Metallica
Load

by USER (3 Reviews)
July 27th, 2005 | 52 replies | 6,387 views

Release Date: 1996 | Tracklist

In 1996, 5 years after the release of the famous “Black Album” Metallica released their 6th L.P “Load”. The sound of Load was very different to their previous effort, and earlier work. It contained more of a hard rock sound, but still had the attitude of the metal records (mainly due to arguably some of James best vocal work). With the release of this record Metallica alienated more of their fan base and received accusations of ‘selling out’.

The band at the time:

James Hetfield - Guitars/Vocals/Prime songwriter.

Kirk Hammett - Lead Guitars

Jason Newstead - Bass Guitar

Lars Ulrich - Drums (also credited for a lot of the songs, but I think that’s due to arrangement rather than lyrics?).

Producer - Bob Rock

The songs:

Ain’t My Bitch - A straight forward hard rocker. For fans hoping for another metal Metallica record, this would probably be a scary opener. Thick guitars and snarling vocals dominate this song. Some nice guitar work, with Lars pounding behind through out with lots of cymbal work. Follows a simple rock structured formula “intro/verse/chorus/verse… etc”. Interesting slide solo from Kirk though, which is completely new to the Metallica sound. Big ending with everything getting louder and harder. Fairly average opener really. 3.5/5

2 X 4 - Decent drum intro from Lars followed by a riff that will defiantly get you nodding you’re head. Carries on for a little bit with some wah wah guitar behind it, until James comes in with some strong vocals. Although there is this section with some really strange sounding vocals which happens all to often and gets annoying. Probably the best part of the song is Kirks solo. Near the end the opening riff that was pretty good is becoming slightly tiresome. Another hard rock song really. 3/5

The House Jack Built - A slow guitar riff brings this song in with some random cymbal work from Lars that continues under James vocals. Everything kind of changes and this song becomes a slow chugger which isn’t really anything special, but not poor. Nothing much to comment on though! However it does have another strange sounding solo. Fair effort. 3/5

Until It Sleeps - Amazing, unique and brilliantly dark. The best ways to describe this song. Although it follows a standard rock formula, it is one of the best, maybe, THE, best song of the album. It starts off with a deep, brooding bass line with a nice drum beat which is then followed by James excellent vocals and great lyrics, which are possibly about cancer. After his short lines of vocals, a chilling guitar part plays which adds great effect. The verses all follow that similar pattern. The choruses are heavier (not like metal, still hard rock really) with amazing vocals from James sprouting lines such as, ”so tear thee open/make you gone/no longer will you hurt anyone!”. The solo section is quiet and dark, with a good solo from Kirk, with the vocals slowing coming in building up saying “don’t want it” over and over. The final chorus is a huge blast of energy, and very powerful (notably due to the singing) until it dies down into the outro which is near enough the same as the verses. 5/5

King Nothing - From what I know, a lot of people have mixed feelings towards this song, but everyone always agrees on the great bass intro. Which slightly changes later on and becomes the songs lead riff. Some angry vocals and a great solo are probably the better parts of the song (along with the bass intro of course!) An average song through out though, similar to previous tracks (ain’t my bitch, the house -- 3/5.

Hero Of The Day - A fairly quiet song through out (has a ballady kind of feel to it), and begins with a clean riff that is played through the verses backed by the bass and drums. Chorus become slightly louder and some distortion is replaced on the guitars. Then strangely a heavier section follows the second chorus with a interesting, but great vocal effect. A simple guitar solo follows that, and goes into one more chorus before finishing on another heavy section which is longer than the first. Credit to Mr. Ulrich for the heavy drumming! 5/5

Bleeding Me - A great track. A strange guitar effect in the verse kind of sections (still sounds good though) with James singing “I’m digging my way/digging my way to something/digging my way to something better”. A slightly heavier interlude section follows with some great lead guitar work on top. Chorus is great, which has some guitar lead guitar work again (regular solo, followed by a clean, slide guitar). Lars brings it back into another heavy chorus. Has an epic feel to it, seems likes something off the black album. After that chorus everything strips down to a rhythm guitar playing a great riff alone. Everything comes back into this new section, with some angry vocals, that ultimately leads back into another chorus. Another guitar solo comes after that, but it has a wah effect on. Its longer than the ones before it, and impressive! Guitar solo leads to a final verse which shares the outro. Some softer vocals from James ends the track. Fans of older Metallica will probably like this song. 5/5

