VERSA
Perceptions

by kane USER (11 Reviews)
February 4th, 2009 | 135 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Hayley Williams meets Anthony Green!!

VersaEmerge straight up excite me, no doubt about it. Why? The only suitable answer I can come up with is ‘they plain do’. Figures. Forming some time whilst still in high school they started off things with the unremarkable, pop-tinged post-hardcore Cities on Sand EP in 2005. However, soon after original vocalist Spencer Pearson left, replaced eventually by a certain Sierra Kusterbeck who soon re-recorded the bands first EP in 2007. 2008 swings round and the band release Perceptions, a seven track EP designed (I’m sure) to give me something to fidget in my pants too.

Of the seven tracks three are basically throw away filler - a thirty second intro that builds into the first track - a two minute outro and a two minute passage in the middle of the EP made up of swirling electronics and atmospheric guitar with the occasional gang vocal. However, the four songs we do have on display here are absolutely killer. Personal favourite ‘In Pursuing Design’ is chock-a-block soaring melodies, huge rhythm and oh heck killer vocals. You see Sierra sounds a bit like everybody’s favourite hot young Paramore singer Hayley Williams. And when you’re in a band playing a similar style of pop rock then there is always going to be comparisons. Kusterbeck, although maybe not quite as strong a natural vocalist (although nearly as hot just saying), manages to nearly better her counterpart by ‘bending’ and crooning her voice almost Anthony Green-esque with astonishing results. Her powerful and dare I say it …beautiful voice pushes the band forward and manages to raise them another level. Hail the charismatic front man (or front woman in this case).

The music itself is more Circa Survive/Saosin than Paramore, so maybe not totally innovative but definitely very fucking good. Take a fistful of soaring melody, a solid rhythm and powerful electronic/synth work all combining in an atmospheric pop rock style with a tilt towards the dreamy but emotionally intense; all topped with hot half Williams half Green vocals and you have this album. Infectious and sexy this is most certainly worth your time.

Milk Music Beyond LivingReal Estate Days
Empire! Empire! (I Was a Lonely Estate) Year Of the Rabbit 7"Nasum Shift
Fake Problems It's Great to Be AliveUnderoath Act of Depression

oh hai sound off
album is killer get it
video for 'the authors' http://youtube.com/watch?v=BTupavcjUxU
people who will like this for sure: chan & balls

February 4th 2009

Nice review. Checked out the song samples and I'm downloading this from iTunes right now.

Digging: Mors Principium Est - Dawn Of The 5th Era

February 4th 2009

thanks man. yeah you should like this willie it's pretty awesome

February 4th 2009

Listening to "In Pursuing Design" and it's really good. This is more along the lines of what I was expecting when Balls suggested that I check out New Years Day.

i'm yet to check them out, they're on my 'to get' list though
i just really want this band to come out with a full length, i know they have a self titled ep on it's way

February 4th 2009

What do you know about their self-titled EP and "Cities Built on Sand" EP? They're both on iTunes too. Is the self titled the re-
release of "Cities..."?

i'm yet to check them out, they're on my 'to get' list though
I wasn't impressed with New Years
Day. There was no edge at all.This Message Edited On 02.04.09

February 4th 2009

not much, i only heard a few songs off cities - it's ok but not as good as this. there's two versions however - one with the original singer and one rerecorded in 2007 under the same title with this girl

i havent heard the self titled but that's a new release completely - i know it comes out this month so if it's out already awesome

I wasn't impressed with New Years
Day. There was no edge at all.

ah well, i wasn't really expecting much anyway
This Message Edited On 02.04.09

February 4th 2009

Ok, the one on iTunes is the original. It's ok (the guy kind of sounds like chick singer). Aparently the new EP is released because it's on iTunes. Sounds pretty good. This EP just finished (minus the outro) and it was well-worth the $7; good call.

February 4th 2009

i better get that today/tomorrow then if it's out
and aha yeah this is definitley worth $7, glad you enjoyed it man aha

February 4th 2009

I'm ashamed I haven't heard about this band before. It proves I know nothing about my local bands/scene. This is cool so far. I think you should check out New Years Day, they're kind of like this but even more catchier. Paramore meets Flee The Seen meets Eyes Set To Kill i'd say.

Good review Sir Flannigan, I like the epicness of the myspace tracks.This Message Edited On 02.04.09

Digging: Pink Turns Blue - If Two Worlds Kiss

Athom
February 4th 2009

just got this a while back its pretty good.

February 4th 2009

okay okay i'll get this but if it sucks i'm coming to england to cut your eyeballs out

roofi

chick is really hot

band is okay

February 4th 2009

she looks like electric city's girlfriend and one of the other band members looks like snackarybinx

Athom

guido alert!

scyther
February 4th 2009

Scarves are good for choking bitch ass niggas with.

February 4th 2009

oh chan you come on over to my turf think you have a chance
pfft nah mate ahaha
you'll like this anyway so yeah

February 4th 2009

This band looks hilarious. A lot of ugly motherfuckers in here. But damnit, do these guys and gal not play catchy pop punk or something?This Message Edited On 02.04.09

ScorpionStan
February 4th 2009

nice review man, descriptions were spot on.
the best songs from VersaEmerge to me are better than Paramore, but they have several that are duds. Paramore is more consistent. however, In Pursuing Design is prob better than anything Paramore's ever done.

pritty kool