Panopticon/Wheels Within Wheels
Panopticon/Wheels Within Wheels

by Karl V.H. USER (85 Reviews)
April 7th, 2009 | 33 replies

Review Summary: Like a banana split, only better!

To make a clear definition of what a split album is, split albums generally consist of at least two bands, whether they are of the same genre or not, collaborating together or creating individual songs that can consist of an entire full length album or an E.P. These split albums can either be for marketing purposes by a label/ band wanting to showcase its potential or simply a creative force between two like-minded bands that want to create an album worthy of your time and money. Splits are for the most part, a rarity in metal with the odd split album popping up here and there within the genre. In fact, split albums have been known to propel bands careers into motion. Take for example the black metal classic Hordanes Land that saw up and coming black metal protégés Emperor ushering in the fantastic Enslaved. How about the legendary Napalm Death inviting Coalesce to do the chaotic grind/ metalcore E.P. In Tongues We Speak…? Here we have two fantastic examples of bands with similar tastes coming together to make mutual ideas meet half way. Anarchist, black metal stalwarts Panopticon meet at a crossroads with droney, post metalists Wheels within Wheels, both relatively new to the extreme metal realm and together, creating one of the finest E.P. splits ever to grace the metal genre.

This four song E.P. is ‘split’ right down the middle with Panopticon opening things up with a weird twist. One-man black metal band Panopticon leads in with an almost country folk tune; complete with mandolin tremolo picking that will most likely make most people sigh when they see the 10+ minute running time. Fortunately, the song changes up throughout, enough to keep the listener interested and offering a build-up to a ho-down swing as the final minutes of the song ring in. Panopticon’s second contribution to the E.P split wouldn’t sound out of place on his fantastic self-titled debut, combing his Leviathan like shrieks, Nattens Madrigal buzzsaw guitars, and the raw power of black metal legends Darkthrone. As “The Ghosts of Haymarket Square” fades out on a combination of bitter black metal and mournful post metal, this sets the tone for the last two tracks on the album, performed by Wheels within Wheels. Wheels within Wheels waste no time jumping on the noisy blast of bass booming post metal that will make your head vibrate with dissonant bliss. If “Begining” is a taste of things to come, then “White Light Rains Down On…” lets the listener know that these guys aren’t screwing around. The song title is exactly how to describe this epic gem. Starting out with a trudging climb up the Rosetta mountain, the song climaxes through a beautiful melodic passage of bass heavy precision that equates to pretty much everything a post metal fan could ever come to expect.

Before you know it, this E.P. split has come to an end and you must now hit play once again to fully embrace yourself in what these two bands are striving to achieve. Panopticon and Wheels within Wheels come together not only as a promotional tool for their artistic visions, but as a breathtaking view of what the underground American metal culture has to offer to these beloved sub-genres of metal (black metal and drone/post metal). The results are fantastic and any fan of the two sub-genres will be mighty impressed by this album (price and album packaging as well). Panopticon and Wheels within Wheels create a promotional album that shows off many strengths that will hopefully open them up to the metal masses, driving them further to make music like this for a long time to come.

The Austerity Program Beyond CalculationGodflesh Pure
Sun Worship Elder GiantsLord Mantis Death Mask
Horseback Piedmont ApocryphaCarcass Surgical Steel

19524 Comments

So this album is so fucking good, especially for someone like me who loves both black and post metal. If you have not hopped on the Panopticon train by now, please do or you will be branded as a pussy for listening to Cradle of Filth and calling it black metal hahaha. Wheels within Wheels also rules hard.

As per usual, please feel free to point my many errors and I will do my best to fix them. Thanks for reading people.

Digging: Godflesh - A World Lit Only By Fire

Saidir
April 7th 2009

When did you get this? I order this and the Lake Of Blood split about two and a half weeks ago. It may be because he's still packaging the LOB... Hmm.
Anyways, very good review. Hopped on the Panopticon train a while ago; the S/T was amazing, and he posted his new album on the Panopticon website for 24 hours during the Spring Equinox. It's something different... Something different indeed.
It comes out Summer Solstice/Equinox/Whatever.

April 7th 2009

Nice review. I'd download this now but I have a virus on my computer and I dont feel like fucking it up even more.

Digging: Mare Cognitum - Phobos Monolith

19524 Comments

I actually got this for $7.99 from theomegaorder.com. The packaging is well done and it was worth every penny. I love it when bands take the time to offer something more to the fans then just a dvd of the band playing in the studio.

Thanks for the compliments. I look forward to June 21st to order that album.

technically this should be under panopticon/wheels within wheels

also, splits are a rarity in metal? that's the first time i've heard that said

Willie
April 7th 2009

These split albums can either be for marketing purposes by a label/ band wanting to showcase it’s potential
Used "it's" wrong ;)

I don't know why but I really don't like splits. As a rule I won't buy them even if I like the bands. The few times I've been forced to buy a split I've seperated them on my itunes so they're just tiny EPs.

technically this should be under panopticon/wheels within wheels
Yes it should Chan and I was wondering if I should make a new band profile for this album?

also, splits are a rarity in metal? that's the first time i've heard that said
The way I see it, I can barely count the number of splits I've heard of on both hands. Are they more common than I think?

I don't think this would be something you would enjoy. However, everything I review is worth a listen (even the 1's). Thanks for the correction.

Willie

Of course they are!

April 7th 2009

they're not ridiculously recurrent, but i'd say that 'rarity' is the wrong word. i don't think you should really change the review though, because it's really easy to split hairs when blanket terms are used to describe metal, seeing as it is such a diverse and full genre.

and as for the band name, this is fine; i don't even know if you're the one who added it but yeah generally for splits a new page is created. this is fine though, because you reviewed the whole split and not just half of it. i hate when people do that. good review.

Of course they are!
I hope you were being sarcastic hahaha

Chan,
Sorry for putting the album under Panopticon hahaha. I thought it would be best considering people know who Panopticon are (is). As for reviewing half of a split album, I think there was a reviewer a while back who only reviewed Enslaved's part on Hordanes Land. Kind of disappointed me a bit seeing as the review was well written and he should have finished with Emperor's contribution. Thanks for the props dude.

Crimson

1935 Comments

not overly fond on splits so will be looking check out the bands already released material i guess - both sound good

good review

TricksterGRex

2087 Comments

Sounds intense, will get.

Athom
April 8th 2009

good review. sounds up my alley.

gaslightanthem

good review man

I fucking need this.

19524 Comments

Yes you do rasputin. Thanks guys for the nice gestures of kindness.

TricksterGRex

2087 Comments

This is pretty rad.

April 9th 2009

MA states a June 21st release of his second album. Listening to this now, so far so good.

April 9th 2009

yeah so the panopticon tracks are awesome, i didn't expect anything less. wheels within wheels is pretty cool, nothing amazing though. Probably looking at a 3.5.

Read Saidir's comment.

The fact that he does such a good job mashing up sub-genres and making it sound raw is why I love his music so much. I don't think post metal is your thing rasp.