Jane's Addiction
Nothing's Shocking

by Tomahawk USER (3 Reviews)
January 14th, 2005 | 30 replies

Release Date: 1988 | Tracklist

So I did this review for the "Suggest an Album" thread in the Alt/Indie forum about a month ago, and I thought I might as well post it here...

Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking
First off, Jane's Addiction are a Alternative Metal band. Well, I call them metal, they're not very heavy though, kind of airy even. Their singer, Perry Farrell, has a high pitched (some say chipmunky, but that's unfair I think) voice, which annoys some people. Personally I like it because it's different, and fairly powerful, like a buzzsaw or something. Their guitarist is Dave Navarro, and he is very talented. He throws little solo's in all the time, and it sounds like part of the song, rather than showing off. Their bassist (who is no longer in the band) is Eric Avery, and he comes up with some very cool bass lines, and he's missed on their new album. And their drummer is Steve Perkins, I'm no drumming expert, but I think he adds alot of power to their songs.

They had a hit with "Been Caught Stealing" which is on their most critically acclaimed album "Ritual De Lo Habitual". That album is probably better, but I find Nothing's Shocking to be almost as good, and it's probably a better introduction to the band for a newcomer. So here's the track by track...

1) Up The Beach: This is an intro to the album, but it's still a great song. Very airy with some nice guitar work from Dave Navarro, some great bass from Avery, and Perry's vocals kinda just floating over the top. 4/5

2) Ocean Size: This is possibly my favourite Jane's song (Along with Three Days). It s a hard rocker, but still kind of airy. Perry's vocal's annoy some people, but in this song he really shows how powerful his voice can be. And Dave Navarro just throws little solos in all over the place, which sound great. 5/5

3) Had A Dad: This song is just OK. I don t mind it, and there s nothing really wrong with it, but for whatever reason it doesn t really hold my attention. Since this is a short description, I'll also add that to me it sounds like it would fit in on the first half of "Ritual De Lo Habitual". 2/5

4) Ted, Just Admit It: This is about Ted Bundy, the serial killer. It starts off with a really cool, slow, bass riff. The first few minutes of the song are kinda trippy, laid back, and a bit creepy. It starts to build up a bit, with a few solos from Dave and then all of a sudden they do a 180 turn, and the song turns from trippy into a crazy frantic rocker, with Perry repeatedly yelling out "Sex is violent!". An amazing song, which for some reason I hated at first. 5/5

5) Standing in the Shower Thinking: A fun song. It's upbeat and bouncy. I don't have much to say about it but it s good, trust me. 3/5

6) Summertime Rolls: The bass at the start of this song is kind of revisiting the first track, Up The Beach . It's a really relaxing, laid back song, and like the title implies it feels very summery. It's also fairly psychedelic too, and it builds up wonderfully. Another amazing song. 5/5

7) Mountain Song: A rocker, probably the hardest rocking song they ve done. It has a huge sound, very powerful. I don't usually pay much attention to drums, but they sound amazing in this song. And here's a fun fact, apparently for one part of the solo, Dave played his guitar with a vibrator. Just thought I'd throw that in there. 4/5

8) Idiots Rule: Another fun, upbeat song, along the same lines as "Standing in the Shower". It has very cool horns, played by Flea, from the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. 3/5

9) Jane Says: One of their most popular songs. It's a really nice, simple, acoustic song, about the junkie who was the band's namesake. It has wonderful lyrics, and Perry pours a whole lot of emotion into his vocals. Also, Perkins moves away from regular drums to play steel drums (Jamaican style), which add a lot to the song. 4.5/5

10) Thank You Boys: A cool little jazzy interlude. I m not really sure what the deal is with this song, and it being here, but it's OK. 2/5

11) Pigs In Zen: To finish off the album, another rocker. This one reminds me of Rage Against The Machine, and has a funky riff from Dave. I like the breakdown where Perry starts spouting out some weird stuff, talking about how "Some people should die, that s just common knowledge". A good, if a bit weird, end to an awesome album. 3.5/5

Sorry if the review isn't great, it's the first thing like this I've written, and I'm not great at explaining songs. And I ramble a bit. The song ratings I kinda just chucked on there as an afterthought, but I think they're right. As far as the album rating...

