

Pharoh
November 7th 2011

they released some new songs today

boristhebladexx
November 11th 2011

the lyrics on this CD are god awful. "your ghost" is such a good CD, and their EP isn't bad at all. but this...... ugh.

patman1001
January 8th 2012

lol Hoodrat is awesome

IleftyspankedU
August 6th 2012

"how many drinks does it take to make you wet? ........ i just wanna get next to you girl, i just wanna make a mess of your world"

how can you not see that as lyrical genius???