The Holly Springs Disaster
Motion Sickness Love

by Slimjim367 USER (19 Reviews)
May 1st, 2009 | 35 replies

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Although it's not breaking new ground, Motion Sickness Love is a short but rewarding listen .

Static, Dripping, then footsteps as a door screeches open. the jingling of keys, then a lighter and a deep breath, followed by a scream of "So let me introduce Myself".

These are the sounds which open 'Motion Sickness Love'. the Debut album by the holly Springs Disaster. For those of you not familiar with them, think a heavier, more metalcore based Maylene and the sons of Disaster, with songs as fun as newer Every time I die, and the southern feel of Dead And Divine (although THSD is actually Canadian).

The Cd is really quite catchy and had me hooked for several months. It ranges from metalcore-esque breakdowns to pop-ish singing, but though these sound like a foolish mix worthy of failure, they actually compliment each other nicely. One second the gutteral screaming of Mike Froh will be tearing out your eardrum, the next moment him and Josh (guitar) will be singing a beautiful lead over the song.

The lyrics mostly concern intoxication and its after effects (note the Cd name), but also include sex - "She'll shed virgin skin, without feeling like a whore". The song names are kind of lame (see 'I D.A.R.E. David Bowie to Drive Drunk', 'Absolut Balderdash', and 'A Nice Night for A Neck Injury'), but this is excusable because of the quality of the music.

But it's not all breakdowns and singing, there's tapping, of the quite tasteful-non-solo buildup variety (I Feel Like i'm Taking Crazy Pills), guitar harmonies (Showdown), gang-vocals, and even a piano interlude (Showdown/My Pet Monster). Despite this description no doubt making many metalcore veterans cringe in fear, it all runs very smoothly and quite uniquely.

Motion Sickness Love runs in only half an hour (25 minutes actually), which is one of the only cons. In terms of replayability, it gets old after a while, but stays fresh surprisingly long. By that i mean, atleast for me, I was 'into' it for about 2 months, but once it grew old, I could no longer listen to it save for a wait of 6 months later. In truth, the experience is quite worth it, the members of THSD being extremely talented indivuals in terms of playing and songwriting.

But will 'Motion Sickness Love' propel The Holly Springs Disaster into fame? Or will they simply go 'up in smoke' like so many of their counterparts?

Meshuggah obZenPelican What We All Come To Need
Becoming The Archetype DichotomyNo Hawaii Bruce Lee In Your Brain EP
Seneca ReflectionsRosesdead Stages

xequalscore
May 1st 2009

I can't find this anywhere but, what I've heard is awesome. It's super catchy. I love that "Oh, Shit" right before the breakdown. Cracks me up every time.

Meatplow
May 2nd 2009

Doesn't sound too bad. I've had difficulties bothering to get around to investigate metalcore properly, what i've heard of it sucks but I hear there is some good stuff as well.

Pebster49
May 5th 2009

I think his harsh vocals could be a better

Slimjim367
May 5th 2009

but thats what the band intended, in my mind atleast
the contracting clean/harshness to really give it attitude
it matches the lyrics

IndieOut
October 14th 2009

the band gets old, and never releases new material. also, the stuff the play is not hard at all. it's pretty generic stuff, but so fun to listen to at parties.

8bit
January 29th 2010

This is going to be a hard album to top, now that Mike Froh left.

Beauville88
June 10th 2010

Sad to see these guys go.

pmmets07
August 8th 2010

meh

KatieKnight
December 12th 2010

Catchy lyrics matched up with some awesome breakdowns makes for a great listen.

MrHigh
December 20th 2010

I agree that all the breakdowns, harmonies and gang vocals are used very tastefully and the harsh/clean vocal contrast really brings feeling and honesty to the songs. A shame that they broke up.

piecey
March 9th 2011

This is another all-time favourite album. the style is dirty and southern and heavy. Mike Froh has a very distinct and recognizable vocal style as well. try and copy him, i dare you.

thedougler
May 19th 2011

These guys were the best thing to come out of Saskatchewan. So sad they are gone. Amazing cd. Probably my favourite of all time

TomArnoldsArmpit
June 12th 2011

This is kinda cool.

MotionSicknessLove
August 14th 2011

Even though I'm that into that genre of music anymore this is still my favorite band and a great album, really sucks they broke up the new album probably would of been even better.

Good review.

March 5th 2012

Yeah rules. I'm losing interest in most metalcore all together it seems.

aqualungcancer
May 15th 2012

Beautifully good shit.

June 16th 2012

Still love this.

johnnyblaze
July 4th 2012

vocals and riffs are indeed awesome on this. saw these dudes live like four years ago - show was super intense.

July 4th 2012

Their live show was fantastic. Saw them with Architects back when Architects was only playing songs off of Hollow Crown. Such a great show.

July 4th 2012

I love Hollow Crown sooo .