Klimt 1918
Just in Case We'll Never Meet Again

by Ethereal Space Yogurt USER (204 Reviews)
January 13th, 2009 | 10 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Sounds like: Interpol marrying U2 and having a gay Italian child with Katatonia. Features members of the Italian metal band The Foreshadowing.

2008 was a great year for music but more often than not, some of the stronger releases tended to be overlooked on sputnik and go by with little or no attention. This is one such case for the Italy based rock band Klimt 1918. The band originally formed in 1999 through the ashes of a death metal band called Another Day but that broke down soon paving way for a huge stylistic shift. I just discovered the band several months ago after reading several raving advertisements and reviews of their latest offering “Just In Case We’ll Never Meet Again.” The comparisons didn’t hurt either, with magazines describing Klimt1918 as blend of Interpol, U2, and Katatonia. Needless to say, I felt compelled to give this band a try although the hype was ridiculously overblown.

“Just In Case We’ll Never Meet Again’ is an interesting album to listen to because the band seems to transcend genres with relative ease. Klimt1918’s character so to speak channels some of the 90’s bigger indie and alternative rock bands around with a slight progressive bent , often incorporating post rock melodies and shoe gaze atmosphere complete with the lo-fi buzz saw tone pioneered by My Bloody Valentine. My favorite aspect of this band is the highly contagious guitar work. Very mellow and uplifting, the duo of Marco and Francesco excel at crafting luscious chord progressions often reminiscent of U2’s glory days. The sublime guitar melodies are wrapped around Marco’s charismatic vocals. His cleanly sung vocals are very powerful and at times ethereal in the sense of sounding very pleasant and welcoming to the ears. Although his accent lends the music a distinct Euro feel, the vocal patterns rarely shift to a new direction resulting in some of the tracks sounding a bit alike. The bass work while minimal, blends into the main and rhythm guitars nicely while opting for a more subtle behind the scenes approach.

The production is quite clean, allowing the guitars to drive the feeling and emotion of the music. As I said before though, Klimt1918 often try to incorporate shoe gaze atmosphere by adding a fuzzy layer of distortion stemming from rhythm guitar. I love shoe gaze but this added element doesn’t really benefit or downgrade the music. My feeling on the matter is neutral but I do have one complaint with this record. The songwriting patterns often imitate each other except for the occasional change in tempo. Other than that though, Klimt1918 have created one of the more interesting records of the year that fans of post rock and mellow alternative should check out. The direction of this band has shifted from gothic metal to indie rock so I am quite interested to see what happens next with Klimt1918.

Highlights:

Athom

often reminiscing of U2’s glory days

reminiscent

January 13th 2009

Red Forman with the save. It seems Sputnik is pretty inactive during the mid afternoon.

Digging: Reverend Bizarre - Return to the Rectory

MassiveAttack
January 13th 2009

I have nothing to say but this after watching "Man Bites Dog"

"cinema....Cinema.....ugh....CINEMAAAAAA!"

January 13th 2009

What kind of crap is this?

Willie
January 14th 2009

It seems Sputnik is pretty inactive during the mid afternoon.
You think it's inactive during the mid-afternoon, try only being on here between the hours of 11pm and 7am. Sometimes there isn't anyone here at all, it seems.
As for the album it sounds like it could be really good, but I'll have to get back to you on it.
I'm not trying to be an ass, but the review seems a little rushed

Knott-
January 14th 2009

can't fiiiiiiind this i like secession though

Mendigo
January 14th 2009

yeah, I liked this a lot upon first listen, but it grew off just a little since then. I still do love the awesome production - the shoegaze-guitars are so immensely thick. but like you said, the songs kinda repeat themselves after a while, the melodies and structures are all very similar to each other. but nonetheless it's a chilling album, though tbh I'm not sure whether I should really stick with my 3.5 rating, or give it only a 3.This Message Edited On 01.14.09

January 14th 2009

Well, I wrote this in about 15 minutes so it might come off rushed. Agree with you mendigo, all this really needs is a few superb stand out tarcks to be amazing.

fireaboveicebelow
January 27th 2009

I missed this but I want this I'm getting this

January 27th 2009

It's a solid album, and thanks. I'm supirsed at the lack of interest.