Cure - Starts with a straight forward drum beat that is later joined by a short but effect riff played around it. James then enters with a deep, spoken line which continues as like a bass line to his regular vocals, which are singing the same lines on top. Builds up into a kind of heavier chorus. Second verse everything is pretty similar but there is a simple, but again effective bass line that plays beneath everything. Second chorus is longer and has some good lead guitar work. Lyrics aren’t too great in this song, “everyone got to have the sickness/cause everyone seems to need the cure”. Then there’s a solo, and its good stuff. Fairly short though. After another chorus everything drops down to just the bass and drums, and what’s this?! Kind of sounds like slap bass. Don’t get to excited it’s not that great, but it works in this song. Everything builds up to a final chorus. Better than some of the hard rock songs on this album, so--3.5/5

Poor Twisted Me - A distance kind of guitar riff starts this song off that slowly builds up until the drums come in and everything is louder. This song kind of slowly drags itself along, its nothing very exciting, so there’s nothing major to note on. I like the bass work from Jason in the verses though, the slides sound good. James has some lightly distorted vocals. Lars gives it his best, sounds good. A fairly average song. 3/5

Wasting My Hate - I think what makes this song seems better is (if you’re listening to the album through out anyway) its a lot more lively than P/T/M. Heavier and the first original Metallica material to not contain a solo. Some pretty angry lyrics at times from James which is expected, due to the name of the song. Still not metal, but a good hard rocker. 4/5

Mama Said - Now if you are disappointed by what you have heard so far, and hoping for some metal, stay far away from this song. It has a very much country feel to it. However, this is an excellent song. The strongest part of the track is James vocals, they are sung amazingly well. In memory of his mother who died when he was 16. Quite verses with James and his acoustic guitar play along side louder chorus that have a slide guitar, drums and bass. The mid-section is also great too, very passionate vocals. Due to the video, every time I picture this song in my head, I see someone driving through a desert listening to this. After the final chorus, James belts out his vocals singing “never I asked of you/but never I gave/but you gave me your emptiness/which I take to my grave”. 5/5

Thorn Within - A heavier number (sorry, still no metal), but has some decent riffs. About a minute and half in and the vocals come in with a clean guitar riff backed by a quieter distorted one. This song doesn’t follow the standard rock structure which is a good point. A kind of bluesy guitar solo is played around the half way mark. Some good lyrics through out. Gets heavier near the end with some nice drumming from Lars. 4/5

Ronnie - Easily the worst song on the album, and maybe one of the worse Metallica songs too. Reminds me of Skynyrd in a way. Opening riff is played too much, and I find it pretty annoying. 1/5

The Outlaw Torn - Along with Bleeding Me, closest thing to the black album on this record is this track. It is EPIC. The intro is a slow build up of a heavy rhythm section and a wah wah lead playing at the end of each bar until it explodes into a heavier section before dropping back into a bass lead verse. The guitars make a few odd appearances while James sings in a sinister manner. After a few loud heavy choruses and quiet verses, it follows into a similar version of the verse but with James using something that sounds like feedback fading in and out on his guitar. This is followed up by one of the best wah solos Hammett has ever produced, it adds so much more effect and energy to the song. Which leads back into another heavy chorus, that goes back into another intro, which is similar to the verses! The songs end ups on that feedback sound James was using before the wah solo but it is followed up by a lightly distorted solo that works really well with everything eventually fading out. What an amazing ending! 5/5

Load overall is an average record, very different to all of Metallica previous work (which I respect them for). If you’re a fan of pre-black album era, stay away from this record, there are elements of metal but mostly this album is just a hard rock all the way through. The sound is much more commercial as well, it follows a lot of standard rock formulas “intro, verse, chorus, verse”, which we all know.

