Mansions
New Best Friends

good

by Adam Thomas STAFF
March 29th, 2009 | 13 replies | 7,604 views

Review Summary: Christopher Browder isn't the second coming of the Bemis or the next midwest wunderkind, but he's on the right path.

So what do you do if you are a broken hearted, semi-alcoholic twenty two year old with a "the world is out to get me" complex? Well, if you happen to be Christopher Browder, you pick up a guitar and start writing songs. The Loiusville, KY, native has been performing his brand of semi-acoustic pop punk under the Mansions moniker since 2007 and after a hand full of self-released EP's has finally released his label debut in the form of New Best Friends.

New Best Friends is surprisingly honest in its sound. Browder's rudimentary musicianship and to the point instrumentation of simple chords and octaves coupled by the occasional programmed drum beat make it possible for his words to take center stage. Browder is at his best when he wears his personality and wit on his sleeve. On "Talk, Talk, Talk" he strikes gold. The entire chorus is a hook filled to the brim with the same mix of bitternes and apathy that made Max Bemis a scene darling with ...Is A Real Boy. Through out New Best Friends Browder paints himself as a victim that is constantly wronged by all whom he meets. While this attitude works wonders for the album's more upbeat numbers like "Holidaze" and Browder's version of the obligatory "I met my heroes and they were pricks" song "The Hard Part", on the slower moments it creates the morose sound of a man drowning in his own pessimistic world view.

Its pretty clear after a listen to Mansions' Doghouse records debut New Best Friends that Christopher Browder wants to occupy the crowded middle ground between Conor Oberst's self deprecating depression and Max Bemis' semi humorous relationship angst. New Best Friends doesn't quite hit that mark, but Browder's work isn't in vain. While Christopher Browder isn't the second coming of the Bemis or the next midwest wunderkind, he's on the right path.

United Nations The Next Four YearsMatter Teraphim
The Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is ThereOwls Two
Taking Back Sunday Happiness IsGridLink Longhena

Kiran
March 29th 2009

The recommended albums makes me want to get this but the rating makes me hesitant. I'll probably just end up listening to the good songs on myspace. Good review too!

Digging: Spoon - They Want My Soul

marksellsuswallets
March 29th 2009

I think the summary is missing a "but" perhaps...

March 29th 2009

Half of the album is really good and the other half, while it isnt bad, can get a bit tedious.
edit: thanks brent.This Message Edited On 03.29.09

marksellsuswallets
March 29th 2009

No prob. This sounds like it would be equal to something like Bemis's earlier stuff like Baseball.

March 29th 2009

Kentucky isn't the midwest, is it?

March 29th 2009

no, i was just using that to refer to oberst. should i change it?

March 29th 2009

i dont know, if the midwest is known by most genre fans to harbor young talent, keep it. solid review.

Fugue
March 30th 2009

Good review, sounds interesting; might have to check this guy out on last fm or something.

March 30th 2009

also, i think it's "wunderkind" not "wunderkid"

fixed.

June 4th 2009

This is so much better than I thought it was.

JamieCTA
April 13th 2011

Still really enjoy this album.

ABjordanMM
July 27th 2013

"This is so much better than I thought it was."

Grew on you eh?