Here I Come Falling
Oh Grave, Where Is Thy Victory

good

by PureBlueSF USER (1 Reviews)
February 10th, 2009 | 13 replies | 6,647 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: It's definitely a decent screamo album, considering it's on Rise Records, a label known for releasing subpar albums by untalented bands. It could still use improvement, though.

NOTE: This is my first review. Tips and suggestions on how I could improve my writing are greatly appreciated.

Heavy screams, clean singing, synths, I'm sure you've all heard it before. Most nu-screamo bands (and some metalcore bands) use that formula, and for some it brings success. It worked for Underoath & The Devil Wears Prada, so hey it should work for everyone right? Not necessarily. Some bands go overboard with the synths (Attack Attack, Enter Shikari), while with some bands it's just basically in the background keeping the song going. Here I Come Falling would probably go in the latter category. The synth doesn't overrun everything else, but you can definitely tell it's there. It works pretty well for them and it puts them above overly synth-happy bands like Attack Attack.

The synth is not really the most important part of the music, though; if anything, it's just an added extra. With most bands, the vocals are what makes the music enjoyable or what makes the music an aural disaster. Thankfully, HICF do okay in the vocal department. Like a lot of screamo bands, they alternate between screamed vocals and cleanly sung vocals. The screams are definitely good, but they aren't much different from the screams from the likes of The Devil Wears Prada. Same goes for the clean vocals; they sound pretty similar to The Devil Wears Prada's clean vocals, which means they're good but might be too high pitched for some people. They use the typical screamo/metalcore approach with screams in the verses and clean vocals in the choruses. This eventually starts to get tedious, because other than the one instrumental and the song "And So We'll Be With The Lord Forever", they use the pattern in every song. They don't seem to make any attempt to change it up; they stick with one pattern and use it till the end. The guitars and drums basically just carry the vocals along with the rest of the song; I would make a comment about the bass but like in most heavy music it isn't very audible.

Even though they aren't really original, Here I Come Falling do have some positives: they play a stale genre well, and they are better than most of the bands on their record label, Rise Records. If you're looking for a completely new experience in screamo music, you won't find anything here. But if you know what you want in your screamo, you will probably like this.

Recommended tracks:

Although

3.1
good
SteveRogers (4)
Here I Come Rising to Super Stardom......

WhiteTieBlackJacket
February 10th 2009

I'm not necessarily saying you didn't cover enough valid points, but I think you need to extrapolate a bit on the points you've provided. I bought this album, Oceana's "The Tide", and In Fear And Faith's "Voyage" on the same day and I would place this in second out of the three (though, honestly, none of them are particularly outstanding or promising).

You also might want to mention that the band has since broken up.

And... Why is this labeled as "metal"? No..

upagainstthewall
February 10th 2009

Talked a little bit too much about the synth!

not a very good band imo.

Aloof
March 24th 2009

ehh there okay.

Benjeh
November 4th 2009

vocals are almost unbearable...

HeadbangMastermind93
November 9th 2009

this is a devil wears prada ripoff

soap91
December 24th 2009

This cd had its moments, but it became very monotonous and the harsh vocals were terrible.

dnassi650
July 16th 2010

the production and mixing was awful, but the talent is definitely there. if you liked them at all, their new vocalist is in a band called 'beneath the empire'.

TheSpirit
July 16th 2010

I really like this cd

Digging: Rx Bandits - Gemini, Her Majesty

Spec
December 13th 2010

The first track has some fucking cool riffs.

RosaParks
June 20th 2011

It's definitely a decent screamo album

Obfuscation24
June 20th 2011

oh fuck i remember this album

MalleusMaleficarum
June 20th 2011

"It's definitely a decent screamo album"

ahah i was just abt to post that

Spec
September 16th 2011

I forgot about this album. Vocalist should join a straight up screamo band. His vocals turn off most fans of metalcore. They
are quite passionate though, too bad the same can't be said for the rest of the band.