Therapy?
Crooked Timber

by FNYANKEZ USER (5 Reviews)
March 23rd, 2009 | 13 replies | 8,490 views

Review Summary: Thick punishing grooves highlight the latest Therapy? offering. Definite improvement over the bands previous, "One Cure Fits All"

After a two year hiatus, the boys in Therapy? have re-emerged with Crooked Timber.

Crooked Timber is typical Therapy? in other words, it's different than the preceding albums, yet still retains a signature sound. But beware, this is not Troublegum2...and that's a good thing.

This album is much more akin to Therapy? more recent works "Never Apologise, Never Explain" and " One Cure Fits All" yet....is very different, just as those two were different from each other.

Whereas "One Cure Fits All" was all guitar hooks and big (often over-repetitive)choruses, and "Never Apologise Never Explain" was loaded with noise-alt and punk influences, Crooked Timber focuses more on the rhythm, laying out some of the heaviest grooves since the band's indie heyday. Just check out the track "Clowns Galore". After a harmonic filled 35 second opening, it busts into a groove Kyuss would be proud of.

Unlike "One Cure Fits All", the production and mix of "Crooked Timber" really helps drive the music along. It is simple akin to "Never Apologise Never Explain", but much clearer, and the music thumps where it's supposed to. The drums and bass are particularly accented on the album..and rightfully so. The dominating presence of the rhythm tandem of Michael McKeegan's bass and Neil Cooper's drums really are clearly the highlights of the album. Both members putting forth some of their best work ever.

On "Crooked Timber" Andy Cairns relegates his guitar to more of a supporting role, while at the same time, laying out some of his best vocal work in years. Gone are the Tom Waits impersonations or gutteral growls a little to frequent since "Suicide Pact...You First". This is his best vocal work since Semi-Detatched.

The album only has three missteps, none of which are fatal. The opener "The Head that Tried to Strangle Itself" is a bit of a weak opener, especially when compared to the five tracks that immediately follow it "Enjoy the Struggle"; "Clowns Galore"; "Exiles"; "Crooked Timber"; and "I Told You I was Ill". This quintet is one of the strongest consecutive runs of material on any Therapy? record. The second misstep is the 10-minute instrumental "Magic Mountain". More shocking than the appearance of a 10-minute instrumental on a Therapy? record, is the fact that it contains definite hints of classic "Cure" in it's melodies. Not a bad track, but would have been better used as a b-side.

The last misstep is the closer "Bad Excuse for Daylight"...again like the opener not a bad track, but just not a great choice to close. It's a bit too sluggish, and lingers a bit too long. These missteps are fairly minor, and by no means ruin "Crooked Timber" as a listening experience.

In all, Crooked Timber is another quality output from Therapy?, who continues to keep things fresh after 12 albums.

4/5

Greg Fisher STAFF (4.5)
An amazing record filled with songs that define quality experimental rock music nowadays. It is dark...

March 23rd 2009

this has made me even more excited for this album! i was gutted when hmv didn't have it in stock today

i've heard it's similar in feel to "suicide pact - you first," which bodes well, as that's one of their best i reckon.

nice to see some T?-love on sputnik! with this and a new wildhearts album coming this year, it's gonna be a good year for UK rock!

March 24th 2009

by the way, this is a pretty good review, but you might want to reformat it a bit. get rid of all the line breaks and separate that first paragraph a bit. otherwise it's sound!

greg84
March 24th 2009

Out of their previous releases, this one reminds me of Nurse the most. It's quite groove-oriented record with numerous experimentations along the way. It's safe to say that they created a new sound here, just as it has taken place on Suicide Pact, You First. Exile and Crooked Timber are the biggest surprises here as they literally don't sound like any of their previous work.

While I agree with you that Magic Mountain is quite underwhelming, I think the opening track and the final track are among the best on the album due to some superb ingenious experimentations. Especially, Bad Excuse for Daylight is spectacular. Along with Enjoy the Struggle and Clowns Galore, it's my favorite.This Message Edited On 03.24.09

Digging: 68 - In Humor and Sadness

AliW1993
March 24th 2009

I've never heard any of their stuff but I'm definitely gonna listen to this.

xequalscore
March 24th 2009

I didn't even know these guys were still a band. There old stuff was pretty decent. Troublegum and whatever that one with the eye on it was.

Altmer
March 24th 2009

How did I know Jom would post in this thread.

Jom
March 24th 2009

I'm just surprised I beat superpeer to it.

Altmer
March 24th 2009

That was the other likely candidate yeah.

Iluvatar
March 26th 2009

This is amazing.

greg84
March 26th 2009

Yep. It definitely is.

April 6th 2009

my copy arrived this morning, and so far, i'm fucking loving it! there's obviously some tracks that are better than others, but none i'd really call weak. and i like the almost post-rock influences in Magic Mountain.

they've done a video for the title track too, which is easily the coolest looking vid they've made yet:

AliW1993
April 6th 2009

It's decent, I'll give it a few more listens before rating.

robin
April 6th 2009

the title track is easily one of their best songs, though i still love church of noise above all. great album.