International Superheroes of Hardcore
HPxHC

by Taylor Jermolajew USER (39 Reviews)
April 26th, 2009 | 9 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Who ever said Harry Potter wasn't hardcore?

For those unfamiliar with the International Superheroes of Hardcore; the band is effectively New Found Glory with one slight change line-up wise, NFG guitarist Chad Gilbert and vocalist Jordan Pundik switch roles. As such an amazing transformation occurs turning an average-to-good pop-punk band into what sounds like a seasoned and energetic hardcore band.

The HPxHC (Harry Potter Hardcore) EP is the band’s second offering consisting of four short tracks that never go beyond 2 minutes. The EP opens with the title track detailing just how hardcore Harry Potter really is (He burnt down Gryffindor). The rest of the EP continues the same way with joke songs whether it’s the band declaring a bounty on Batman’s head for banning all age’s shows in Gotham City, or making sure everyone knows that they’re keeping Santa Claus real.

The downside to the EP is what also makes it good; the length. The EP could be 8 tracks long and it still would barely breach 10 minutes which some may see as a downside. Despite being 4 songs long and being roughly 5-6 minutes long the album is full of punchy hardcore tunes. The strength of the band is mainly in Chad Gilbert’s voice but the rest of the band definitely pulls their weight, the drumming is impressive and the guitar work whilst nothing special should keep people interested.

All in all the band has put forth a strong EP, the sheer amount of energy in the performance keeps it from being dull and the humorous, yet self-aware lyrics are both catchy and memorable, which makes what could have been an average hardcore album, somewhat of a gem in today’ s scene.

Johnny Truant In the Library of Horrific EventsDead Kings Dead Kings
Blackhole Dead HeartsNorma Jean O' God The Aftermath
From First to Last Throne to the WolvesThe Dillinger Escape Plan Calculating Infinity

Waior
April 27th 2009

Kind of short on details, but it seems this album is kind of short on music. Literally.

nice work

xequalscore
April 27th 2009

Didn't know these guys released a new record. I just saw NFG the other day and was hoping that they would play some ISHC but, sadly, they did not.

Metalstyles
April 27th 2009

good review, need to check this out.

Zippermouth
April 27th 2009

This guy coulda been a contributor...

MassiveAttack

your comment confuses me

Willie
April 27th 2009

This version of NFG is really good. I haven't heard this exact album, but I heard the split they did a few months back (maybe longer, actually).

Digging: Mors Principium Est - Dawn Of The 5th Era

DaveyBoy

20858 Comments

6 minutes long!?!?!? Man, I wouldn't even know how to rate something that short.

DaveyBoy

20858 Comments

Yeah, considering that Taylor, it's a good review (which I should have mentioned on the previous comment). But there is such a fine line between a rating of 2 & 5 when it comes to 6 minutes worth. I mean, some individual songs are longer than that.

AtavanHalen