Taking Back Sunday
Tell All Your Friends

by Channing Freeman STAFF
January 31st, 2009 | 740 replies | 52,505 views

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: sick of writing every song about you

Don't you just love giving albums a 5-star rating? I do. It used to be something I gave a lot of albums, and then I thought, Well shouldn't it be a sacred thing; only the best get it? But then I started listening to more music, having more bad days, connecting with more albums, thinking that maybe 5-star ratings aren't so exclusive after all. It's all subjective yeah, yeah, yeah, I've heard that whole story before. Whatever.

So what does that have to do with Taking Back Sunday? Well, when I was 14, they were kind of the shit. "A Decade Under The Influence" rocked my religiously-inclined mind. I saw the music video for "This Photograph Is Proof" and I remember thinking the bridge was spacey. Weird. (I hadn't heard Tell All Your Friends at that point.) Anyway, recently I became pretty addicted to Louder Now and then Where You Want To Be and then lastly Tell All Your Friends. I thought, This is good pop right here. I listened and listened day after day, eventually settling on Tell All Your Friends as my favorite, and I have some reasons for that and here they are.

I consider myself an atheist, but if there was a god his name is Adam Lazzara. Listen to Taking Back Sunday's music and at first he sounds kind of generic, not much of a standout, scratchy, annoys your friends, whatever. Metalheads hate him, etc. All the prerequisites are met. That's at first, remember. Time moves on, you come back to them, you hear lines like "You're such a sucker for a sweet talker" delivered with precision, every breath masterfully under control, every vocal stop-and-start planned out. Or maybe it's spontaneous. Spontaneous sounds better, yeah. It gives the performance a bit more mystique. The best is "Ghost Man On Third," all breathy intonations, ups and downs, spastic but in a laid back sort of way, a seizure in slow motion. There's also some lovely female vocals towards the end, courtesy of Michelle Nolan. "Cute Without The E" is the other obvious vocal standout, containing the aforementioned "sweet talker" line along with the classic "Why can't I feel anything from anyone other than you?". It is a shame that a vocal performance this nuanced and intricate should be passed over by so many. A scratch here, a break there, a whine somewhere else, a breath there. Notice these things. Love them.

Yeah, Tell All Your Friends is power chords and clean strums and palm muting and reverb. Is that such a big deal? With songs this good, it shouldn't be. Driving bass underneath "We won't stand for hazy eyes anymore," clean picked accentuation of "You've got this silly way of keeping me on the edge of my seat," roundabout drumming on top of "If we go down we go down together." It's all here, solid and undeniably catchy. Drum on your computer desk. Tap your fingers on your thigh. It's not so hard. You might like it. Try "You're So Last Summer," thick and dense with airy atmosphere, a relentless progression with crashing cymbals. If you're embarrassed, shut your door. Eventually you won't care anymore about whether a song has a solo or if there are blast beats or if that guy from Wintersun could have played a little less sloppy in 2004. Genres disappear. In their place? Just music. You're free now.

I got my palms read today. My lifelines are apparently very long (but at 60 I'm going to have an illness, such as diabetes or high blood pressure), so that means I have plenty of time to listen to this classic album. Assuming you have friends to tell, go do that.

Trophy Scars Holy VacantsThe Menzingers Rented World
La Dispute Rooms of the HouseMiley Cyrus Bangerz
Letlive. The Blackest BeautifulKanye West Yeezus

rasputin

album sucks neg

February 1st 2009

review is dedicated to dave de sylvia

DaveyBoy

20855 Comments

A casual reader pops into this website called SputnikMusic for the first time. He heads to the staff reviews and comes across this one.
(To be continued... Maybe)

they steer clear hopefully

Athom
February 1st 2009

I'm kinda surprised it took this long for a 5 star review for Tell All Your Friends

HighandDriving

Atheists go to hell.

Digging: Nightmares - Suspiria

scyther
February 1st 2009

You spelled a word wrong in the second paragraph but I'm not gonna tell ya which one. This review is casually mesmerizing.

Electric City
February 1st 2009

probably for a good reason

Digging: Alvvays - Alvvays

February 1st 2009

if it's spacey, google chrome told me that it is correct unlike spacy which i had at first

scyther

I became pretty addicted to Louder Now

TricksterGRex

2087 Comments

GOOGLE MOTHERFUCKING CHROME

Well then it's probably right.

Athom
February 1st 2009

bite your tongue mr. downer. album rules.

fuck

2087 Comments

gay

JokesorInsults
February 1st 2009

album rules but damn chan your musical tastes are pretty homosexual.

and it's sad that I like most of the same shit

YouAreMySilence
February 1st 2009

Louder Now is a little above boring, Where You Want To Be has some fantastic tunes but otherwise isn't very good either but this album is amazing!
Ghost Man On Third is Taking Back Sunday's best song, fantastic review.

okay i'll stay