God Forbid
Earthsblood

by Slimjim367 USER (19 Reviews)
May 13th, 2009 | 23 replies | 8,533 views

Review Summary: A great album whose flaws, though present, don't deter the listener from a good experience.

Earthsblood is title most of us knew in the weeks following it's release seeing as it was highly advertised and anticipated by some. And after the initial critical acclaim dishing out mostly praise, it disappeared from the spotlight. The album, while good, seemed to not have toppled 'Constitution of Treason', which helped the band garner most of the attention this release warranted. Almost immediately following Earthsblood's release, guitarist Dallas Coyle left the band with little explanation, being replaced by ex Darkest hour guitarist Kris Norris for the time being. So why exactly did the band take 5 years to write this CD? Well the effort really shines here, though it feels sometimes forced.

The Cd starts with an instrumental, beginning with piano, and followed by guitars and an entire orchestra, though 'The Discovery' is a well written introduction, it doesn't quite match the atmosphere of the album, nor the intro of the next song: 'The Rain'. Apparently Dallas and his brother had written it for use in another side project, but used it here instead (with less emphasis on the guitars). Though the song is well-done, I have to question the choice of the 'Instrumental opening' which most albums begin with these days. Was the band really trying to create a tone for the record? Were they actually writing from the heart? Or just noticing the formula and applying it here.

After the initial over-analysis and disappointment of the introduction, The listener is thrust in to 'the Rain', an excellent song, which showcases the groups ability to integrate melodic vocals into a song without completely ruining it, the vocals in this song are honestly spectacular, from Bryon Davis' opening scream through Dallas and Doc Coyle singing the chorus, you'll be amazed. The song includes not one, but 2 solos, they're done very tastefully too, not forced in for more 'solo attraction'.

The album is quite well composed mostly, my few issues mostly included how blatantly it seems that the band wanted it to reach success, with the obvious single-worthy 'Walk Alone', which is an OK song, nothing amazing, but doesn't really contribute to the record, and the amount of solos. Almost every song has a solo, and 2 or 3 of them even include more than 1, though they're well executed, you can pick out the song pattern after your first listen.

Some of the songs are a complete try and fail at being 'epic'. An example is the title track, Earthsblood runs for a little over 9 minutes, and is utterly repetitive. It begins with a beautifully plucked out introduction, that is then interrupted by distorted chugging. The main problem with these instrumental intro's to me is the bands lack of capability at bridging them back into the song. Although other songs (Bat The Angels, Shallow) show how God Forbid have drawn from heavier influences then Earthsblood's predecessors.

The CD did live for some time before I grew sick of it, probably 3 months or so, and perhaps that's why my review may seem to be picking knots out of a great album, because of over listening. So in terms of replayability, it's totally worth your twenty bucks.

The production quality is stellar, except for the almost absent bass, it's sunk below the mix like so many of today's bands. The guitarists are even better than on 'constitution,' and they have several guest appearances to join their ranks on Earthsblood.

The cover art (though it may seem unimportant) is really good, you really get the feel of it through this album, and the CD book is well done also.

Earthsbloods high points are its vocals, which are simply the best part of each song and the solos, which, though you may grow tiresome of them, are really well engineered to fit each song, not just thrown in a la Slayer. The song writing has improved from Constitution of Treason considerably, but then again, I wasn't a huge fan of that one. To me, God Forbid always sounded like a very cliche metal band, extremely talented at what they do, but nothing new.

It may seem throughout this review that I'm contradicting myself, the truth is, I loved Earthsblood, but only after i got sick of it did I notice it's weaker points, and now that my love affair with it has ended, I feel almost rejection towards it. I struggled for quite some time with the wording and stances in this review and am still not 100% satisfied with it, but ah well. It's a great album in many ways, but it's flaws are present and noticeable.

Recommended Songs:

Meshuggah obZenPelican What We All Come To Need
Becoming The Archetype DichotomyNo Hawaii Bruce Lee In Your Brain EP
Seneca ReflectionsRosesdead Stages
MarkedFortune (3.5)
Earthsblood has alot of pros and only a few cons, but still a great album....

jitteryzeitgeist (2.5)
Hamfisted, flat, and predictable derpcore with none of the exciting touches, memorable riffs, or hoo...

May 13th 2009

Comments?
I have a feeling people are going to strongly disagree with this haha

Hawks
May 13th 2009

Pretty good review. I still need to check this album out. God Forbid pretty much rules.

Digging: Equilibrium - Erdentempel

Athom

this was pretty good.

19210 Comments

Album was better then their last.

Digging: Monarch - Sabbracadaver

ninjuice
May 13th 2009

Nah, Constitution had "End of the World" at least - this is a snoozefest the whole way through.
I was gonna review this but didn't feel like doing another average metalcore album.

Digging: Robin Skouteris - The King of ArtPOP

thanks
i wanted to review an album people actually new for more feedback
i dunno, i liked this one better than constitution

lobby
May 13th 2009

I don't disagree, on the contrary, I thought this was a really enjoyable album.

Burn2Burn
May 13th 2009

Empire of the Gun, War of Attrition, The New Clear, Bat the Angels and Gaia all pretty much slay. Fist-pumping good time to be had.

AliW1993
May 14th 2009

Good review, though it reads more like a 3 or a 3.5 than a 4. Album is pretty good

This Message Edited On 05.14.09

May 14th 2009

yeah i was actually about to cahnge the rating as I released it
thanks, I completely forgot haha

chrisggib
May 14th 2009

yeah i like the review, you're mostly right. i have to admit though, the title track is decent, but Gaia (the Vultures) is mostly a failed attempt. i think the problem with the album, and with the previous ones, is that not every song is memorable, "empire of the gun" and "bat the angels" are, but songs like the "new clear"?
the Metal Hammer review said, "those that are waiting for a breakthrough release are still waiting", anyone else disagree with this? i think constitution of treason was the breakthrough...

19210 Comments

They have never had a breakthrough album.

May 15th 2009

yeah i'm still waiting for it too

chrisggib
May 18th 2009

in terms of metalcore, where bands have one album that is their best, and then they either fuck up or get better (which is what God Fobid are doing), i think constitution of treason was that album

ZombieMetalhead
June 16th 2009

this album gets better the more you listen to it

June 16th 2009

19210 Comments

Hahahahah that's still not what a breakthrough album is dude. That's just their best album to date.

PitDetonator
September 26th 2009

I love this album but this was a great review. Well done

PitDetonator
September 26th 2009

Plus they sold 4000 copies of Constitution worldwide which I'm guessing Roadrunner would see as a droppable offence. I hope their next album will be the breakthrough though. Genuinely great band

Endzeit
September 27th 2009

^

You jus seem like some1 i dislike. Are you jewish?

Itwasthatwas
January 11th 2010

for some reason this band just really clicks with me, i love this album and their last 2