Vanilla Ice
Mind Blowin'

by vanillaicefan USER (2 Reviews)
January 18th, 2009 | 42 replies | 9,157 views

Release Date: 1994 | Tracklist

After the success of his major label debut, To the Extreme, Vanilla Ice was faced with the task of coming up with something to prove that he wasn't just a one-trick pony. As a result, his third album, Mind Blowin', saw Ice reemerging with a sound entirely different from that of his first two releases. Ice's trademark flow remained, but the music diverged from traditional hip hop to rap-infused funk, performed mostly by a live band, rather than through samples. The result is something truly distinctive and original, and one of Ice's best efforts. "Fame" recounts Ice's rise to prominence, backed by a interpolation of Jimi Hendrix's "Voodoo Child", funky rhythms and bass lines. Backed by trippy horns, bong hits and dope beats, Ice lays down the pro-cannabis tribute "Roll 'Em Up". Sirens and synth lines give way for the hardcore beats of "Hit 'Em Hard", in which he directs disses at Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch and 3rd Bass:

I put it on ya hard
I'll make ya hurt well,
'cause you fell into my booby traps
No more "Good Vibrations",
I'm tired of your booty raps,
So I eat ya like Scooby Snacks,
And maybe roll you like a zig zag
Or smoke you like a hootie mac,
You did what I did,
So you're gonna lose kid,
'cause to me you're still a new kid on the block
Get off my jock,
Get off my diznok
Before you get dropped
For the beat-down

"Smooth Interlude" gives in for the sex rap "Now and Forever". "Iceman Party" is a cool hip hop track that will be sure to get your parties bouncing. "Oh My Gosh" and "Minutes of Power" pay tribute to Ice's fans and friends, with funky music and funkier rhymes. Ice again turns his mic to the ladies' ears, reminding his female listeners that "I Go Down". Another smooth track, "Blowin' My Mind", the self-explanatory "Phunky Rhymes" and the party hit "Get Loose" round out the set. Mind Blowin' is a strong step up from To the Extreme in terms of musical and lyrical quality. While To the Extreme is, indeed, a classic, Mind Blowin' inches forward to become the better of Ice's efforts, and stands out as one of Ice's best efforts -- an album that I guarantee will be a frequently-played title in your CD library. Highly recommended.

3.1
good

bastard
January 18th 2009

wow way to quote bad lyrics too much

ConorMichaelJoseph

Can only be a joke.
Vanilla Ice with a 4 rating? Ya right!

Phantom
January 18th 2009

He gets a 4 for his dancing in the Ice, Ice Baby video alone.

Half the review is made of lyric quotes, nowhere near enough critical content. Won't neg though.This Message Edited On 01.18.09

ealordofthedepths
January 18th 2009

so where the fuck is the review? u just quote lyrics. negged cuz i am an asshole

AtomicWaste

1985 Comments

With a name like "vanillaicefan," you know this is an objective review.

January 18th 2009

posting in a hiprockrules review

Douchebag
January 18th 2009

"Vanilla Ice was faced with the task of coming up with something to prove that he wasn't just a one-trick pony."

Well he didn't do a very good job :P
If you come down to Australia, everyone will only know 'Ice, Ice baby'. These records basically don't even exist down here.

January 18th 2009

they dont exist in the us either tbh

Metalstyles
January 18th 2009

hell they sure as hell don`t exist in the northern europe

NewYorkZoo

what?

Asiatic667
January 18th 2009

I've looked for TO THE EXTREME a couple times simply to get a hold of ice, ice baby, but no luck.

Review really doesn't cut it, but I won't neg

CrazyFool84
January 18th 2009

The hip-hop world must be missing the elegant poetry of the streets that Ice consistently spouted.

Asiatic667
January 18th 2009

I know what you're sayin. His flow was faultless, and he had no equal when it came to spittin' complex rhyme structures into the mic, LOL.

January 18th 2009

honestly, the murder rate has subsided ever since Ice stopped cooking MCs like a pound of bacon.This Message Edited On 01.18.09

AtavanHalen

Some party, huh, guys?

st4ytrue
January 18th 2009

Respect taste, if your gonna be a dick your gonna have to suck yourself.

Phantom

STFU, seriously.

January 18th 2009

Respect taste, if your gonna be a dick your gonna have to suck yourself.

.....what?