VERSA
VersaEmerge

by Adam Thomas STAFF
February 11th, 2009 | 49 replies | 12,837 views

Review Summary: Parawho?

VerseEmerge's Perceptions EP proved that they weren't just another Paramore clone. Perception's blend of spacey post-hardcore instrumentation and soaring female vocals made it one of the more surprising debuts of 2008. Only three months removed from the release of their debut, VersaEmerge are back with a new release in the form of yet another EP, this time showing off a more subdued side of the band.

VersaEmerge start off their self-titled EP with the eerie Theatrics. Falling somewhere between over-dramatic video game sound clip and Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack, Theatrics introduces a new element in VersaEmerge's sound, keyboards. Theatrics soon unfolds into the ridiculously catchy, yet still rather ballsy, The Hider. The Hider begins bathed in cold electronics and it breaks into a roaring rocker with singer Sierra Kusterbeck's powerful vocals floating gracefully over silky smooth, Receiving Ends of Sirens'-esque guitar work provided by Blake Harnage and Jerry Pierce. The EP continues with its best track, Moments Between Sleep. Showing off their strong pop sensibilities, Moments Between Sleep brings to mind the best of both Paramore and Mae. Its swirling collection of synths and muted guitar gives way into a majestic chorus driven by one hell of a vocal hook that could easy take the place of That's What You Get or Pressure on your next playlist. Whisperer sees the keyboards take the forefront yet again with a tiptoeing riff that fits the song's darker motif. It almost sounds like a power-pop Evanescence. Guitarist Blake Harnage shows off his pipes on Whisperer as he provides backing vocals on the song. His voice is the typical pop-punk affair but it fits perfectly with Sierra's vocals. VerseEmerge close out their latest EP with a redone version of Clocks, originally found on Perceptions. The guitar melodies that permeated the original version of Clocks have been replaced by an acoustic guitar, bubbly synths and swelling strings turning it into a stirring ballad that closes the EP out in a chilling fashion.

With just two releases under their belts VersaEmerge have catapulted through the endless ranks of pop-punk bands to become a force to be reckoned with. Their self-titled EP just reinforces this. Sure it lacks some of the upfront aggression of their debut, but the powerful songwriting, shimmering guitar work and captivating vocals are all there and just as strong as before.

YOB Clearing The Path To AscendUnited Nations The Next Four Years
Matter TeraphimThe Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is There
Owls TwoTaking Back Sunday Happiness Is

fireaboveicebelow

getting now

EDIT: why won't they release a full albumThis Message Edited On 02.11.09

jingledeath
February 11th 2009

the new Clocks is so so awesome, as is Past Praying For and Whispers.

Serpento
February 11th 2009

mmm definitely starting to get into this band

Athom

whole EP is so awesome.

fixedThis Message Edited On 02.11.09

Digging: Inigo Kennedy - Vaudeville

February 11th 2009

Drummer is so hot right now.

I really like Perceptions so I need to get this ASAP.

jingledeath

yeah because...

[quote]whole EP is so awesome.
[/quote]

February 11th 2009

A QUOTE OF A QUOTE OF A QUOTE. I MUST GET THIS NOW!

Athom
February 11th 2009

the whole thing is streaming on their myspace btw

February 11th 2009

OH shi...I'm there. Thanks for the heads up.

Mikesn

This is pretty good

gaslightanthem
February 11th 2009

or there are loads of free downloads, good review man now i don't have to do this i guess

February 11th 2009

I gave this a couple of listens on their mspace and it is better than Perceptions, but The Authors is still my favourite track by them.

They need to do a full length asap.

Minus The Flair
February 11th 2009

Great review, you should really apply for contributor.

fireaboveicebelow

I like perceptions better

Willie
February 11th 2009

I bought the Perceptions EP, but that's all the money they're getting from me until they take the time to release a full album. Good review.

Digging: Necropoli - I

Sconza
February 17th 2009

Great EP.
And I agree that they should release a full length album soon!

February 17th 2009

The thing that really bogs this album down is the Hayley Williams worship. Vocals are great no doubt but they are way, way to similar to Paramore. Hopefully the chick in this band finds her own voice just in time for the full length. Coming from my local area, I have high hopes for this band.

Digging: Tiamat - Clouds

March 6th 2009

i am starting to reallly love this band

playswithpassion
April 4th 2009

Their voices are similar but it doesn't sound enough where you could call it off as a blatant rip off or anything.

Really good ep and I honestly like them a lot more than Paramore.

Lucid
April 16th 2009

This grew on me, it's pretty awesome

Digging: Perfume Genius - Too Bright