Oceano
Depths

2.0
poor

by Kevin Jalmax USER (9 Reviews)
May 12th, 2009 | 72 replies

Review Summary: Depths, please return whence you came.

It's a sad sight to see when what started out as a pretty awesome idea digresses into a devolutionary pile of garbage. Take deathcore for example; I still hate to use the word, but what a combination. We obviously have to thank metalcore for this genre, but I definitely do hear a huge distinction between the two. While metalcore lives true to its name by having dominantly "metal" riffs with a young "hardcore" feel to it, deathcore hybrids the hateful sound of death metal and adds breakdowns to it. While it may be a cheap trick, I still give it credit for being at least somewhat intriguing.

This progression began with bands like All Shall Perish and Mortal Treason who utilized their influences of late 90's death metal (Suffocation/Cryptopsy) and took influence from bands who were making use of the breakdown at the time (Bleeding Through/Poison the Well.) It seemed to be a fantastic progression, but with any good idea comes mimickers. You should never be ashamed to like a band, but you should at least look at their influences too. I think Oceano decided to ignore that notion.

Oceano's Depths is a slapdash attempt at being able to tour the country with a halfassed formula based record. It's so blatantly obvious that these kids are simply Elysia fans who figured out how to program drums on their computer and crank out a drop-tuned disaster.

The record starts off with the typical "scaaaary" intro entitled Descent that sounds like it was just taken from the deleted scenes from Saw. I suppose it sets the mood, but the mood is contrived and this is already telling me that much. I brace myself for what cliche is coming after this 58 seconds is up. Inhuman Affliction kicks off. Oh whaddya know? Bass drum tom-tom flam intro! How absolutely original! Then I see a glimmer of hope; the vocals are pretty sweet. Over the annoying attack of gravity-blasts and guitar chug-ems shouts ex-backyard wrestling vocalist Adam Warren. While what he says is practically impossible to decipher, its entertaining at the very least. I'm only paying attention to his vocals rather than the lame attempts at "punishing" breakdowns and "balls-to-the-wall technicality." This is a pretty bad sign, given the fact that there actually is music playing behind him. I don't even notice it, that's how overdone and boring this record already is.

Depths trudges on with more and more formulaic dookie while their vocalist tries to save this shaky train from derailing even faster. There's the occasional moody part with delay guitar and pretty chords, to show that the band has been doing their Misery Signals homework. They try what works, I give them props for doing that at least. One thing that deters me from truly getting into the record is that I know that the drums are entirely programmed, and it is so blatantly obvious. Virtually every hit sounds identical, taking away any possible life this album could ever hope to have.

Still, I push on. Through the yawn-worthy Samael the Destroyer and the "totally epic title track!!!" Depths, I find myself getting closer and closer to just erasing the album from my iTunes existence. Then kicks off their most famous song, District of Misery which actually turns out to be a pretty badass song. It starts off with a cute little drum fill, followed by your typical triplet progression over individual snare hits then motions quickly into an actually truly heavy breakdown. Captivating the best aspect of the band, the vocalist, and actually doing well with the sound they were trying to go for. This song sounds like they weren't trying too hard like all of the others, and in turn ends up sounding well executed. No over-the-top-drums, some pretty cool guitar riffing and a solid structure. Pretty much the only song on the album even worth giving a crap about.

Slaughtered Like Swine is pretty cool too, but again it's only because of the vocalist. There's a pretty decent vocal cadence throughout the last minute and a half of the song. However, the first half of the song is equivalent to the rest of the malarky on this album.

Then there are about 1500 more breakdowns on the record.

This album would've been an easy 1.5 if it were not for those two songs. I couldn't necessarily give it a 1, because it is obvious that the guitarists/bassist can at least semi-play their instruments. They copy-cat every band who was copy-catting before them and it sounds so unbelievably watered down and dull that I know I'll never go back and listen to this record. I will say, this is not the worst attempt at deathcore I've ever heard (see Underneath the Gun) and I do believe these kids enjoy what they're doing which counts for at least a little something. That being said, this regurgitated formula is getting gradually more irritating. The puppy is no longer cute guys, nice try though.

Recommended Tracks:
District of Misery
Slaughtered Like Swine

Nirvana MTV Unplugged in New YorkBrook and River Inside Voices
Fallen Figure DevivalDangers Anger
Andrew Jackson Jihad People Who Can Eat People are the Luckiest PeopleDynospectrum Dynospectrum
2.7
AngiaC93 (4)
Devastation at its finest, and even better on stage! Oceano dominates the deathcore scene with ultim...

BringMeTheWaffles. (3)
Formulated Deathcore=Depths...

promiseswept (3)
Intense and....uh, well, that's about it....

Contagion

Incisions

xequalscore
May 12th 2009

The one song I heard by these guys was not impressive. Won't be checking this out.

burnafterbreeding
May 12th 2009

"You cannot rate your own review" pshh, says who?

KYZAR
May 12th 2009

Sounds like massive amounts of suck, good review though.
This Message Edited On 05.12.09

BornDeadBuriedAlive

pos'd. good review.

Knott-
May 12th 2009

summary doesn't need "from", it's grammatically incorrect

burnafterbreeding

You're right. Thanks

Knott-
May 12th 2009

Nice. Pos'd, great review. Not my type of music at all, but definitely my type of writing.

poweroftheweez
May 12th 2009

half this record is ok. the rest is boring as fuck.

EDIT: and for the record, drums are not programmed, just triggered.

This Message Edited On 05.12.09

CoRpSeSlAyEr
May 12th 2009

These guys are from my area idk how they got so big.

marksellsuswallets
May 12th 2009

I read their bio on their myspace...they go on and on about Drop A tuning like they came up with it, it's sickening...

sspedding
May 12th 2009

i listened to these a while ago, and it was shit.

shinfojoe
May 12th 2009

i agree with corpseslayer. these guys are from my area and they suck. goes to show anyone who plays in drop A with breakdowns can make it big!

iamthenightmare

review is spot on.

shame this performance is deemed worthy of signage when there are so much more creative ventures into deathcore that could be signed. although i might be using the word creative quite liberally

shortone323
May 13th 2009

Nice review. I find myself drawn to bands whose name contains certain words, Ocean being among them. I saw this on the new releases a while ago and never bothered to check this out. I'm glad I didn't.

rasputin
May 13th 2009

thought this was funeral doom

iamthenightmare
May 13th 2009

wish it were funeral doom

Wizard

19448 Comments

Really impressive review and I fully agree. This band has to be bottom-of-the-bucket by now. I mean, how many times can a sub-genre make the same album?

Digging: Godflesh - A World Lit Only By Fire

sspedding
May 23rd 2009

there is nothing on this album which makes me want to listen to it again.

ShowNoMercy
May 28th 2009

Boring record overall, just a bunch of power chord breakdowns. Yawn..

SuckleMyKnuckle
May 30th 2009

This review is the only thing that has anything to do with with this band that will ever be good.