A lot of the work is new, interesting an unique to Metallicas sound. Slide guitar solos, different guitar work (reminds me of Guns n Roses in a way), shorter songs, better lyrics (in my opinion, but come on, look at kill ‘em all!), and overall a new sound, mainly due to production.

However, there are obvious flaws. A lot of songs sound the same, or similar I.E King Nothing or Ain’t My Bitch. Which does can get annoying if you’re listening to it through out. Also, this is a long album (appox. the same length as Tools “Lateralus”). Also, as I’ve mentioned a lot of times, Metallicas new sound to older fans would be a huge negative to the album.

Some recommended songs:
Bleeding Me
Until It Sleeps
The Outlaw Torn

But obviously it all depends on your musical tastes.
This album deserves at least a 4 out of 5.

2.7

July 27th 2005

How can you rate this album higher than what Kill 'Em All and Fade To Black are rated. This album is a solid album but 4 stars. It is Metallica's first truly commercial album (The Black Album still had some metal to it). Rating this album 4 stars when Metallica released albums like Master of Puppets and ... And Justice for All are also rated 4-5 stars seems a little high. The songs just feel like the band sat down and said well lets make an album that will move off the shelves because of our name. This is made apparent by the lack of creativity in the songs, they are all basically the same formula repeated over and over and by track 5 you have basically heard the whole album.

heavy metal kid
July 28th 2005

why seems that many of the people who reviews load, based on the metallica past albums and not on the potential of the album, come on, this album it's pretty good.This Message Edited On 07.27.05

ESP47
July 28th 2005

Load in itself is a good album. I don't agree with you saying that The Outlaw Torn and Bleeding Me are similar to the black album though. Nothing on this album is close to the black album in sound. Almost every song on this one is bluesy. While the black album had a bunch of different influences.

Sendor
July 28th 2005

I'll agree with ESP47 there, this album by itself is a solid effort. Just not the metallica we all know and love, and Outlaw torn and Bleeding me are definately not like anything on the black album, but I'll agree that thay are epic.

Sepstrup
July 28th 2005

To me this is one of Metallica's best albums, actually. Dangerous statement, I know. I like the old stuff too, but there are some very good songs here. I disagree with some of your ratings though... Ain't My Bitch and King Nothing are great songs, in my opinion... I'm glad you rated The Outlaw Torn highly though, one of my favourite Metallica songs.

Nice review

July 28th 2005

I did read your review, but i still don't think it is that great of an album. I thought it was a good review, but I can't justify giving this anything more than just a 3 it is an average album for Metallica, and a great album compared to the other hard rock (not metal) albums out there. I simply said to put this album on the same level as the others seems a little excessive.

July 28th 2005

Either way i still think this album is only average, I just wish they could got back to what they had and create another RtL or MoP.

Sepstrup
July 28th 2005

After four somewhat similar cd's, they have to change their sound somewhat... Can't keep making the same stuff.This Message Edited On 12.29.05

July 29th 2005

The whole load era is terrible. END of story. Have you ever looked inside this album booklet? you can actually SEE the sell out. They look all rich and u can tell that they arnt putting much effort into their music. This Message Edited On 07.28.05

July 29th 2005

Yea your right but if I were them I wouldnt have pictures of me smoking cigars and drinking probably expensive wine in the booklet. Its superfluous. I mean if the album was good...ok wtvr. But it isnt so there.

Apathy
September 29th 2005

This was a very repetitive and rather horrid album. Still better than Reload and St. Anger put together, though. This is such a hard album to listen to in one sitting, because it is so boring. Metallica are one of my favorite bands, but that doesn't redeem this album.

Xmeta__llicaX
September 30th 2005

well every one has options and i respect urs u do have good points me persanaly i like some th esongs on this one such as torn within,kind nothing ,Untill it sleeps, hero of the day,2x4 ect it isnt there greatest but ...im not judging it like evryone else dose its the same thing with st.anger if no one ever heard a previous metallica record they would probably love it ..but instead they just judge by there old stuff....i dont think thats right ..every band chenges and face it metallica will never come out with another ride the lightning or black album....they have outlooks and things i still think of metallica as my favorite band they inspired what metal is today....

