Hoobastank
For(N)ever

by BSX USER (9 Reviews)
February 1st, 2009 | 23 replies | 5,186 views

Review Summary: Hoobastank’s latest effort is a rollercoaster of love and heartbreak

This album is short only 40 minutes long, much like their 2nd album but I feel it’s cohesive . My Turn the title track was an announcement to the world that “WE'RE BACK”. It was a good choice for the lead single getting people ready for what was to come, fast and furious. I Don’t Think I Love You continues the fast pace nature that dominates most of the record. So Close So Far the next single, which could have more appeal than The Reason shows the more toned down side of the album. The pace picks speed again with All About You which centers on how the other person in the relationship focuses more on themselves than there significant other. Doug delivers the words with bite and anger as to why they act this way. The song flows right into the next track The Letter without a break or pause. The distance of the other person is explained, they were cheating! Tears of Yesterday starts out similar to “If I were you” with a odd musical arrangement and has a piano playing throughout.

Now Doug has come to terms with his cheating lover moves on seeming to be hopeful of things to come. Sick of Hanging On starts with the Chris on a middle drum tempo, and Rob following with a fast chord change before Doug have half sings half talks the song. The bite from the second track is back but doesn’t sound as strong. You’re The One is The Reason of For(N)ever, seemly the same song just with different lyrics, beat, and chords. Who the Hell Am I, which could have replace My Turn as the lead single, has the self assurance of Every Man for Himself. Doug really let’s his voice shine. You Need To Be Here, which sounds like it was recorded during their Reason era. It’s probably the one of the upbeat songs on the record, however Doug’s voice seems muffed throughout especially when he sings, “these moments never last”. Gone Gone Gone, the final track, ends with hard rock vibe rather than with a ballad and has a low key funk riff. Doug’s voice seems to be in the background against the drum beat and guitar.

The songs are short mainly staying around 3 minutes in length but do a good job of getting the point of the subject across. The lyrics don’t seem liked the were rushed to make a hit song, but written with thought and substance. Doug’s voice improved and expand to the emotional rock of So Close, So Far to the frustration of All about You. The song flow similar to Every Man for Himself is evident but not as much only limited to a few songs. Most of Rob’s guitar playing it fast quick chord changes only slowed down for the ballads. Chris’ drumming at times overpower or drown out Doug’s vocals, but other than that he keeps within dynamics. Hoobastank does seem hell bent on having a bass player, but when they do find one he normally leaves sometime later. Allmusic said this was a breakup album and they were right. All the songs deal with relationships in some way whether it’s falling in love, loss, anger and jealously. For(N)ever could be Hoobastank’s best album taking the good aspect of their last efforts and forming it into one piece.

Recommended Tracks:

Kylie Minogue Impossible PrincessJanet Jackson Discipline
2.2
poor
project86fan (2)
"I held out some hope that they might recapture the magic of their debut with hits such as "Running ...

February 1st 2009

About time they made another record

Digging: La Roux - Trouble In Paradise

February 1st 2009

Uhh, this band is hitting up my local beach restraunt tomorrow. I don't know if I should go, probaly will because I live in nowhere. Tracklisting/ Album art? Date?

Willie
February 1st 2009

I liked the edge they had on their second album, but the one after it was just too mellow.

Digging: Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse - 20th Year Anniversary

LOL yeah sorry BallsTo TheWall I'm fixing it now

EDIT: Yes their 2nd album was a step forward, but The Reason was 10 steps back.This Message Edited On 02.01.09

February 1st 2009

This is a new album, huh. Guess I need to prepare myself with this for a crappy night on the town.

lol that cover

February 1st 2009

Worse than Madonna's Hard Candy cover?

DaveyBoy

20855 Comments

Is that seriously the album cover? I actually don't believe it.

February 1st 2009

Me neither. I hope to throw a water bottle at the singer tomorrow.

February 1st 2009

Yes that is the album cover. . .

If you're going to really throw one aim for his face.

TricksterGRex

2087 Comments

Water bottle? Come on don't be a pussy. Have the self respect to throw a glass bottle instead.This Message Edited On 02.01.09

February 1st 2009

You're right, I should be METAL! in front of my peeps and get on stage and smack the singer around a bit.

TricksterGRex

2087 Comments

Start a massive circle pit and mosh him to death.

February 1st 2009

LOL bet you'll get on the news for that, any chance for moshing nickelback to death?

Yazz_Flute
February 1st 2009

looks like he's preparing to take a load to the face

but these guys actually have some good songs. Crawling in the Dark and Pieces and Out of Control are fun tunes.

Digging: Cormorant - Dwellings

Willie
February 2nd 2009

Oops. "The Reason" is the one I thought was real good, and the one after that is the one I didn't like. I didn't know they had an album before the one with "Crawling in the Dark"

Yazz_Flute
February 2nd 2009

Yeah the one with Crawling in the Dark is actually pretty good.

February 2nd 2009

I have a feeling this guy is going to butcher eevrything. Pure autotune.

Masochist
February 2nd 2009

Yup, the totally obscure 'They Sure Don't Make Basketball Shorts Like They Used To'. I only heard about it because its here on Sputnik.

Let's see...their self-titled album was cool, 'The Reason' was pretty good (except for the title track, which is one of the worst songs of the decade so far), but I really enjoyed 'Every Man For Himself' the most out of all of them. I'm interested in how this will sound...
This Message Edited On 02.02.09

February 2nd 2009

The album is up on their myspace page.

I also enjoy Every Man for Himself the most.