Beloved
Failure On

by Dante Alighieri USER (85 Reviews)
May 13th, 2009 | 40 replies

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

It is hard these days to make a dent in todays post hardcore scene. With shining stars such as Alexisonfire and A Static Lullaby, it seems difficult to fuse hardcore roots with alternative emo music. But in 2003, a small time band from Winston-Salem, North Carolina did the nigh impossible and made a record that not only fuses melody and hardcore, but did it damn well better than nearly every “clean-vocals-with-breakdowns” band out there.

Melody is an integral part of Beloved’s delivery in its music. With two individual guitarists and clean vocals Josh Moore’s backup as guitar, Beloved’s three guitars create an atmosphere of music that is actually pulled off in a professional sense and can clearly be heard throughout the entire CD. Both guitarists Matt Harrison and Dusty Redmond compliment each other greatly and use the basic riffs laid out by Moore to build up upon each other. This is seen in nearly every track and its hard to find any time where they might become slowed, difficult to hear, or boring. This is not saying that bassist Johnny Smrdel is not drowned out in production, he can clearly be heard laying down the beating heart and soul of Beloved’s sound and is indespensible during the breakdowns.

Which leads me to my next subject on Failure On; breakdowns. The very presence of breakdowns in a band can lead most people to immediately reject the band, calling them unoriginal and trend-following, but this is where Beloved soars. Fusing metalcore riffs with Musten acting as main vocalist, Beloved delivers their breakdowns in a manner that can make most people turn a blind eye to their dislike of breakdowns, this is not to say that everyone will like this. Their breakdowns are most resonant in their single Death To Traitors, which culminates with a small riff and Musten shouting “We were born for battle!”.

It is sad indeed that only a year after this release that with Musten’s recent marriage, Beloved decided to call it quits. The twin contrasts of Moore and Musten’s vocals, the triple melodic guitar assault, the driving bass from Smrdel and the incredible dual wielding of Musten’s drumwork and yells made Beloved a band that would have made a major dent in the post hardcore genre. Sad indeed that good things can almost never last.

Misery Signals Absent LightAll Pigs Must Die Nothing Violates This Nature
Loma Prieta I.V.Expire Pendulum Swings
Aldebaran Embracing the Lightless DepthsTragedy Darker Days Ahead
Ecnalzen (3.5)
A great album that suffers a bit from having tracks that sound a little too much like each other....

jesusjuice1179 (4.5)
The August Burns Red of post-hardcore...

thebhoy
May 13th 2009

What? First sentence also doesn't make too much sense. Add album art please.

May 13th 2009

Awesome cd. However, somebody fucked up everything about this record. Edit the track title, add track listing and date.

Digging: Reverend Bizarre - Return to the Rectory

ahhhh FML
FIXING!

May 13th 2009

Definitely not from 2008, been jamming to this for years. And shit, mind as well delete my rating for the other fucked up album for this and switch. On another note, pretty good review and a much needed one at that.

May 13th 2009

ya i wrote this in between classes so i didnt pay too much attention to the "finer" details lol... much love for this band though

sspedding
May 13th 2009

This is a brilliant piece of post hardcore.

FailureOnMyLips
May 13th 2009

this album changed my life. good review.

Golgoroth
May 14th 2009

Argh I was working on a review for this. Whatever. Good review.

such a classic album.
defect from decay is ridiculously amazing.

Golgoroth
May 14th 2009

Defect is actually one of my least favorite songs on the album because it's so repetitive :/ Watching the Lines Blur slays.

May 14th 2009

i just love the fact that its almost just one really long and progressive breakdown.

haha just read your other post, i'd been saying to myself that i'd review this too for agesThis Message Edited On 05.14.09

heard these guys on a solid state dvd, been in love ever since

heard these guys on a solid state dvd, been in love ever since

sspedding
May 14th 2009

Rise and Fall has got to be my favourite.

MacWeener
May 17th 2009

such a shame they don't make music anymore

May 17th 2009

god dang, 3 weeks to special order this cd... =[[
but so worth it though

June 5th 2009

Awwww who neg'd?

frozenocean99
August 14th 2009

classic album, screams were so effective and aggressive and the music delivered a message, totally awesome

August 15th 2009

ive probably said it before, but its great to hear 3 guitarist being utilised.
*im looking at you phantom planet*

btw guys, check this band out, ive seen them live twice and they impressed me enough, probably the only band ive seen that kinda comes close to beloved.

October 7th 2009

wow, they hella good! any way you could email me their ep?