Apathy
September 30th 2005

I like Metallica too. That does not mean, however, that I have to enjoy this album. I like so many bands that I cannot afford to buy more than about....four of their albums. This is one I would avoid.

September 30th 2005

Dude heres what I realised. No mater how influential and popular Metallica was none of their albums really amaze or captivate me. As a whole though, I think their music is very good. This album, is not that great at all as I have said.

September 30th 2005

I really, really like this album. Easily my favourite Metallica disc. I don't really care if it's not the same as AJFA?. It's still a good disc - The Outlaw Torn, King Nothing, Mama Said, Until It Sleeps, and Ronnie are all very good. I agree with the four star rating.

'The whole load era is terrible. END of story. Have you ever looked inside this album booklet? you can actually SEE the sell out. They look all rich and u can tell that they arnt putting much effort into their music. '

This is one of the stupidest things I've ever read. Oh noes, their pictures are in black and white! Watch out guys, next they'll be wearing Armani to photo shoots. I particularly don't get the leap of logic required to assume that 'they arnt putting much effort into their music. ' I assume you attended every writing and recording session to make that judgement, because that's the only way you can say something like that and not be talking through your arse.

October 1st 2005

Watch out, it's the Idiot Brigade again. Right, this should be fun...

Just because Kirk Hammet doesn't break out the pentatonic scale on every song does not mean that the songs are bad. I would have thought this was a fairly obvious point. Kirk himself said that he was sick of doing the same old thing on every song. Omitting solos on St Anger (which I am not a fan of, by the way) was a conscious decision by the band. If you can't accept that a band will move on and develop and change their sound within their careers, you're probably not suited to listening to music. Grow up and accept that it's not all about you and what you want to hear.

October 1st 2005

This ended up being so long that I had to post it in two sections. Part Two:

Frankly, if all I wanted to hear in a song was solos, I'd go and listen to Yngwie Malmsteen. Unfortunately, all his songs are rubbish. Why's that? Because he has extremely limited creativity - all the man can do is shred. I'm after something more broad in music. Playing fast guitar 'way up high on the tiny strings' (points to anyone who guesses the reference) is only a limited part of what music is. If Metallica want to move away from that, fine.

And besides all that, there are some quite acceptable solos on Load. Bleeding Me, Aint My Bitch (go that slide!) and King Nothing come to mind. Quit your whining.

*dusts hands*

October 1st 2005

'Agree'd bands change there sound. However every guitarist and band has their own sound. Metalllica has left the thrash sound all the way.'

And now a band's sound is defined by their fans, huh? That's funny. I always thought it was the band that defined their own sound. Shows how ignorant I am, then.

I don't really care about 'sellout' accusations. I don't care how much money they're making. I like how this album sounds, and I'm judging it on its own merits, not comparing it to their other, earlier stuff.

October 1st 2005

Way to dodge the smackdown. Let's deal with this in point form:

1. They sold out - Define 'sold out'. Usually, coming from a fan of older music, it means 'changed their sound'. Yes, they have money. This is in now way their own fault - it is, after all, you who are buying their albums.
2. They suck now - My my, getting all subjective now, are we? Please, try to stick to objective descriptions that can actually be discussed.
3. Their new music is:
a) boring - Again, subjective. I don't think it's boring.
b) unoriginal - And AJFA is hella original, right? It's about as template thrash as you can get. Besides, I don't think I've heard anything that sounds quite like this album.

You know what? If opinion (which is all your posts are made up of) was fact, we'd all be in a world of crap.
This Message Edited On 10.01.05

October 1st 2005

Look Asheroth... they sold out for some people. In other words they completely changed their style to appeal to the mainstream. And why did I say you can see that they don't put much effort into the songs??? Well cuz I happen to have received the album as a gift a while ago and listened to it entireally. They are capable of making much more interesting music than this. But they don't to make thier songs cathcier and what not. THATS CALLED SELLING OUT. Of course, im not gonna call you an idiot as you did me because music is a question of opinion and if you still like metallica after the black album thats fine. Its just that I and a lot of other people such as Helbackbytheban don't and thats it.