Coalesce
0:12 Revolution in Just Listening

by Adam Thomas STAFF
March 10th, 2009 | 48 replies | 16,046 views

Release Date: 1999 | Tracklist

Review Summary: This will kick your ass.

1999 was a defining year for Metalcore. The Dillinger Escape Plan were pushing its technical limits with Calculating Infinity, Poison the Well were delving in to the melodic side of things with The Opposite of December, and Botch pretty much laid out the template for the next decade of the genre with their magnum opus We Are the Romans. That same year, Kansas City's Coalesce released their swansong, 0:12 Revolution In Just Listening on Relapse Records.

0:12 Revolution In Just Listening is the most cripplingly heavy 23 minutes ever graced with the “core” tag. Throughout the decade after its release, 0:12 spawned legions of imitators in bands like A Life Once Lost, Every Time I Die, and the Red Chord, neither one able to capture the schizophrenic mixture of ass-whooping brutality and eye popping technicality as the original. As soon as you press play, the album's opener “What Happens on the Road Always Comes Home” hits you like a ton of bricks. It's jagged, blisteringly fast fretboard runs cave in to an unrelenting, head banging inducing, monster of a groove. On top of it, Sean Ingram steals the show as he rips his vocal chords to shreds in the performance of a lifetime. An audio sample of children bridges “What Happens on the Road...” to “Cowards.com” as it continues the aural assault with its crushing mash up of Meshuggah style chug and jumpy Deadguy-esque tech.

As 0:12 progresses, so does the music. “While The Jackass Operation Spins It's Wheels” infuses a healthy dose of quick fire guitar runs that would feel at home on the Dillinger Escape Plan's Calculating Infinity into the Coalesce formula, creating a beautiful blend of forceful dissonance and precise skill. “Jesus in the Year 2000/Next on the Shit List” opens up with a smörgåsbord of audio samples that lull you in right before the full force of everything that is Coalesce is unleashed on your poor little eardrums. With James Dewee's skillful drumming acting as an anchor to the sledgehammer riffing and Sean Ingram's skin-shredding vocal performance, “Jesus in the Year 2000”, like 0:12 itself, is a Metalcore classic.

Coalesce's 0:12 Revolution in Just Listening is the definition of intense. It's furious blend of bludgeoning groove and scalpel-like precision makes it a landmark album not only for the genre of Metalcore, but for heavy music in general.

United Nations The Next Four YearsMatter Teraphim
The Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is ThereOwls Two
Taking Back Sunday Happiness IsGridLink Longhena

gaslightanthem
March 10th 2009

coalesce kick some serious ass, good review mang

March 10th 2009

thanks. more people need to hear this.

Relinquished
March 10th 2009

This album jumpstarted my mind when I first heard it. I can't wait 'til they release Ox. Good review, dude.

March 10th 2009

sick band, all their albums are quality

DBlitz
March 10th 2009

yea this is probably their best

Wizard

19304 Comments

YES. Excellent review and one of the best metalcore albums ever. They make Converge look like pussies hahaha.

Go and get the Relapse Records re-release of this classic album. Worth the money!

Digging: Downer - Downer

i've been meaning to get the LP for like 8 months now ugh

xequalscore
March 10th 2009

Good review. Namedropping Deadguy is always good. I prefer Functioning on Impatience though.This Message Edited On 03.11.09

March 12th 2009

Functioning is excellent as well, "A Disgust for Details" is massive.

Wizard
March 14th 2009

19304 Comments

Just listening to this today and realizing its awesomeness again.

April 6th 2009

excited as hell for Ox

Cavenaghi
May 30th 2009

fucking awesome album, still going hard.

January 7th 2010

Wow, I picked this up today and I'm literally blown away. Now I understand why a few people on this site are constantly telling me I need to listen to this. I've only listened to a couple songs on youtube before today and the quality always kinda sucked... wish I would have gotten an actual album sooner.

Anyways, this review's awesome man (speaking of which, who neg'd this?) -- your rhetoric's super descriptive and not in a masturbatory way; it actually describes the record perfectly. This might have just rocketed into my top 10 of metalcore after one listen.

Digging: YOB - Clearing The Path To Ascend

SteelErectedb4you8er
January 8th 2010

Inveigh, yeah, this album is excellent. I remember picking this up on a whim a long time ago. I just thought the album title was awesome and when I heard the first song, I was in love. Coalesce is so awesome, and it feels good to have them back again.

January 8th 2010

Yeah man as soon as that first song came on I was hooked. The main riff won't get out of my head -- I need to pick up Ox STAT.

JAV
March 13th 2010

1923 Comments

Definitely up to the standards I expect from them. Does so much in just 23 minutes.

Insurrection
March 13th 2010

20749 Comments

I really should check this out.

Digging: Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails

Edwin
April 23rd 2010

Horrah, my rating lifted this up a tenth. My work here is done. Killer album.

April 23rd 2010

hell yea it is. I knew from the first song that I would fall in love with this.

JAV

1923 Comments

It's so damned easy to be you, it's so easy to be a coward with no name.