As Cities Burn
Come Now Sleep

by Channing Freeman STAFF
February 1st, 2009 | 290 replies | 38,966 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: strange how we move

When I was a kid, Christian music was all I was allowed to listen to. I was fine with that from the ages of, oh, 7-13, so sheltered was I from the outside world that secular music might as well have not even existed yet. It's like when I first heard someone say something about 'playing Playstation.' I thought it was an arcade game at the bowling alley or something. Anyway, at 14, I started hearing about 'Linkin Park' and 'The Used' from my peers, but because I didn't want to 'break the rules,' I searched for Christian bands that were striving to sound like their secular counterparts. The search was largely fruitless; the bands that sounded good were still only cheap copies, and even then they were singing about something I didn't fully believe. Bands like Kutless, Skillet, etc. You know. Shit.

In the same vein, I still have an interest in bands like Thrice and Underoath beyond their great music. What interests me I suppose is the artistic ways in which they express convictions I would otherwise find ridiculous. However, even their music has no doubt in God. Doubt in themselves, of course; that's a staple for Christians. We make the mistakes, not God. That's why I love a band like mewithoutYou so much, because Aaron Weiss express the doubts in God that all Christians must have (I know I had them), and as a result their music sounds all the more honest and convincing. Furthermore, there's As Cities Burn's album Come Now Sleep. I remember listening to it about a year ago, not paying too much attention to it and therefore being bored to tears. I played it again a few months back and actually listened and I was blown away.

"Contact" is beautiful, majestic yet subdued; "climax" becomes a relative term within the song. The snaking guitar line begs the question "Oh my, heaven, why do you have doors to close?" before the doors of the song are thrown open into a slow-burning solo, followed by an a capella verse, feedback slowly fading in before cutting out to an acoustic "God must be asleep." The doubt and emotion contained within the song and the record in general is entirely convincing and moving. A fuss was made over how different Come Now Sleep is from Son, I Loved You At Your Darkest, but the differences aren't detrimental. The vocals are largely similar; there is more singing but the screaming is still there, albeit in a less aggressive manner. Second track "Empire" brings to mind their debut; short and hard-hitting with a catchy chorus flanked by self-deprecating verses with lines like "I had an angel's smile hiding a vulture's bite." The guitar riffs on Come Now Sleep are impressive, lending to the record the technicality of their debut while at the same time adding an impressive dense atmosphere.

The album's best trait is the production. Given a post rock-ish atmosphere by thick guitar tones and fadeout/fade-in techniques, Come Now Sleep becomes a wholly different listen than As Cities Burn's debut, which was often a bit obvious in its intentions and delivery. "Clouds" begins with a sample of a few voices talking about who or what they think God is, gradually building instruments up until Cody Bonnette comes in with "I think our God isn't God if he fits inside our heads." The penultimate guitar lead switches between left and right channels, immaculate and affecting. The album's best song is "Tides," twin guitar leads weave before the most impressive As Cities Burn chorus, which gives a new meaning to the word "driving." A close second is closer "Timothy," a thirteen minute lesson in restraint. The entire midsection is one big solo, clean-toned and calm with a distorted bass in the background. It doesn't lead to a conventional explosive ending, but rather to a quiet musing of "It's like sweet and dreamless sleep; it sounds like heaven to me."

Come Now Sleep is an album of connected themes - doubt, faith, loyalty, etc. In many ways, the last minute of "Timothy" is the perfect ending; not a distorted, attention-seeking ending, but a soft slipping into another realm. Heaven? Maybe, but probably not.

Trophy Scars Holy VacantsThe Menzingers Rented World
La Dispute Rooms of the HouseMiley Cyrus Bangerz
Letlive. The Blackest BeautifulKanye West Yeezus
Mark A. (4)
As Cities Burn have crafted an album that is incredibly dark thematically, while keeping it atmosphe...

David Shephard (5)
“I just… question Christianity. We’re growing up to be men, and now we’re looking at the rea...

Understanding In a Crash (3.5)
It might not be what fans of the 1st album are looking for, but it definitely still worth the shot. ...

sparklamb698 (3.5)
Massive Changes Ensure...But Averageness Isn't One Of Them....

trending alt & indie albums

If i could pos..i would

Digging: Invisible - El jardin de los presentes

Lucid
February 1st 2009

Enough with the 4.5s and 5s jeez louise!

Digging: FKA twigs - LP1

plane

stop liking stuff!

roofi
February 1st 2009

oh my god the first paragraph is my childhood exactly

contact is i think the best song ever written

Jom
February 1st 2009

oh man kutless is so horrible

February 1st 2009

Enough with the 4.5s and 5s jeez louise!

why

Golgoroth

Awesome review, awesome album

IAmInsect
February 1st 2009

this is a good album. one of the few good christian bands. they're good live too.

Tits McGee
February 1st 2009

Bands like Kutless, Skillet, etc. You know. Shit.

I lol'd.

Nice stufff chan. I may check them out if I feel like it.

Athom

^ this.

gaslightanthem
February 1st 2009

as cities burn are sick as shit

WhiteTieBlackJacket
February 1st 2009

I've listened to the record ACB released before this and I really enjoyed the emotion of the singer. For some reason, and it's really inexcusable, I haven't listened to them much. I need to give that CD a few more listens and maybe pick up this one as well.

I enjoyed the review. The whole "early childhood" thing was kind of how it worked out for me too.

Also, is the album art supposed to be Jesus after He was crucified? This Message Edited On 02.01.09

po0ty
February 1st 2009

i'll give this a listen, but this review annoyed the fuck out of me

aww

TricksterGRex

2087 Comments

HOW COULD YOU CHAN

ToWhatEnd
February 1st 2009

I'm embarrassed that I actually know who Kutless and Skillet are. Even more embarrassed to say I've seen them both live; hooray for Christian retreats/trips! Should probably check this out again, I haven't listened to it in months.

Golgoroth
February 1st 2009

Yes TWE listen to it again :O I thought it was really boring the first few times.

YouAreMySilence
February 1st 2009

if you listen to Contact, Clouds or Timothy and not be moved. Then you do not have a soul. Great review

big80smullet

Good review Good album.

I was unaware that thrice were a christian band. Thats 5 more albums i can listen to without jesus hating me :D

Captain North