Less Than Jake
Borders And Boundaries

by brycey USER (19 Reviews)
January 14th, 2005 | 11 replies

Roger - Bass, Vocals
Vinnie - Drums
Buddy - Trumbone
J. R - Saxophone

This record had to live up to the past successes of "Hello Rockview" and "Losing Streak", and to be honest, it didn't. I love this album, but many people hate it, which confuses me. The lack of horns on this album is probably the reason. Pete, a former trumbone player for Less Than Jake, had quit beforehand because he didn't like the direction the band was taking.

Vinnie keeps doing well with the lyrics and drums. He's a great writer. Roger still writes amazing bass riffs, that you'll hear throughout the album. Chris is still playing catchy guitar parts, with "Gainesville Rock City" an example of this. The brass parts, as few as there may be, are still sounding great, thanks to the work of J. R and Buddy.

The downside to this album would be the lack of horns, as i have mentioned, and also the song "Is This Thing On?". i don't like this song, and i feel it doesn't fit in with the album.

Other than that, it really is an amazing album.

Recommended Tracks:
Look What Happened
Gainesville Rock City
Malt Liquor Tastes Better When You've Got Problems
Pete Jackson Is Getting Married
Faction

This album, in my opinion, is an outstanding album. I love almost everything about it ("Is This Thing On?" brings it down). I give this 4.5/5.

Avril Lavigne Under My SkinThe Cure Greatest Hits
The Vandals Look What I Almost Stepped InThe Vandals Hitler Bad, Vandals Good
Less Than Jake B Is For B-sidesRancid Life Won't Wait
Chelsea Brinda (3.5)

brycey
August 1st 2004

I got them on the album because I'm cool and you're not.

Chilly-Bean-Bop
June 2nd 2005

nice review. my favorite song is last hour of the last day of work. the songs you mentioned are awesome too. ltj is fucking awesome. :-D

kolzig33189
December 16th 2005

this is the turning point where they basically stopped playing ska. still a good cd and good review

kiosk2081
February 5th 2006

this is a great album, one of my favorites... look what happend is in my opinion one of the best punk songs in recent history...

burton.and.gas
March 5th 2006

dude for a 4.5 u wud probably be expected to write more. Not by me but by the stricter guys online. Anyway i love this album!

smokersdieyounger
May 10th 2006

This is one of the few LTJ albums I dont have yet, and as its got live tracks, I feel Im missing out, they are amazing live.

Two-Headed Boy
June 17th 2006

I really have to listen to this. I have it packed away downstairs.

monkey_dancer
June 17th 2006

I love this album, and I disagree about 'is this thing on?', I like that song. The bonus tracks are on the uk bonus-y version (which I have, yay!). The problem was that you didn't have that much detail on the review, you didn't really explain WHY you gave it such a high rating.

Megadeth
November 18th 2010

awes review brycey, a great album to jam to