Poison the Well
I/III / II/III / III/III

by Slimjim367 USER (19 Reviews)
May 5th, 2009 | 18 replies | 10,405 views

Review Summary: A good release with short but sweet songs that are energetic and upbeat.

When I heard, almost a year ago, about Poison The Well's plan to release 3 seperate vinyls with extra songs not recorded on their latest LP, 'Versions', and put them all out on limited edition (2000 copies) Cd globally on Record Store Day, I thought to myself, "they were probably not put on Versions for a reason". Well I was right, although for a completely different reason. I had thought that they werent on Versions because frankly, I had the idea that the songs would be lacking in quality, that the band had thrown together extra songs 'just in case' and was trying to cash in on them. Turns out they weren't on Versions because they have a completely different feel than it did.

Now in my opinion (and I'm not here to review Versions) their last one was a darker, dirtier feeling CD. These songs have an almost upbeat feel to them. The way they were released was really well thought out, because each of these songs sounds like the band has really progressed, although they were recorded at the same time. Each set of two songs (1+2, 3+4, 5+6) all came out on different seven inches (all with cover art that makes the band logo when combined) and the order the songs are placed in is really key to the release. What I mean by that is that the second 2 songs (3, 4) build on the first two, and so on, so that by the final 2 songs, you really feel like the band has just written and recorded them in that order.

New Fast is a track that holds as much energy as anything from 'The Opposite Of December' with new the age Poison the Well writing style. It fast, upbeat, and addictive. This song is great opening and gives you the feel of the entire album.

Some songs are slower, with almost clean parts, (see parts of 'Purple Sabbath' and 'Bowie'), but most follo this pattern of fast an upbeat, happy feeling songs from a band that last released a dark one (again, in my opinion). Jeffrey does a lot of singing on this one, with many harmonious parts (most of 'A# No.1'), which creat catchy choruses that you'll be humming for days afterwards.

Most of the songs are quite short, which is annoying, just when you really get into them they're over (Gone Clean is 1:02) and because of this, you sometimes dont feel as if the song isn't done, as if the thought hasn't finished. Some songs lack in interesting parts or hooks (i.e. 'Bowie', 'Gone Clean') but the other 4 are so catchy it will make up for it.

Overall, a good mid-LP release that got me more stoked about the upcoming 'Tropic Rot' Poison the Well plans to release. Easy quick-pick up-and-listen songs that don't require much thought, but will have you hooked. Basically, if you liked Versions you'll like there, they aren't reinventing their sound, just cruising on it, which at this point, is just fine with me.

Meshuggah obZenPelican What We All Come To Need
Becoming The Archetype DichotomyNo Hawaii Bruce Lee In Your Brain EP
Seneca ReflectionsRosesdead Stages

Athom
May 5th 2009

i found the songs from II/III to be pretty shitty. the rest was pretty alright.

kygermo
May 5th 2009

Nice review. I love Purple Sabbath both for the song itself and for the wicked title.

good stuff

halloway
May 5th 2009

where'd you get the pic of the album art from?

May 5th 2009

look up i/iii ii/iii iii/iii on google pictures
i wanted a copy so badly on record store day
had to get it on ebay after
they sold out at the local record store
really worth it
i love 2/3 just for 'shuffle'

halloway
May 5th 2009

they had 3 copies at my LRS in green bay, wisconsin.... isn't that overkill/lucky? :-)

Wizard

19210 Comments

Review was excellent. Don't really care much for these guys anymore.

Digging: Monarch - Sabbracadaver

thanks
did you buy one?

Infernis
May 6th 2009

What are the lyrics to A#1!

poweroftheweez
May 6th 2009

sweet review, but I'll probably pass this one up. never really got into these guys.

xequalscore
May 6th 2009

I've yet to get III/III but, I'll try and find it somewhere. Purple Sabbath fucking rocks.

iii/iii is ok
gone clean is meh
kinda boring ish
A# is good
i ordered the vinyls for each also,
i kinda wish the vinyls had something exclusive but ah well
you can get the songs for iii/iii on itunes (or 'other' places) may 18
though its probably out now on torrents or something

hismajestythepope
May 6th 2009

so is this basically the 2006 demo?

A# is such a good song

cbmartinez
May 6th 2009

I was surprised at how good this was, I expected some throwaway b sides but all these songs slay. Nice hearing A#1 too, I loved that song from the demos.

straightedgephil
July 14th 2009

"Purple Sabbath" has become one of my favorite songs.
I liked the original demo version of "A#1" better, but the new one is growing on me.
I really wished "Oceanbreast" made it on to one of these, that song is glorious.

Inveigh

Purple sabbath....awesome

Digging: 68 - In Humor and Sadness

TrephineArtist
August 25th 2012

I recently got my CD copy of this, worth it for 'Purple Sabbath' alone. Fantastic song, why was this left off the 'Versions' album?

Also I agree with straightedgephil I wish 'Oceanbreast' was on here too, another fine tune. Where can I get that song? I know its on youtube.

As for the rest off the songs here, they've yet to sink in but they seem to be more b-side material to me, still cool though.