Inearthed
Ubiquitos Absence Of Remission (Demo)

by Simon Harris (SCREAM!) USER (56 Reviews)
January 15th, 2009 | 16 replies

Release Date: 1995 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Children Of Bodom playing REAL melo death

The controversy over whether Children Of Bodom plays melodic death metal or power metal leads to many arguments in the metal community. But listening to Inearthed’s demo, Ubiquitos Absence Of Remission, it is clear where their roots lie. Back in 1995 they were a melodic death metal band, and not a bad one either.

Listening to this demo, it is hard to tell this is the same band that would go on to become Children Of Bodom. Only very minor similarities are found between both bands.

The happy power metal guitar melodies are nowhere to be found. In their place are heavier, lower sounding guitar melodies layered over a rather simplistic but effective rhythm section. The songs are essentially guitar driven, following the weaving pattern of the melodies being laid out by the guitarists. A few clean passages are thrown into two songs (Translucent Image and Possessed) that complement the distorted leads nicely and throw in a new type of sound that was never explored by Children Of Bodom. The passages are always short but never sound forced or out of place. For example, in Possessed one of these passages is used as a background for the first half of a solo. This guitar switch in the middle of the solo is perfectly executed with the lead guitar following the change and making the whole thing sound epic.

The quick keyboards also are not present leaving place to a more ambient style that focuses on holding the note of the key the guitars are playing in. It does not bring much to the sound and is easily forgettable considering most of the time it has to be listened for to be heard.

The vocals on the album are what will be most shocking for anyone that is only used to listening to Children Of Bodom. It is a combination of mid ranged screams similar to those featured on Something Wild (mostly used in the song Shamed) and low death growls. The death growls have that cookie monster quality to them and are somewhat reminiscent of a less guttural version of the singer from Arghoslent. They fit the style and are executed surprisingly well by Laiho (who until hearing this I thought could only do mid ranged screams).

So is Inearthed better than Children Of Bodom? This could be debated but I do not think it should since it would almost be like compairing two completely different bands even though the members are the same. Both have their own set of qualities and their own style of metal.

Inearthed has managed to create a very enjoyable demo and I am honestly surprised it took them so long to get label attention. They show great technical ability in their respective instruments and songwriting skills that easily top the newer material Children Of Bodom has released.

Final rating: 3.75

SCREAM!

Agalloch The Serpent and the SphereForteresse / Chasse-Galerie / Monarque / Csejthe Légendes
Fuck the Facts AmerManeige Les Porches
Dark Castle Spirited MigrationSunn O))) ØØ Void

January 15th 2009

Dont know why the album art is screwing up.

Anyway haven written one of these in months so this probably sucks

Bfhurricane
January 15th 2009

Fix the picture! It blemishes the front page.
Are all the members of Inearthed the same as Children of Bodom? I could swear there was a female in this band. Anyways, should probably check this out, considering how much I love Hatebreeder. I'll throw a vote your way too.

Fixed the art problem

January 15th 2009

Alexi "Wildchild" Laiho - Vocals, Lead Guitar (1993-1997) (Impaled Nazarene, Kylähullut, Sinergy, Thy Serpent, Warmen)
Alexander Kuoppala - Rhythm Guitar (1995-1997) (Timo Rautiainen)
Henkka T. "Blacksmith" Seppälä - Bass (1995-1997) (Aivokasvain)
Jaska W. Raatikainen - Drums (1993-1997) (Evemaster, Gashouse Garden, Virtuocity)
Jani 'Pera' Pirisjoki - Keyboards (1996-1997)

band members accroding to:

Waior
January 15th 2009

I won't check this out, it's not for me -- but I wouldn't have figured out that if wasn't for your review! (I mean that in a non-condescending way. You explained what it is thoroughly enough that I know that it's not for me.)

fireaboveicebelow
January 15th 2009

dude you're going old school lol, this is one of the demos I actually haven't heard

January 15th 2009

As far as i know they only have three demos and this is the second of the three :S

bastard
January 15th 2009

but there shouldn't be arguement over this, CoB are power metal period. Heavy, tough guy power metal at that.

good review though.

January 15th 2009

There still is whether we like it or not

January 15th 2009

Laiho played in Impaled Nazarhene? Holy shizzle.... I agree with the previous Bastard on COB's power metal stance. Good work SCREAM!

Digging: Pharmakon - Abandon

fireaboveicebelow

I know, and I've heard Implosion Of Heaven and Shining, so

Wizard

19401 Comments

This sounds interesting. Good review Scream.

Digging: Khonsu - Traveller

Hawks
January 15th 2009

Good review scream. Short and to the point. This sounds pretty interesting.

Digging: Engraved - Before The Tales

Rugter32
January 15th 2009

I need to get this. CoB playing real melodeath must be simply awesome. And seeing how I am a fan of CoB and melodeath, then I'll be happy if I obtain this... someway.

January 15th 2009

Hurray for another successful review whoring!

rasputin
January 15th 2009

Seeing as CoB are absolutely terrible, I have doubts about whether I'd like this. Good job, anyway.