DJ Muggs Vs GZA
Grandmasters

by Maximilian Harkness USER (65 Reviews)
May 7th, 2009 | 19 replies

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: GZA gets Muggs and makes the best album of his career since Liquid Swords

GZA is on his way to a make a master piece again, or is he? While he is one of the best MC’s to ever have a grip on the microphone, he’s a bit boring on his own with a production genius behind him, making the perfect beats for him. That easily explains his first two albums after Liquid Swords. They’re great albums, but without the presence of a soul producer, they sounded a bit uninspired musically. On Grandmasters, GZA makes an album that is almost worth every ounce of weight that Liquid Swords was, and is easily one of the best solo Wu-Tang albums released so far.

Why is that Grandmasters is so good and albums like Legend of the Liquid Swords are good but boring? Well, this could be the production of DJ Muggs, who, like RZA on Liquid Swords, creates a dark atmosphere on his own. Muggs occasionally adds a little bit of light flavor in order to spice up the record, like the dream-like sequence in the beginning of the third verse of “Destruction of A Guard”, but the production mostly consists of a precise, hard hitting hypnotic dark atmosphere, with the occasional use of soulful voices. Production-wise, highlights come in the form of “Queen’s Gambit”, which has a very minimalistic use of a singular piano line and slight back drop of horns and bass, to create very relaxed, easy moving, and almost jazzy groove. Another highlight on Grandmasters production-wise is “Those That’s Bout It”, a song that consists of a menacing-sounding keyboard and high pitched soul samples.

GZA puts up a great performance as well, but that is merely status quo for him. Even then, he has some highlight there as well. “All In Together Now” is head banging respect to Ol’ Dirty Bastard, and “Those That’s Bout It” is an excellent opening, and shows that this effort is a bit more of a story tellers album instead of a rap hustlers album. While songs like “Liquid Swords” in his earlier career were almost word-play show-off tracks, GZA no longer feels the need to just be a gigantic lyrical show off, and instead of that, he has been decidedly more of a story teller, and it works great for Grandmasters.

Truth is, Grandmasters is every bit of the album that Liquid Swords ever was, but instead of spending a lot of the albums time proving himself, GZA spends all of his time giving us realistic, brooding stories of the hood and all of the interesting details it has. Saying that you should get Grandmasters right now is an understatement of what I want of you right now.

Snoop Dogg Paid tha Cost to Be da Bo$$Jay-Z The Blueprint 3
RZA RZA as Bobby Digital in StereoQ-Tip Kamaal The Abstract
Q-Tip AmplifiedJay-Z Kingdom Come
HexInfinity (5)
Hip Hop has just been checkmated. Amazing beats and amazing lyrics equate to an amazing album....

May 7th 2009

ugh haven't written in a while, and probably won't again for another while, idk

easylee
May 7th 2009

better than most of the solo wu albums tbh

Brownnotes24
May 7th 2009

wow i cant wait to check this out this is the best thing i'v herd on this site for awhile i'm a big GZA fan cant wait to go home and get this

May 7th 2009

love this album. did you check this under my recommendation? that makes me feel special :3This Message Edited On 05.07.09

Brownnotes24
May 7th 2009

yes i did thats a great review! im @ work right now, but i will be able to check it out when i get home the name of it is just Grandmasters right? and thank you for posting this

Phantom
May 7th 2009

I really like Wu Tang and Cypress Hill so I need to get this.

This Message Edited On 05.07.09

May 7th 2009

i'm surprised this album is so unknown. it is really good.

it really is

also hey its my 50th review.This Message Edited On 05.07.09

DaveyBoy

20857 Comments

MaxyBoy lives!

Good review mate.

Tits McGee
May 7th 2009

he’s a bit boring on his own with a production genius behind him

probably should be without

May 7th 2009

well he can rap awesome, but his voice sort of just dulls in the background.

kingsoby1
May 7th 2009

you should keep the reviews coming, i think you could make contributor if you tried. it'd be nice to have someone else that (consistently) reviews hip-hop.

MassiveAttack
May 7th 2009

this album is amazing, really loved it.

Tits McGee
May 8th 2009

idk, I just don't understand what you are trying to say that then.

But aside from that this is a solid review. Happy 50.

MassiveAttack
May 8th 2009

I haven't listened to this in quite a bit of time, but judging my rating it seems to be worth it.

Those that's 'bout it M.C.'s I run with
Those that doubt it on the mic get done quick
Even if you left in intensive care
I'll have the plug pulled before your crew gets there

May 8th 2009

idk, I just don't understand what you are trying to say that then.

But aside from that this is a solid review. Happy 50.

danke.

mmmm i might start writting more reviews over the summer if this is the response i get.

Hollow
August 27th 2009

I might like this a little more than Liquid Swords because I can hear more of GZAs own lyrics and great perfomances, Muggs also did one of the best production I've ever heard.

HalfManHalfAmazing
November 24th 2010

Good lord, why am I the only one who doesn't like DJ Muggs production here?