Game
Doctor's Advocate

by Henry USER (6 Reviews)
April 10th, 2009 | 17 replies | 8,700 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Game time!

With the release of „The Documentary“, Game was at the peak of his popularity and „The Documentary“ also proved to be very successful, selling over 5 million units worldwide.Shortly after the release however Game was kicked out of G-Unit and that triggered the infamous feud between Game and G-Unit that lasts until present day but has cooled off over the years.Initially G-Unit and 50 Cent claimed that Game won’t be successful without their help and would soon be washed up.Both sides released several „diss“ records.The Game, wanting to prove that he is still able to release good music and successful album without the help of 50 Cent, G-Unit or Dr. Dre.

That album is „The Doctor’s Advocate“, released in 2006.Like he wanted to prove, the album really was a success but sold considerably less than „The Documentary“.Still worth noting that it doesn’t have any production by Dr. Dre but does have production by several other noteable producers who also worked with him on his first album like Kanye West and Scott Storch.Other producers include will.i.am, Just Blaze, Swizz Beats and couple of less known producers.The album has much more West Coast feel than The Documentary with faster beats and much deeper bass sound.Album also includes soul samples and and nice piano riffs with funk samples.

Album’s lyrics are typical to that of a West Coast album with subjects like drug use, gang violence, partying, sex and how it is like to live in a Los Angeles violent suburbs.The album’s guests also are more of West Coast artists like Tha Dogg Pound on a track „Bang“.Snoop Dogg and Xzibit are featured on „California Vacation“ and Nate Dogg is featured on „Too Much“.In any case however, albums still need that East Coast flavour and for that, Game collaborated with Queensbridge legend Nas on a track „Why You Hate The Game“.Busta Rhymes is featured on title track „Doctor’s Advocate“, a track that is made kind of like a confession and talks about Game’s troubles and explains his fall out with Dr. Dre.Also worth noting that will.i.am did not only produce for the album but was also featured on a track titled „Compton“ but Game could have done that track better solo.And lastly Kanye West is featured on a track „Wouldn’t Get Far“, that was also third single released from the album.The track itself is probably inspired by a 2Pac song „All Bout U“ and speaks of similar subjects. The Game mentions and criticizes many models and actresses of how they succeed in their business.The track itself is enjoyable and one of the best from the album.

It also does have its negative sides.The Game continues to constantly mention other rappers mostly 2Pac, Dr. Dre and the godfather of gangsta rap, Eazy-E.On some tracks Game also raps about too typical subjects of the West Coast hip hop, it’s fine and all but on a track Let’s Ride, wich is completely just a song with lyrics talking about 64 Impala.I’m not saying that track shouldn’t have been included but as a single, some other track could have done better.

Overall “Doctor’s Advocate” isn’t a bad album, at first when I got it I didn’t feel like it’s good and couldn’t listen to that much, now however it’s changed, the more I listen to it, the better it gets.These 16 tracks are certainly one of the best Game has ever recorded and put out.I’m not afraid to say that it is his best album and it’s well worth adding to your collection.If you still are sceptical then check out those tracks:

“Lookin’ at You”

Masta Killa Made in Brooklyn2Pac Better Dayz
50 Cent Power of the DollarCapone-N-Noreaga The War Report
Tha Dogg Pound Dogg Food
Hillary Clittounge (4.5)
It’s not a game. It’s just called a game. There will be no referees, no half time reports. When ...

GaryJohnson2012 (4.5)
The Game proves he is anything but a one-album-wonder, improves his lyricism and matures dramaticall...

snoopdogg6969 (5)
I graduated from Dre. School, top of my class: Treat my switches like my bitches, got em droppin tha...

Bfhurricane

I just lost

gaslightanthem
April 10th 2009

i hate the game it's so lame and i'm not talking about the rapper

gaslightanthem
April 10th 2009

although i don't particularly like him either

April 10th 2009

Hehe, well some like some don't.

scyther
April 10th 2009

The title track is my favorite, this is a really good album. California Vacation is great too.

dub sean
April 10th 2009

The Doctor's Advocate + Ol' English + California Vacation = Awesome.

April 10th 2009

Ol' English is maybe the best track on this if I get to thinking but overall Game's best track I think so far is Hate it or Love It

April 13th 2009

review is fine, pos. it's good to see that you have taken the constructive critisism well and have corrected some flaws you had on your last review.

It's a good review, but for a lil bit constructive critisism once again I suggest you look at the 4th paragraph once again (the small one), it is a bit awkward to read.

Game is a solid rapper, but not something I would listen daily.

April 13th 2009

Yeah I don't blame you, I personally need some kind of special mood to listen to him since in my playlist he sits next to Nas and Wu-Tang, I still prefer the other two but again, Game is not bad and with this album he proves that he is one of the west coast's finest.

April 13th 2009

oh yeah, btw what's up with his album covers haha. They all look terrible and the covers to The Documentary and Doctors Advocate look almost the same. Did he ran out of any ideas or what.

Game: let's just add a wheel and change the background color and that is a kickass cover(once again)

April 13th 2009

Well about the covers...I don't know, they look the same yes but LAX cover is good however LAX is his weakest album so far.

April 13th 2009

There is no denying it bro, The Game's cover arts suck big time, it doesn't matter how good the albums themselves are.

April 13th 2009

Overall...pretty much yes but I've seen worse.

April 13th 2009

There can always be worse haha

April 14th 2009

That's for sure

MUNGOLOID
June 26th 2010

lots of killer tracks on here.

snoopdogg6969
September 2nd 2012

Hes sitting on platinum rims in his new cover when his old one was gold (supposed to represent him still being able to go platinum without Dr. Dre)... the album covers make sense if you take into account the NAME of the album (what a thought).There's alternate album covers with his son on them.