Elliott Smith
Live at Largo

by Adam Thomas STAFF
May 2nd, 2009 | 14 replies | 10,274 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: So glad to meet you, Angeles.

Sometimes it's not until something is taken away from us that when truly realize how special it was. With his death, Elliott Smith's near flawless catalog has become a tangible temple to the man. Even the dozens of fan bootlegs that have surfaced over the years bleed with the greater sense of something more.

Live At Largo was issued with Autumn De Wilde's 2007 book Elliott Smith and features cleaned up versions of select bootlegs from a 1998 performance that have been floating around the internet for quite some time. While it is only a fraction of the original concert, the three Smith originals and two covers contained on Live At Largo are a treat. Live At Largo begins with the fluttering finger-picking of “Angeles”. Live, Smith's voice has the same endearing and therapeutic properties as on his recorded work. It carries like a whisper, intimate and bare, warming the heart like hot cup of tea on a cold day. The production on Live At Largo helps cast the songs at hand in a much more uplifting light than their studio counterparts. The Either/Or tracks have been exorcised from the depressing haze of the album recordings and feed off of Smith's energy and presence making them seem almost happy.

Live At Largo ends with its strongest moment. Elliott Smith's seemingly impromptu cover of Hank William Jr.'s “All My Rowdy Friends (Have Settled Down)” is probably the most human recording of him on tape. He fucks up the words numerous times, and hits the occasional clumsy chord, yet all the while he's giggling and just having fun with it. It's hard not to picture a wide smile across his face while playing it. As Smith finishes the song, he laughs and says, “You weren't thrown off by my fuck ups? 'Cos there's more to come...” If only that were so.

Matter TeraphimThe Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is There
Owls TwoTaking Back Sunday Happiness Is
GridLink LonghenaComeback Kid Die Knowing

Spare

Last line made me D:

Meatplow
May 2nd 2009

Nice little review. I haven't checked out Elliot Smith before, but i've got a bit of a flavour for folk singer/songwriter type material (i've heard him described as such before) recently so I might well look into his work.

Minus The Flair
May 2nd 2009

Love this guy. Last line made me D: too.

SeaAnemone
May 2nd 2009

elliott's easily one of the biggest losses to modern music... he had so much more to do ... oh well, at least he left us a few masterpieces along the way. i should check this out.

kingsoby1
May 2nd 2009

prob my fav folk/ singer songwriter. great condensed review.

my fav track he's ever done is King's Crossing bar none.

Digging: Nmesh - Dream Sequins

Athom
May 2nd 2009

While writing this I went and got a whole mess of bootlegs on Archive.org. There's a lot of really good stuff on there.

Digging: Sad Lovers and Giants - Feeding the Flame

charlesfishtitz

love it

kitsch
May 2nd 2009

elliott smith is my favorite artist ever.
i have like 15 bootlegs on my comp.

i liked this, esp the hank williams cover,
review pretty much summed it up.

the book is okay, but they fumble around the important points too much and people end up talking about themselves a lot and reminiscing. for those that dont already know a lot about elliott's life (im not one of them) the book would seem like one big insider conversation. autumn de wilde is not that great of an interviewer and at one point she even plugs her latest work.

brainsheldis
June 15th 2009

Elliott Smith is my favorite artist ever, too.
The Hank Williams cover made me want to laugh and cry all at the same time.

EVedder27
January 6th 2011

the version of angeles on this might just be even better than the either/or one

kitsch
January 7th 2011

srsly look up some bootlegs on archive.org, they have shows longer and better than this one

EVedder27
January 9th 2011

just downloaded a show from dec. '99 and the quality is fantastic

Athom
January 9th 2011

5/18/98 in san fran is my favorite

Pheromone
January 20th 2014

I reckon all of the first three tracks would find their way on to my top five ES songs, good choices.

Digging: The Flaming Lips - 7 Skies H3