Back to School (Mini Maggit)

by Adam Jones is GOD USER (14 Reviews)
July 26th, 2005 | 8 replies

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Deftones – Back To School (Mini Maggit)

Live Deftones tracks are always welcome
Nice to get an acoustic version of Change (In the house of flies)
Teething is a great song for an unreleased track

Nothing really that new
Too short for something priced as an album

Recommended Tracks

Nosebleed [Live]
Feiticeira [Live]

In Depth

This 7 track CD contains a mixed bag of tracks by the band, featuring live, acoustic and unreleased tracks. There is still some confusion in my mind over the release of this in comparison to white Pony, because this also featured a short film preview of White Pony songs (which is very reminiscent of Fear Factory’s ‘Resurrection’), but was released after White Pony.
One idea was that, due to some reason, the original White Pony released, in the UK at least, never contained Back To School (which isn’t something I lose sleep over), and this was re-released as an extended single CD outside of the US, which also showed off other tracks from the album. This would explain why it feels so thrown together and disjointed to make any sort of proper Deftones live album/B-sides formula.

Standout Tracks

Nosebleed [Live]

One of my favourite tracks off Adrenaline, this pounding beast is shown off best in a live environment. Chino is on form for this recording, which is usually hit and miss. His voice still may be sub par live, but he puts enough into it to pull it off well.

Feiticeira [Live]

The great opening track to White Pony also sounds great in its live setting, as the band both pull it off flawlessly. Its another chance for live Deftones as well, without fear of inconsistency.

This CD shouldn’t appeal to anyone but major Deftones fans. It contains only 1 new song, and the ‘Live in Hawaii’ DVD contains a better chance for their acoustic reworkings. The title track is poor for the Deftones, and the live stuff is overshadowed by the studio version.
The preview video is quite clever though, and while the rest of the album isn’t bad, it’s just nothing new and different.
For people outside the Deftones world, get White Pony over this. For fans, this’ll go well in your collection, as it’s another unreleased song buried in there at least.

Deftones are:

Chino Moreno – Vocals
Chi Cheng – Bass
Stef Carpenter – Guitars
Abe Cunningham – Drums/Percussion
Frank Delgado – Turntables/Keys

The Black Mages The Skies AboveNobuo Uematsu Final Fantasy VII: Original Soundtrack
Mogwai Rock ActionPeach Giving Birth To A Stone
Mogwai Government CommissionsBiffy Clyro Infinity Land

July 26th 2005

I haven't actually listened to this CD, but I've heard "Nosebleed", "Feiticeira", and "Teething" live a vast amount of times. The only track on there that I've never heard, which is shocking since I'm a 'Tones freak, is "Change" in its acoustic form.

I don't really understand why "Back To School" itself and a live version of the song both appear on the same disc. Hmm.

I can't agree with your comment on the live shows being overshadowed by the studio performances. Of course they are, they're not trying to perfectly get down the songs they're playing when it's a live show. Chino's vocals definitely are hit and miss at times, but you can't really compare live shows with studio recordings. I do agree, however, about the Hawaii DVD being great for their two acoustic performances, but it's kinda "meh" other than that.

Adam Jones is GOD
July 26th 2005

I was comparing the two for the best quality when getting a CD. I know that the two are in their own quality, but if a first time listener wants the best, the studio is the best.

(I always write my reviews slightly biased to people who haven't heard anything from the band)

Kid A
October 14th 2005

I love this.

August 5th 2008

Deftones is fantastic live.

August 5th 2008

Really like this reviewers name hahahaha. He is THAT good!

Digging: Silencer (SWE) - Death - Pierce Me

August 5th 2008

Forgot, Eliminator is the music GOD! Oh ya, I also forgot you proclaimed in one of your reviews, whatever album it was that you were reviewing, that you thought it was the GREATEST METAL ALBUM EVER!

November 12th 2012

i really love how the pink maggit chorus is used in back to school

Digging: Gorgoroth - Under the Sign of Hell