I really love this album, and I'd like to give it 5 out of 5 but I can't quite put it on the same level as their followup, "Ritual De Lo Habitual". But like I said, this is probably a better intro to the band, as it's more eclectic, and it's probably more "fun". You can probably get it for cheap, so if you maybe like their new album (I personally find their new album overproduced, the rawer sound of this album works better for them), you should check out this one.

4/5

Brendan Schroer (5)
"I mean it's serious, as serious can be"...

Edmund Blackadder (4.5)
Jane's Addiction manages to create an excellent album with amazing instrumentation and a very dark t...

OrbDragon
February 4th 2004

Great review...I like this record alot...it's way ahead of it's time. This album influenced my drumming a great deal...Stephen Perkins had a very unique style back then...but in the new stuff he is not showing it as well as in Nothing's Shocking and Ritual. His chemistry with Avery was great.

I like "Thank You Boys"...why just a 2/5?

Bartender
February 4th 2004

Good review, I love Jane's Addiction...I totally agree with you about Ocean Size, its pretty much my favourite Jane's song. I was kinda disappointed with the opening track first time I listened to it, and the gentle start and cry of "three four!" that started Ocean Size was just what I needed to start loving the album.

The NPC
February 4th 2004

Yeah, great review. JA is a very different group and they don't always recieve the credit I feel they diserve. Though they are and can be very flamboyant, I think it serves their music well to be that way. Not many groups can pull that off but when they do magic happens.

Tomahawk
February 5th 2004

[QUOTE=OrbDragon]I like "Thank You Boys"...why just a 2/5?[/QUOTE]

I guess 2/5 was a bit harsh. It's not that I don't like it, but it feels like just an interlude.

Doctor D.
February 5th 2004

It was the first JA album I ever heard, and I bought it when I did. Oh, and members from FIshbone also played horns on "Idiots Rule", which is one of my favorites on the album.

slapmaster
March 2nd 2004

Yeah This album rates in my top 10 (I agree that ritual de lo habitual is better and i put that at number 2 on my list but anyway..). Ted, just admit it is without a doubt my fave song from the album because of its jazzy bass-line and raw vocal power. the reason thank you boys is only a short interlude-type song is because on the original vinyl it was the last song, but when it was produded as a cd jane's threw in the reworked track "Pigs in zen" which featured on their debut self titled album which was recorded live at the roxy. Dave Navarro is easily one of the best guitarists going round these days. his solos can't be beat.

Kingadamx
January 3rd 2005

I must have missed this review or something, because I was going to review it. This album kind of brought me to the "Alternative" genre of music. I would say that Jane's Addiction is the epitome of "Alternative" music. There is just so much power held in this album that showcases what the band is all about. Pretty good review.

5/5

jeremythepsycho
August 10th 2005

the choice tracks in this album includes "Ocean Size", "Summertime Rolls", "Jane Says" and the wonderful "Mountain Song".

jeremythepsycho
August 12th 2005

oh yeah, sex is violent!!!! lol

Zappa
August 12th 2005

This album is incredibly great. Whenever an album fills a completely unique spot in my collection, as long as it's a spot I feel like visiting, that record becomes a very important thing to me. Hooray for them.

OrbDragon
August 13th 2005

"Mountain Song"...prolly my favorite intro of any alt rock song.

Myxomatosis129
October 22nd 2005

This album is also #309 on The Rolling Stones top 500 albums of all time

Rudd13
December 5th 2005

I am listening to this for the first time in quite a while, and it is still a solid album. Navarro's style isnt my personal favorite, but it winds up the whole album into something so creative, and real. Nothing's Shocking is a classic. Mountain Song rocks as well.

Rudd13
December 5th 2005

Oh, boy.

Genocidal_Nimrod
March 18th 2006

Ok review
I thought that Ritual was better though. But this one is good also.

tom79
April 22nd 2006

Great album, listening to it right now.
Good review too, although I think you underated some tracks, mainly Had A Dad, and Standing in the Shower...Thinking.

Digging: Wil Wagner - Laika

crazyaff
April 23rd 2006

yeah great review but ritual was better in my opinoin because it had three days

Iluvatar
April 23rd 2006

Gawd dis album is leik teh ownzor. jane says is rly 1 of teh bestest songs evar.
But seriously, this album is amazing. IU haven't listened to in a long time, I know what tomorrow entails. Besides Louder Now and Redeemer.

crazyaff
April 25th 2006

three days and janes says are the best janes songs besides muntain song the bass into is fucking mint

Jacaranda
April 25th 2006

Wow how many things can you have wrong in one post?