Yeah Yeah Yeahs
It's Blitz!

by Nick Butler EMERITUS
March 16th, 2009 | 44 replies

Review Summary: Synths, melodies, real depth - this is not your little brother's Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

As people in their teens are wont to do, I took every opportunity presented to me in the period between 2001 and 2004 to mouth off to whoever would listen about how all the bands who were vogue at the time would have disappeared in 5 years. The Strokes, The White Stripes, The Vines, The Hives, Kings of Leon, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Jet, The Libertines, The Von Bondies - all of them felled in one swoop by the contempt of a 16-year old with a big mouth who didn't yet know that 90% of bands don't last 5 years anyway.

Well, the 5 years are up, and I was mostly right. There are swarms of other bands who sounded like that, and I can't remember enough about any of them to name them. Jet and The Vines disappeared quietly off into the night; The Hives were last seen duetting with Cyndi Lauper and Timbaland and still not really getting anywhere either critically or commercially; The Strokes are still a going concern but have seen their stock drop rapidly since Is This It? and most expect their next record to be a damp squib; The Libertines broke up and more and more people have been figuring out the scam ever since; The Von Bondies are still only notable for getting beat up by Jack White. Speaking of, The White Stripes have kept going and are now such an institution that Mr. White has done a Bond theme, but in reality you always suspected that they would be the ones who would age well.

Which leaves us with Kings of Leon and Yeah Yeah Yeahs. The former have absolutely shocked me in the way they've gone from being a clattering, mostly worthless bunch of chancers to suddenly deserving to be considered one of the world's best and biggest bands, and I'm absolutely glad to hold my hands up and say I was wrong. The album where they turned the corner was their third, 2007's Because of the Times, and just about the best thing you could say about It's Blitz! is that it's got an awful lot in common with that record.

Crucially, Yeah Yeah Yeahs have discovered melody, and a sense of tension and release - both things often missing from their earlier work. That's where they most clearly emulate the gigantic leap forward that Kings of Leon made - a song like the gorgeous "Hysteric" could simply never have existed on the previous two records, its payoff line of 'suddenly you complete me' laying waste to the legacy of their previous high watermark, "Maps", in just four words (not that "Maps" had many more words that that in it). The same development is demonstrated in every ballad here; even if none of them quite reach the heights of "Hysteric" ("Runaway" comes closest), they're all obviously the work of a band who've gone away, taken stock of their strengths and weaknesses, really thought about how to move forward, and then gone and done it. As such, the two most prominent of those strengths are both out in full force throughout, with Karen O's knack for a slightly weird yet oddly affecting lyric repeatedly exploited and Nick Zinner's gift for getting a massive amount of impact from a tiny amount of input feeding into everything. In fact, it's hard to remember the last time a guitarist (in a predominantly guitar-based band, no less) made such a difference to a record while taking such a back-seat; Portishead's Dummy is as near as I can come after a brief brainstorm. First-time listeners with strict expectations might not even notice Zinner is there at all on quite a few of these tracks, and dismiss this as a synth-tastic Karen O solo album - yet pay more attention and his subtle touches shine through in a way they never have before. Now that he's not carrying all the melodic and rhythmic weight on his own shoulders, as he has done on their two earlier albums, he's free to do things like this. It's Blitz is by no means a great guitar album in the traditional sense, but he sounds as free and inspired as ever here, despite the constant domination of synthesizers.

It's the synths, however, that hold this album back, in a more general sense. For one thing, the influences brought in here are all drawn from dance music, particularly that of the 80s, and the indie-rock-band-discovers-80s-synth-pop path is so well trodden by this point that we're all just waiting for the next trend to happen and in 2009 it's hard to get excited about anything that seems so tied to a mid-00's ideal. Yet, again, it's the comparison to their peers that really throws up why this is a problem and where the Yeah Yeah Yeahs haven't quite succeeded to the degree they might have - because while the use of synths here is fine and isn't as completely homogeneous with nu-rave as skeptics might expect (in fact, it sails as near to recent Bloc Party as anything), there are ideologies at play. Bands like Kings of Leon and The Killers have become so huge because the artist's they're aiming at are the likes of U2, Bruce Springsteen, Simple Minds - big-hearted rock bands who scored a mass audience by acknowledging and embracing their emotions. The artists that the YYYs sail closer to were similarly inclusive, but they rejected and ignored those emotions and just sang about dancing instead. There's nothing wrong with that in the right context, of course, and this ballad-heavy album is certainly not vapid in any way, but by placing themselves in that sort of lineage they've harmed their own cause. Were the music here closer to Depeche Mode and Pet Shop Boys we wouldn't even be discussing it, but one song here in particular sounds a little too much like Tiffany on first listen.

