The Number Twelve Looks Like You
Worse Than Alone

by Ryan Flatley EMERITUS
March 17th, 2009 | 493 replies | 30,769 views

Review Summary: Worse Than Alone is an album best left for those with short-term memory

For the past seven years or so, The Number Twelve Looks You accomplished more than most bands, especially in such a relatively short time-span. They went from what was a chaotic grindcore band with terribly produced vocals to something much more refined, contained, and meaningful. Way back when, songs shorter than three minutes were the majority but it has become anything but with their latest, Worse That Alone. But perhaps the shorter, more frantic style worked best for such a musical-segment orientated band; it appears Worse Than Alone has the answer.

Within the discombobulated cortex of Worse Than Alone lies this inner-beast of solidarity. No longer will you find such an eccentric songs as “Clarissa Explains Cuntainment” or “Like A Cat” but sturdy, hearty works like “The League of Endangered Oddities.” The maturity of guitar riffs and lack of ‘blast the listeners face off with technicality’ shows this band is there musically. After all, The Number Twelve Looks Like You are not trying to instill standard song structure, but rather a ‘work-in-progress’ song. “Marvin's Jungle” starts out off-balance, but it all comes together as it slowly turns into this almost heartfelt, harmony-induced ending with a particularly odd, yet refreshing metal/pop-punk style. Elsewhere, the military chant of “If They Holler, Don't Let Go” changes into a display of Alexis Pareja’s crafty guitar work.

Hailing from New Jersey like The Number Twelve Looks Like You, I can appreciate their Jersey-based track, “The Garden’s All Nighters.” They slip in references like, ‘Quick Chek coffee is cooling down, we’re sweeping along the shoreline on some journey I can’t repeat,’ a track that strangely enough is highlighted by a style of Latin dance that would hardly be Jersey-like. Meanwhile, clocking in at nine plus minutes, “I'll Make My Own Hours” appears anything but. A frantic and disheveled overcoat soon slows down to become a well paced song with perfect guitar hooks and an utterly serene bridge. It is definitely their strongest closing track since “Civeta Dei.”

“Worse Than Alone” is best left for the short-term memory folks. There is clearly a lack of a long-term focus within their mold. As for the original statement, song lengths have become almost irrelevant with The Number Twelve Looks Like You due to the successes and disappointments at both ends of the spectrum. “Worse Than Alone” continues to slowly break boundaries, but there comes a time where the songs need a support system, or rather a collection of songs complimenting one another. Until then, they will merely continue writing songs that fit, but hardly fit the grand scheme of it all.

Glassjaw Coloring BookNo Age Everything In Between
United Nations Nevermind the Bombings, Here's Your Six FiguresFar At Night We Live
Nas & Damian Marley Distant RelativesLCD Soundsystem This Is Happening
Plutonio (3)
Worse Than Alone is a marriage between transethnic music and intensity, yet boredom is the spawn....

Tyler (4.5)
Worse Than Alone proves to be The Number Twelve Looks Like You's most cohesive, experimental, and po...

Comatorium. (5)
The Number Twelve have reached the epitome of their craft, and this album is accessible, technical, ...

Brent Stephenson (4)
The New Jersey quintet has crafted their most mature, refined, and experimental release to date with...

Iluvatar

gaslightanthem
March 17th 2009

this is a cool review, still haven't bothered listening to this

I bought this album like 5 days ago and still havent opened up theplastic.

all because of hot topic girls

Iluvatar
March 17th 2009

yeah man bitches are fuckin crazy

Zippermouth
March 17th 2009

Am I the only one wondering how the number twelve can look like someone?

gasmaskman

marksellsuswallets
March 17th 2009

Simple answer is yes, you are.

elephantREVOLUTION
March 17th 2009

good review. i still need to decide on a rating. i keep flip-flopping between a 4 and 4.5

Tits McGee
March 17th 2009

Great review. I don't feel like listening to this at all though.

Skyler

I bought this album like 5 days ago and still havent opened up theplastic.

yeah, this has been sitting unlistened to on my harddrive for like a week.

Undead
March 17th 2009

The review was short and to the point. Very nice.
As for the album, I won't even buy it since I can't get into their other albums either.

March 17th 2009

this is hardly anything like their first two albums, more like Mongrel

hismajestythepope
March 17th 2009

As soon as I read they weren't trying to be like ,"omg we're so tech," I changed my mind about not downloading this album.

Checking it out now.

Undead
March 17th 2009

I lied I actually like Mongrel.

Bsmith7
March 17th 2009

I love you for this review.

jrowa001
March 17th 2009

album is a nice surprise, ill have to give Mongrel a listen again. i dont like their first two albums at all and Mongrel was ok but its been a while

combustion07
March 18th 2009

I've always loved this band but for some reason I'm not interested in this album at all.

natey

The ending of “The Garden’s All Nighters” rules

Phantom
March 18th 2009

The first time I heard/saw this band's name was all it took for me to know that I didn't need to hear them.This Message Edited On 03.18.09

I'LL NEVER TURN AROUND ON THE PLACE WHERE I WAS BORN

I've always hated their band name.