Sean Fournier
Oh My

by Caleb McAlpine USER (109 Reviews)
March 25th, 2009 | 37 replies | 7,397 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: I love free music. And so will you.

I have no idea who Sean Fournier is, and statistically, you have no idea either. The Connecticut-born, self-taught, lyric-driven singer-songwriter has been carting his Free EP, Oh My with the tagline "This album is free: spread it like the plague," and never before have I been so motivated to spread the word about an artist. Oh My is overflowing with cheery melodies, winsome lyrics and bouncy progressions without becoming irritatingly sweet. The six songs included on this EP are a combination of reworked originals and newer compositions, and each track excels beautifully. Economically, Oh My will not cost you one cent, and it would be frighteningly idiotic of you not to download this record immediately. Allow me to convince you...

To put Sean Fournier into a genre (or subgenre) is certainly no challenging task -- with sugary melodies and jaunty chord patterns, Fournier's voice dips and dives out of playful lyrics that do not hesitate to remind you of industry giants Matt Costa and Jack Johnson. However familiar the music may sound, even through the occasional digital altering of Fournier's voice, Oh My feels more organic and honest than even the sincerest of Johnson's tunes. With songs like the comfortably poppy Broken Stereo, or the equally engaging love-balled of Another Like You, uncommon instrumentation bleed over sportive piano progressions and almost-bluesy acoustic guitars. Through the eclectic use of bizarre loops, the occasional electronic drum, and often, what sounds like a clavichord, Fournier constructs a facetious musical catalog that keeps the listener engaged with it's unpredictable mannerisms.

The musical experimentation on Oh My is most obviously characterized by the record's two strongest tracks, Goodbye and Holding the Hand of the Hurricane, which scroll through intoxicating melodies and galvanized electronic drums. Through a surprisingly un-annoying use of the infamous Auto-Tune, both songs manage to communicate originality and lyrical ingenuity while effectively employing foreign percussion and harmonies. The latter of these two songs presents a very exotic sounding backdrop, partnering Fournier's smooth tenor voice with flutes, bongos and nonnative background vocals, creating one of those most creative and enchanting songs in music today.

In a more familiar fashion, Fournier functions just as well in indie-pop, such as the opener Broken Stereo, which originally appeared late in his sophomore release Paper Tiger. With kittenish lyrics (If your life was a broken stereo, well, I'd be music to your ears) and casual vocals, it is songs like this that are obnoxious and harrowing to a saddened soul, but the absolute perfect song for somebody in a light mood -- and there lies the essence of Oh My: it's bouncy, it's playful, it's cheerful and if that's not your cup of coffee, than you shouldn't be having caffeine anyways. Besides, the combination of caffeine and Sean Fournier results in a dangerous amount of giddiness, and it probably shouldn't be attempted in the first place.

In conclusion, there isn't a fault on this record (okay, maybe the occasional AutoTune is irking), and as long as it's costing you nothing at all, there is absolutely no reason why it shouldn't be nestling up in your cozy hard drive. I promise, you won't be disappointed -- or your money back. Get it? I know. Hilarious.

But seriously, check it out. Link in the first comment.

Anberlin LowbornThe Oh Hellos Through The Deep, Dark Valley
Dan Mangan Oh FortuneThe Decemberists Long Live the King
The Reign Of Kindo Rhythm, Chord & MelodyAntoine Dufour Convergences
3.3

March 25th 2009

Sean Fournier's excellent EP "Oh My" is free!

To download and/or stream free album: http://www.sean-fournier.com/ohmy/

PuddleSwimmer
March 25th 2009

Checked this out, it's pretty cool. I like Holding the Hand of A Hurricane

March 26th 2009

Yeah, it's pretty sick for being free and all. Hell, I'd pay for it.

irishmanshibby
March 26th 2009

I go to the same college this guy graduated from and he plays free concerts there every once in a while. He's a pretty chill guy, I'll probably check this out

March 26th 2009

That's great! Definitely check it out.

July 30th 2009

Great album, rating may rise with time

July 30th 2009

Good to see. Exposure! Exposure!

THIS ALBUM IS FREE.

July 30th 2009

Oh Caleb you should check out Carus. I think you might dig him a lot!

July 30th 2009

well the review has convinced me, im dl'ing

July 30th 2009

Awesome. Let me know what you think + rating.

July 30th 2009

sounds pretty solid upon first listen for an EP, i like most of the beats

goodbye is my fav

July 30th 2009

Yeah, it's pretty stellar. He's working on a new album, I hear. If this is any indicator, it will rule.

Download link is in the first post. I encourage more people to listen to this! I'm so stoked to see more ratings popping up here!

Dougie, I'll take you up on the Carus rec.

PuddlesPuddles
July 30th 2009

This was our first encounter was it not? A legendary thread.
Album's still very cool

July 30th 2009

Oh yes, we are witnessing Waior and Puddles history right now. I also like how most people didn't really care about this initially, but now that I am "slightly reputable", there's a bit of interest.

Either way, thanks for the ratings, people.

PuddlesPuddles
July 30th 2009

Name of the game, my friend. And you are a a most valuable player

Knott-
July 30th 2009

Nothing wrong with this but I definitely don't think it's as good as you gays are saying. I'll probably end up rating it 3 at best... his lyrics irritate me, they're so generically cheesy

July 31st 2009

I found that too, Adam. Take note that these are remakes of is earlier work, with the exception of the song 'Holding the Hand of the Hurricane', which ironically has quite good lyrics. He also has a nice single on iTunes called 'What I Must Do' that is more than lyrically sound as well which indicates his maturation as a lyricist.

July 31st 2009

heh i found the lyrics a bit cheesy too, but overall it sounds superrr
super duperrr

August 10th 2009

Album came into the mail today. Best $2 postage spent

August 10th 2009

Pretty packaging? He does the graphic design himself, I reckon.