That's just the reason why they've made a great album and not a classic, though. It's Blitz will probably date badly and, despite clearly being better than Fever To Tell, it probably won't be remembered by as many people, or as fondly by those people. Regardless, it IS a great album, and one that's come completely out of leftfield as far as its style and its depth goes. Given that it doesn't really court any one demographic specifically It'll be interesting to see who exactly embraces this album, but whoever does, plenty will. In a world that has somehow managed to dictate that anything with any substance at all can't possibly be 'pop', it deserves no less.

Scott Walker Bish BoschEmilie Autumn Fight Like A Girl
Susanne Sundfor The Silicone VeilPepe Deluxe Queen of the Wave
Jonathan Kroening (3.5)
Diametrically polished and sincere....

Dylan S. (4)
This was intended to be published in my high schools newspaper, so pardon the cheesyness....

RandyfromPennywise (4)
The third full-length release from one of New York’s finest is their most ambitious, expansive, an...

Curse.
March 16th 2009

Very ncely done Nick, I plan on checking this out beause I generally like Karen O's voice. Show Your Bones was pretty good though.

Digging: Beach Slang - Cheap Thrills On A Dead End Street

March 16th 2009

this also isn't a good yeah yeah yeahs tbh

although i do like this system of you picking up my indie pop dibs because i'm too lazy to review them.This Message Edited On 03.16.09

Digging: Flying Lotus - You're Dead!

Mikesn
March 16th 2009

As people in their teens are wont to do
Not sure what you're trying to say here?

I was never really into Yeah Yeah Yeahs, but I kind of like this. Needs more listens.

Digging: Grimes - Visions

gaslightanthem
March 16th 2009

always half-enjoyed this band so still need to check this out

robin
March 16th 2009

need to get this, is is is my personal favourite of their discog though so i dunno what to think based on "zero".

AliW1993
March 16th 2009

listened to a bit of this yesterday and it sounded ok. zero sounds like a grower.

March 16th 2009

zero's cool enough then it all seems to go downhill. Heads Will Roll is hilariously awful

March 16th 2009

Not sure what you're trying to say here?

March 16th 2009

Also Zero is about the fifth best song here.

jeremologyy
March 16th 2009

This album is amazing in my opinion.
Best tracks from best to worst:

Skeletons, Dull Life, Hysteric, Soft Shock, Dragon Queen, Zero, Runaway, Little Shadow, Heads Will Roll, Shame and Fortune.

None are bad, but thats definitely my order. "Skeletons" is the most beautiful thing, and "Hysteric" is just blissful release.

March 16th 2009

Dragon Queen is my least favourite.

AggravatedYeti
March 16th 2009

*presses play* we'll see -- we'll see.

StreetlightRock
March 16th 2009

wtf Nick stop making me listen to music my ipod is full you sonofabitc

Digging: The Flaming Lips - With A Little Help From My Fwends

natey

definitely feeling differently

h5 natey

vanillawafers
March 16th 2009

I love this band and I am a big fan.
I thought this album was great. It kept their original tune.
It sounds like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, but with a little burst of something new. I don't know, I just really liked this album.

Especially Skeletons and Runaway.

RandyfromPennywise
March 17th 2009

Nice review mate, agree with 'most everything you said.

HailToTheThief
March 17th 2009

the strokes don't make an album that isn't a mainstream successes and it's considered a flop.

it's funny how the public builds up their exceptions for and band so incredibly high. we're the ones who create hype. it's dumb to write someone off as soon as they don't meet our expectations. I'm still not sure what people expect from the strokes. another is this it? who wants that? the same thing applies to the white stripes. even tho I personally don't enjoy their music anymore, you had to expect the two of them could only do so much.

All I'm saying is sometimes we put too much riding on one band....and that the strokes might get too much grief

btw, the last vines album was solid.

March 18th 2009

The Strokes have actually released three albums, and the last Vines album sold about 6 copies. Also, I complimented The White Stripes, so not sure why you've picked up on that.

natey