Electric Leaves
Apple

by Max Paradise USER (18 Reviews)
March 16th, 2009 | 2 replies | 1,455 views

Review Summary: Although scattered, the debut album by Electric Leaves flows suprisingly well, and truly draws the listener in.

Electric Leaves, an unsigned one-man band, consisting of Lukedavid Wiget. And at first, popping in this album, that is exactly what you would think it is--One man with an acoustic guitar, singing in a style reminiscent of Bright Eyes. But as the album goes on, it begins to blossom. Bringing in keyboards, bass, electric guitar and drums, Lukedavid skillfully creates atmospheres that walk the thin line between beauty and noise.
After the opening track of the album, I Got What You Wished For (Part I), Wiget ditches the Bright Eyes style and goes into a full-on indie-rock atmospheric wash. Some songs, such as Not a Linedrawing or I Got What You Wished For (Part II) are your average indie pop, a la Animal Collective's latest album, but with an enjoyable twist in the vocals and unique style. Other songs, such as Saxifrage and Everywhere Is Electric are simple sound collages, which feel like they should get in the way, but truly improve the album's flow.
Electric Leaves is a downtempo ballad that would feel right at home on Kid A, while Black Expanse is a massive emotional rocker, with slight post-rock leanings.
All in all, despite Apple's lack of focus, jumping between any number of styles throughout the record, Electric Leaves have created a well-composed, perfectly flowing, creative, and atmospherically entrancing debut album, certainly worthy of a few listens, at the very least. And if you're lucky, you just might get hooked.

Lukedavid has posted most of the album for free download at http://www.last.fm/music/Electric+Leaves/Apple although Saxifrage is incorrectly uploaded as a duplicate of The City Lulled To Sleep. For a full download, one can purchase the entire album for $8 at http://www.last.fm/music/Electric+Leaves/Apple

DIR EN GREY DUM SPIRO SPEROGiles Corey Giles Corey
Aethere Wave ExistenceSkrillex Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites
Drop Dead, Gorgeous Worse Than A Fairy TaleThursday A City By the Light Divided

LiquidVelvet
March 16th 2009

This review was WAY too short, but I honestly could not figure out anything less to say.
Sorry.

timbo8
March 17th 2009

yea I agree that it's too short, but I'm sure if you spent more time on it and went into more detail on things like the sound, lyrics and emotions, you could make this a reasonable length. Nevertheless, I think I'll look into this guy.