The Acacia Strain
Continent

by withALMONDS USER (12 Reviews)
May 7th, 2009 | 17 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: You know that feeling you get right after you tackle someone and just lay them right out? Take that feeling and turn it into 11 songs that keep that feeling from start to finish.

I'd been meaning to pick this album up for awhile now, but after hearing so much bad about the deathcore genre in general, I decided to put it off for awhile. Once I started getting into bands that had more of a deathcore, death metal, or even a sort of brutal hardcore sound, I decided to go ahead and check these guys out, and they did not disappoint. The first track of the album, Skynet tips you off right away that you're about to start one helluva ride. The song starts off relatively quiet, and steadily builds up to Daniel Laskiewicz(guitar), Kevin Boutot(drums), and Jack Strong(bass) coming in with what is, at the risk of sounding like a fanboy, a facemelting breakdown. You only need to wait a few seconds before Vincent Bennet comes in and boosts up the brutality by growling out the words "If you think like a whore then you're a fucking whore." Now, I don't know about you, but after hearing that, I got pumped. The rest of the track cruises along with everything going fast and frantic. Boutot is just frantically pounding away on the drums, Laskiewicz manages to pull of some solos that get you pumped, only to be followed by Vinny growling and gurgling to the point that you want to start a fight just to get rid of the adrenaline rush.

The thing about these guys, is that they don't sound like another band being brutal just to be brutal, or being brutal just to prove they've got what it takes to be All Shall Perish Clone #4937378, they sound like they're having fun, and they sound like they all love what they're doing. The Acacia Strain members have once again, in an almost Animosity-like move, managed to put out an amazing album that sounds even more brutal, even faster, and even more talented than their last album in every respect. Dr. Doom, another highlight of the album starts off with the admittedly cliche scream in the intro. But trust me, when you hear this, you're not worrying about that at all, you want to get right in there and be part of the band, but before you can even recover from the initial brutality of the song, you're hit in the face again with more amazing guitar and bass work, and even more frantic drumming.

JFC, or "Jesus Fucking Christ", not only the name of the 8th track, but also what you're going to be thinking as you hear this song start out. Mixed a little quieter than normal, you hear Bennet growl out the words "I am the end of the world" which is immediately followed by the breakdown that will make you repeat the rest of the song. This song is literally breakdown after breakdown after breakdown. And unlike The Devil Wears Prada's latest attempt at cramming 8 or 9 breakdowns into one song, these guys can actually do it without making you want to stab the vocalist in the face. Just as the next song finishes and you think the album is going to start slowing down, you're hit with The Combine. Despite being only 2:02, this is without a doubt my favorite song on the album. Everything starts at the same time, everything stays going for the entire song, and nothing ever lets up. All of the members manage to sound at least twice as brutal, twice as skilled, and twice as angry. The vocals kick everything up another notch with the repeated phrases "No remorse for anything, No salvation for anyone." and "You want a war motherfucker? I'll give you a fucking war!"

The Acacia Strain are a band that don't really save the deathcore genre, they are moving ahead and being one of the few talented bands that have unfortunately been grouped into the genre because of the seemingly limitless metal, death, and hardcore groups coming to fame every day. Continent is a great album that any corefag, scenester, or metalhead should seriously check out regardless of what they think of the deathcore genre.

Bury Your Dead It's Nothing PersonalCurl Up and Die The One of Above All, The End of All
Comeback Kid BroadcastingAnimosity Shut It Down
Raunchy Confusion BayFrom A Second Story Window Conversations
TheDualist (2.5)
In theory, The Acacia Strain's fourth album is a metalhead's wet dream: detuned guitars, brutal scre...

asaf (3.5)
Continent dominates deathcore and takes the ladies of Emmure back to the local shoe store....

May 7th 2009

2nd review, tried to improve it from my first but there's still bound to be problems, so point them out and i'll be happy to listen

Slimjim367
May 7th 2009

good review, but not my cup of tea
they seem utterly un-creative musicwise, form what I've hear atleast
seeing as the majority of all their songs i played on 1 note.

Athom
May 7th 2009

I hate this band and their Ben Roethlisberger look alike singer but i mus say that it was a good review.

DWittisarockstar
May 8th 2009

This band is incredibly average in the deathcore scene.

And their breakdowns kinda suck, which is all deathcore is good for anyways.

A7XEric
May 8th 2009

I must admit, it's got to take a lot of creativity to turn 1 or 2 notes into an entire album's worth of music.

Ha I love your closing sentence I must say. Made me chuckle.

HenchmanOfSanta
May 8th 2009

****in' legit breakdowns, BRO!

Digging: Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 2

poweroftheweez

band isn't deathcore yo.

burnafterbreeding
May 8th 2009

Zeuss ruined this recording. the vocals sound like he's burping but trying not to throw up.

Phantom
May 8th 2009

These guys love their Monster energy drink.

KYZAR

SIck i will get [somewhat]legally

NYdubber
May 8th 2009

I'm so fucking sick of breakdowns.

"back-in-my-day" moment, please skip if you don't like these....

But I remember back in my day ('97-01) of going to shows every other day where a band would have maybe one or two songs that had just out of nowhere breakdowns.

When it happened it would be nearly a highlight of the show/evening depending on the band and/or who else was playing that night...obviously.

All this shit nowadays is song after song after song of nothing but what is essentially a big fucking breakdown tied together with some shitty buzzy guitar playing and some lame spaztic unoriginal drumming.

Yeh, some of these bands have decent songs and aren't THAT bad, but you can barely listen to an entire album from start to finish without asking yourself, "shit, didn't I hear this song already?"

edit: I haven't finished listening to this album yet, out of the 3 tracks I have heard it is sitting at about a 2.5-3. We'll see how the rest goes.This Message Edited On 05.08.09

absurdismwine
May 8th 2009

well that's why you stay away from those bands...

IntoTheFire

SHE DIED LIKE SHE LIVED ON HER F*CKING BACK

IntoTheFire
May 8th 2009

and yeah seriously this isn't deathcore

May 8th 2009

I'm so fucking sick of breakdowns.

I never really got into the hardcore scene way back when, so I can't really say I agree with everything there. I will say that I agree bands need to stop cramming upwards of 8 breakdowns into one song just to avoid having to improve at all and getting to keep their fanbase of anorexic scene chicks.

May 8th 2009

And yeah, that's a mistake on my part really. I never really bothered to find out the genre and just relied on last.fm ratings

Exile29
May 9th 2009

I completely agree with your review...The Acacia Strain have always been at the forefront of their genre in my opinion.