Malefice
Dawn Of Reprisal

by Magnus Altkula STAFF
March 8th, 2009 | 36 replies

Review Summary: When thrash and death metal blend together.......

Malefice are a British metal band from Reading, England, formed in 2003. They play thrash metal influenced death metal and sometimes even have some progressive metal influence in their sound. Dawn Of Reprisal is their second full length and is a definite step up from their first album, Entities. Malefice has a lot more mature and worked-out sound on this album and they have improved their music in general. Dawn Of Reprisal is much better sounding and is unified all around.

Dawn Of Reprisal offers the listener a strong punch of death metal combined with thrash metal. The member that grabs the listeners attention first, will probaly be vocalist Dave Butler. Most of the album he screams, shouts and growls. At times though, he enters into a small clean vocal part (see choruses of "End of Days" and "Hatred Justified") which showcases that he can actually also sing very well. During these small clean breaks, he keeps the tension up well, and even manages to hit some higher notes quite well.

The growls on Dawn of Reprisal are musically strong. They are very powerful and the way they are presented only enhances that fact. The same can be said about the screams. Angry shouting is the preferred vocal style of Butler and is, of course, done very nicely. Nothing all that extra special in Butler's shouts, but they still deliver sufficiently well and match with the music almost perfectly. Also, Butler has a lot of potential, and due to the powerful nature of his voice, he displays many signs of becoming even better, so the hopes are high for him.

The instrumental part of this album is also very enjoyable. The first thing that reaches the ear is the drumming which is very professional and interesting. There is plenty of variation found in the drumming patterns, and the drums are very protruding, creating one hell of a sound. The drumming speed variates from average to fast. There are some rare slow parts, but the drumming never reaches the point of very fast. And that is actually not even a con or anything, since drumming is probably the biggest highlight of this album, being very professional and variable.

The guitar riffs that are offered in here are very, very heavy, low tuned and deep sounding. They are not extremely complex, but they do achieve their goal, which is being as heavy as possible. The riffs are constantly hanging in the middle of thrash and death metal, repeatedly breaking the boundaries of both genres. Guitarist show no mercy to their instruments and really torture the strings to cast out the loudest and baddest sound possible, remaining professional in the same time. The riffing is just incredibly heavy and low-pitched. There are even some occasional solos in some songs, which are nicely executed. Solos offered here are not very technical neither are they long, but they fit the context superbly. The best, neat little solos are found in the songs "As I Bleed" and "Hatred Justified". Also, parts that stand out in the context, are the occasional high-pitched guitar riffs, that give the songs (they are in) a very good atmosphere, while the bass on its turn is backing them up with some neat downtuned riffs.

The whole atmosphere and feel of this album is very epic and sometimes sounds like Scandinavian metal. In some songs, there is an undoubtable use of pianos/synthesizers to give a final touch to the atmosphere, and craft the occasional melodies a little higher. Themes of Dawn Of Reprisal circle mainly around war, hate, feelings, torture, destruction, life and even love, sometimes even scratching the surface of being truly emotional (such a rare thing in death metal). The overall sound that Malefice create is brutal, yet still melodic at the same time, and full of neat death metal riffage. The vocals are very harsh and angry at one point but in the next they can become downright brutally emotional, filled with feelings and emotions.

The sound of this album is not extra complex, but it is very unique and even somewhat inventional. Malefice crosses the modern thrash and death metal genres well, in order to create their unique sound, which is heavy, emotional, brutal and enjoyable.

Eluveitie OriginsMiXE1 Starlit Skin
Doom:VS EarthlessNocturnal Breed Napalm Nights
Thyrien Hymns of the Mortals - Songs from the NorthIskald Nedom Og Nord
TBliss (3)
Malefice have the potential to make a record as great as their live show, but on the evidence of ‘...

jrowa001
March 8th 2009

excellent album. is english not your first language? decent review, but it reads kind of awkwardly

March 8th 2009

yes, sorry but english is not my first language. I DID proofread this but i'm sure that as a northern european I might have some grammatical errors.

jrowa001

its all good.

thanks

bastard
March 8th 2009

Good review if english isn't your first language, you're getting better.

March 8th 2009

thanks to you also bastard. I try to make my reviews as smooth as possible but I guess that the fact that english isn't my first language is sufficiently present.

But i'm working real hard to get my english to a great level, since I guess its at least ok now.

KYZAR
March 8th 2009

"but the heaviness of them is sometimes even brutal"

grammar lol.

Just kidding! really though I'm impressed by this review because English isn't your 1st language.

Also album sounds really good, may get.

March 8th 2009

Cool review. I was thinking of doing this as I reviewed their debut and it's a definite step up from from that

gaslightanthem

snooze you lose

March 8th 2009

yeah to everyone who are thinking about gettin this.......GET IT. It really is very good.

March 8th 2009

I was only thinking of doing it, I'm too lazy/busy to actually write anything at the moment anyway.

Artwork is pretty cool too.

March 8th 2009

yeah the artwork rules and tracks from 1-7 are pure awesomeness. 9 is very good also, but 8 and 10 are a bit weaker than the others. Regardless, its an excellent album. Just out of curiosity, what are your favorite tracks Phantom?

March 8th 2009

Ya, kick ass artwork. I love Deth/thrash so i'll get this. And get the newest Benediction album for some mroe awesome death/ thrash. Good review sir.

Digging: Pharmakon - Abandon

March 8th 2009

Thanks balls, I will for sure check out Benedicton.

March 8th 2009

I've not listened to it enough to choose favourite tracks yet, another reason why I won't be reviewing it for a while, but the first half is probably the best. The Midas Effect is probably one of my favourites if I were to choose one now.

March 8th 2009

Ya, they're fucking old school and get no recogntiion. I'm in the processm of refurnishing their empty sputnik page. They...must be known. Will acquire this because myspace is great and Metal Hammer told me too. You too.

March 8th 2009

yes it really is worth purchasing. And yes, like I said above, i will for sure check out Benedicton.

Moar liek metal grandma

Also liking the fact that it was recorded/produced by two ex-Sikth guys Justin HIll and Dan Weller.This Message Edited On 03.08.09

KYZAR
March 9th 2009

Just got this yesterday from what i've listened to it's good.

March 10th 2009

yes it is very good + it is a grower