Om
Conference of the Birds

by Smell The Cheese USER (17 Reviews)
March 26th, 2009 | 56 replies

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Bass & Drums, not to be confused with Drum and Bass. But good.

Om is a weird band, formed out of one half of the rhythm section of another band called sleep all it is is a drummer and a bass player. Now, I don't know too many bands that have a setup like this, admittedly I may be ignorant to the world of music at times but I do try so I will allow this may not be "unique". However they are the only band I know who play bass and drums, and I was recommended the album Conference of The Birds by chance of a friend I know who is into underground music nobody has heard of. Anyway, Conference of The Birds is difficult for me because it is only two tracks, and very lengthy, progressive influenced stoner rock with a bit of post-rock thrown in for good measure. It's a tad psychadelic as well.

The first track is titled, "At Giza". Giza, according to internet website wikipedia is "is a town in Egypt on the west bank of the Nile river, some 20 km southwest of central Cairo and now part of the greater Cairo metropolis.". I can assume the feeling of this song is that it is supposed to put you "At Giza", make you feel the ancient egyptian vibe (even in modern times, you have to realise over their history much more ancient then over here and it really gives a sense of thrilling departure to think about how it wound up). Anyway, the core of the song is that the bass winds and twists and wraps around a simple drumbeat. There is a sort of breakdown where the drums stops and the bass plays solo halfway through, it's a thrilling moment as things slowly wind back up again. I'm not a fan of the singing, but the music itself is a windy, hypnotic affair and the bass playing is sensational.

"Flight of The Eagle" is the name of the 2nd track. Think of an eagle, up in the sky. Flapping it's winds, riding the thermal currents, the eagle soars as the overseer of it's own kingdom. There is nothing more graceful then an eagle, which is why I find it really strange that I get this intense feeling of being caught in a sandstorm when I listen to this music. It's a really interesting sensation, that they can paint textures like this from so little. But what has it got to do with the title? I don't know its a little strange. But once again, this song is windy, hypnotic affair just like "At Giza". And that is a good thing.

Om is a difficult album for me to review, it's easier to speak in terms of how the music makes you feel in textures and congruency. The instrument isn't particularly complex given the unique setup, and therefore not that worthwhile trying to pick apart sections here and sections there too much. The drumming is bland, most of the interesting stuff comes from the way the bass player wraps his craft around it (and damn is he technical).

Radiohead The King of LimbsArnold Schwarzenegger Total Body Workout
Iggy Pop Blah Blah BlahDarkthrone The Cult Is Alive
Pixies Surfer RosaKMFDM Naïve

marksellsuswallets
March 27th 2009

Om nom. Sounds interesting.

mmm

NortherlyNanook
March 27th 2009

Nice to see this get a review. I think I'd give this a 4 or a 4.5, though. I'm a big fan of bass, so that helps.

EDIT: I don't really think the drumming needed to be bashed so much, though, since more than what it is would probably seem a bit off.

This Message Edited On 03.27.09

rasputin
March 27th 2009

This album rules, I would rate it higher than you but good effort.

TheGreatD17
March 27th 2009

Was expecting a Dave Holland cover album.

Tyler
March 27th 2009

There either needs to be another comma in here or this needs to be split into two sentences.
Now, I don't know too many bands that have a setup like this

Fascinating

You should probably avoid calling yourself ignorant.
However they are the only band I know who play bass and drums

Worded poorly. You obviously know more bands with bassists and drummers, just not ones limited to bass and drums. Still, this is kind of irrelevant information.

More irrelevant information. Who cares?

Doesn't make sense. How is the album "difficult for you"? To review? To listen to? To absorb?
The first track is titled, "At Giza"

No comma.
Giza, according to internet website wikipedia is

If you're going to go in this direction (I wouldn't), make it "according to Wikipedia".

Doesn't make sense. Also, don't bother with the "I can assume" stuff. Just say "the song puts you At Giza". It doesn't make any sense the way you worded it.

huh?
Anyway, the core of

You don't need the 'Anyway'.

the bassist plays a soloThis Message Edited On 03.27.09

Tyler
March 27th 2009

"Flight of The Eagle" is the name of the 2nd track.

We know this. You already said the album had two tracks and you already talked about the first one. I'd avoid such an instructional tone.
Flapping it's winds

*Its wings?

What? This doesn't mean anything, get rid of it.

What does "being caught in a sandstorm" have to do with an eagle flapping its wings? Furthermore, what does any of that have to do with anything?
But what has it got to do with the title? I don't know its a little strange.

Okay.

Choppy writing.

Awkward sentence. Congruency doesn't feel like the right word here, either.
The instrument isn't particularly complex given the unique setup, and therefore not that worthwhile trying to pick apart in sections here and sections there too much.

Get rid of the bolded stuff and add the italicized part.

"Damn he is technical" is kind of oddly tossed in there. Say "the drumming is bland blablabla technical bass playing" or something else. Also, didn't you just say the instrumentation wasn't overly complex? This is almost a direct contradiction.

Review really was not good at all. I know this album isn't exactly exploding with character, and thus it's hard to write a lot about it, but you could trim about 80% out of this review and it would have the same impact on the reader. That's not a good thing, mind you. Very superfluously written.

rasputin

ripped

Athom

At Giza is immense.

karina
March 28th 2009

probably because you're an idiot

Metalstyles
March 28th 2009

um Coke is right on each and every one of them.

stevensonmat2
July 6th 2009

Would have given this a 5 if "Flight..." was as good as "At Giza".

jingledeath

September 23rd 2009

Sweet album.

FistfulOfSteel
October 22nd 2009

i like this as their best.

Wizard

October 1st 2010

hell yeaah

Bleekill
October 4th 2010

With this being one of my favorite albums ever, I think I'll get around to reviewing this eventually.

MO